Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default OT, Bakersfield CA relocation.

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

"RogerN" on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:13:58 -0500 typed
I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I
work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work
and don't have a position open for what they need.

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter
for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I
wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of
money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post. This is a
28
hour drive from my current location and where my family lives.

Is that 28 hours "on the road"?

Yes, the map says 27 hours, 28 hours counting traffic.

I've found some positions I'm trying for within 5 or 6 hour drive that pay
in the $120k range, I'm thinking I'd want $150K to relocate to
Bakersfield,
but I don't know the cost of living there.

Try the following for general data. You can make a comparison
between two cities. Just keep in mind "YMMV", in terms of "less pay
but less cost of living" - "Same pay, lower COLA", or even "Am I
willing to take a pay cut to get into 'the field'?"

I agree, this makes it difficult when recruiters want to know how much pay
you're looking for. If it's a job I want bad enough and as close or closer
to home, I'd go for the same pay or perhaps a small pay cut. If I would
have to relocate, it depends on the cost of living at the new location and
the distance I'd be moving away from my family. Also the benefits are a
consideration. Bottom line is that I don't want to be worse off such as
equally adjusted pay with less benefits, longer drive, etc. I'd want the
position to cover the increase in my expenses for taking the job.

RogerN

snip
--
pyotr filipivich