Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, Bakersfield CA relocation.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:13:58 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I
work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work
and don't have a position open for what they need.

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter
for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I
wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of
money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post. This is a 28
hour drive from my current location and where my family lives. To consider
this position, I need an estimate of the cost of living in the Bakersfield
area. What I want would be enough money to equal what I make now plus the
additional cost of living in Bakersfield (a place to live plus utilities)
plus enough to fly my family home multiple times per year.

I've found some positions I'm trying for within 5 or 6 hour drive that pay
in the $120k range, I'm thinking I'd want $150K to relocate to Bakersfield,
but I don't know the cost of living there.

RogerN

Cost of living in Bakersfield...is quite inexpensive. So is housing
Bakersfield is well laid out and very easy to get around in. Crime is
low.

However..some things to consider.

Its California. Bakersfield is in the middle of a nice Red zone. CCW
is easy to get. Fishing is good with a lot of lakes within a 2 hour
drive.

Housing is inexpensive..though gettting higher as the housing bubble
inflates again. No "assault rifles" allowed..(see link below)

If you want a cheaper place than IN Bakersfield..there are many rural
properties that can be had very reasonably. $80 will get you a nice
home, with a big shop, on an acre.
Travel time is about 1 minute a mile..so if you decide you want to
live 15 minutes away..thats about 15 miles.

Bakersfield temps in the winter time run from mid 30s-70F
Summer time temps run from 90-107F, with humidity around 12-30%.. so
swamp coolers work nicely. We are in the middle of an Ag area..so
there are a gazillion miles of farms around us.

Call me if you want any further info or to chat about the area
805-732-5308

If you can get a job with Chevron..JUMP on it. Its a lifetime career
and they offer very..very good retirement.

I live 30 miles outside of Bakersfield, in Taft, which is also
surrounded by Chevron etc etc..

And it should be mentioned again..its California. A very nice Red
part..but its California.

I would suggest either picking up an RV and putting it in an RV park
and flying home every other weekend, or simply renting a small
house/apartment until you decide THIS is your path and start looking
for a home..and there are loads available within 20 miles of
Bakersfield for well under $150k on big rural lots.

Schools here in Kern Co are quite good, they are well paid for by oil
company taxes and they are not as Leftwing as many other places.
But..it IS California. Ive lived here for 30+ yrs and have had many
opportunities to move. Shrug..I like it here. And Im as rednecked as
they come.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"