steamer

Default Bakersfield, Vegas: what to see?

--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Somehow related
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Lumpy Adams...
Wayne Lundberg

The Boulder Dam tour for anybody interested in mechanics, horsepower,
inventiveness and daring. Also portions of the old route 66 which is
abundant with history and nostalgia.

Wayne

"steamer" wrote in message
--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Somehow related
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Lumpy Adams...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Howard R Garner

steamer wrote:
--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

Small hobby shop on the east side of town out towards Henderson. Be
sure to dig through the boxes of small parts.

Boulder Dam, Take the hard hat tour if you can, you get to go inside
the dam itself.

Nevada Railway Muesum in Boulder City? Many locomotives and cars.
You might even catch them running thier tourist train.

Clark County Museum in Henderson?? a 0-4-0 and some other stuff.

Checked all this out back on Labor Day.

Howard
Pickens, SC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:14:37 -0500, Howard R Garner
wrote:

steamer wrote:
--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

Small hobby shop on the east side of town out towards Henderson. Be
sure to dig through the boxes of small parts.

Boulder Dam, Take the hard hat tour if you can, you get to go inside
the dam itself.

Nevada Railway Muesum in Boulder City? Many locomotives and cars.
You might even catch them running thier tourist train.

Clark County Museum in Henderson?? a 0-4-0 and some other stuff.

Checked all this out back on Labor Day.

Howard
Pickens, SC

Then there's the Las Vegas Museum of Natural History -- complete with
life-size audio-animotronic dinosaurs. It's on the Strip, too.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Gunner

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:44:15 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

Bakersfield...
California Living Museum (native animals) "CALM"
Pioneer Village
Buck Owens Crystal Palace (dinner and Country Music

30 miles out in Taft

Taft Oil Museum, very well done museum on the early oil days, quite a
bit of machinery, blacksmith shops, machine shops, etc

Also within 4 blocks of Gunners Stuff. Bring trailer.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:29:20 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:44:15 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

Bakersfield...
California Living Museum (native animals) "CALM"
Pioneer Village
Buck Owens Crystal Palace (dinner and Country Music

30 miles out in Taft

Taft Oil Museum, very well done museum on the early oil days, quite a
bit of machinery, blacksmith shops, machine shops, etc

Also within 4 blocks of Gunners Stuff. Bring trailer.

I'll have to make that trip sometime, after the mountains stop
being all white on top. You're only 628.91 miles away according
to Mapquest.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Gunner

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:00:18 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:29:20 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:44:15 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

Bakersfield...
California Living Museum (native animals) "CALM"
Pioneer Village
Buck Owens Crystal Palace (dinner and Country Music

30 miles out in Taft

Taft Oil Museum, very well done museum on the early oil days, quite a
bit of machinery, blacksmith shops, machine shops, etc

Also within 4 blocks of Gunners Stuff. Bring trailer.

I'll have to make that trip sometime, after the mountains stop
being all white on top. You're only 628.91 miles away according
to Mapquest.

Bring a sleeping bag, and a trailer G

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:11:09 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:29:20 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:44:15 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Road trip to CES. Anything shop-ish to see along the way??

Bakersfield...
California Living Museum (native animals) "CALM"
Pioneer Village
Buck Owens Crystal Palace (dinner and Country Music

30 miles out in Taft

Taft Oil Museum, very well done museum on the early oil days, quite a
bit of machinery, blacksmith shops, machine shops, etc

Also within 4 blocks of Gunners Stuff. Bring trailer.

I'll have to make that trip sometime, after the mountains stop
being all white on top. You're only 628.91 miles away according
to Mapquest.

Bring a sleeping bag, and a trailer G

I'll wuss out and stay at my sister's in Concord on the way down
and at Mom's in Vallejo on the way back. It's almost the exact halfway
point. It's also cheaper that way: they feed me and I get my exercise
doing things for them they can't do themselves. I definitely need
to install that pickup-bed crane before coming down, though. No
trailer. Ping me offline, will ya?

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Uhaul rents em cheap G
And plan on at least a full day going through Stuff.
My email is valid

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:21:17 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

I said:
I'll wuss out and stay at my sister's in Concord on the way down
and at Mom's in Vallejo on the way back. It's almost the exact halfway
point. It's also cheaper that way: they feed me and I get my exercise
doing things for them they can't do themselves. I definitely need
to install that pickup-bed crane before coming down, though. No
trailer. Ping me offline, will ya?

Uhaul rents em cheap G

Not up here they don't. Rental cars are about double here what I've
rented them for in any other place so far in the contiguous U.S.,
AK, and HI. I paid $50/day in Anchorage and they want $80 here. I
don't dare ask what they get for a trailer.

And plan on at least a full day going through Stuff.

That's what I'm afraid of. Do you take plastic? g

My email is valid

You should have mine already, as I do both of yours.

See you in the Spring!

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Gunner

I said:
I'll wuss out and stay at my sister's in Concord on the way down
and at Mom's in Vallejo on the way back. It's almost the exact halfway
point. It's also cheaper that way: they feed me and I get my exercise
doing things for them they can't do themselves. I definitely need
to install that pickup-bed crane before coming down, though. No
trailer. Ping me offline, will ya?

Uhaul rents em cheap G

Not up here they don't. Rental cars are about double here what I've
rented them for in any other place so far in the contiguous U.S.,
AK, and HI. I paid $50/day in Anchorage and they want $80 here. I
don't dare ask what they get for a trailer.

Gack!!! Uhaul trucks around here are $19.95 a day.

And plan on at least a full day going through Stuff.

That's what I'm afraid of. Do you take plastic? g

As desperate as I am to get my yard back...it wont take too many
presidents to transfer a significant amount of stock to your
vehicle...

My email is valid

You should have mine already, as I do both of yours.

See you in the Spring!

Will do.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:38:44 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

Gack!!! Uhaul trucks around here are $19.95 a day.

That was the sub-compact rental car price. Just for kicks, I'll see
what they get for trailers here and see what kind of loads they can
handle.

And plan on at least a full day going through Stuff.

That's what I'm afraid of. Do you take plastic? g

As desperate as I am to get my yard back...it wont take too many
presidents to transfer a significant amount of stock to your
vehicle...

My shop (2-car with attached house) is already pretty full with
woodworking gear, my main hobby. That's why I'm looking for a small
setup (ideally, a Sherline/Taig/Homier mill and maybe a 7x12 lathe.)
If I -don't- bring a trailer, I won't be as tempted to get carried
away, knowwhatImean,Vern?

See you in the Spring!

Will do.

I don't like driving a 2WD in the snow and wouldn't even think of
hauling iron through the icy mountain passes. Let me know if any
"iron trains" go past me in the interim. Would that Hales fit in a
Greyhound cargo hold?

wrote:

Also within 4 blocks of Gunners Stuff. Bring trailer.

I'll have to make that trip sometime, after the mountains stop
being all white on top. You're only 628.91 miles away according
to Mapquest.

Not very far, less than 1 day's drive each way
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:07:24 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:38:44 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

Gack!!! Uhaul trucks around here are $19.95 a day.

That was the sub-compact rental car price. Just for kicks, I'll see
what they get for trailers here and see what kind of loads they can
handle.

Gunner: That's a trick they pull on their trucks - they put the
$19.95 on the side in big numbers, but there's small print under it.
That's $19.95 per 8-hour period, not per day - that works out to
$59.85 a day, plus mileage.

Larry: If your area is having a big exodus problem, they charge a lot
more for trucks and trailers, always quoting the One Way rate when you
call for the rates unless you specify Round Trip - because people will
try playing the 'Gotcha Game' of beating 'Company U' down on the One
Way rate by quoting the (Round Trip) rate from 'Company R'...

When all of their rolling stock leaves One Way for other parts, they
have to pay someone to drive more equipment back in for repositioning,
though they'll stack and stuff trailers so one truck has three
trailers and two car dollies.

Call the corporate offices of the rental companies and see if they
need to reposition any trucks or trailers to Oregon - you might get
the use of the equipment for almost free if you go pick it up where
there's a big surplus.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:05:47 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
calmly ranted:

wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:38:44 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

Gack!!! Uhaul trucks around here are $19.95 a day.

That was the sub-compact rental car price. Just for kicks, I'll see
what they get for trailers here and see what kind of loads they can
handle.

Gunner: That's a trick they pull on their trucks - they put the
$19.95 on the side in big numbers, but there's small print under it.
That's $19.95 per 8-hour period, not per day - that works out to
$59.85 a day, plus mileage.

Ain't -that- quaint!?

Larry: If your area is having a big exodus problem, they charge a lot
more for trucks and trailers, always quoting the One Way rate when you
call for the rates unless you specify Round Trip - because people will
try playing the 'Gotcha Game' of beating 'Company U' down on the One
Way rate by quoting the (Round Trip) rate from 'Company R'...

When all of their rolling stock leaves One Way for other parts, they
have to pay someone to drive more equipment back in for repositioning,
though they'll stack and stuff trailers so one truck has three
trailers and two car dollies.

Call the corporate offices of the rental companies and see if they
need to reposition any trucks or trailers to Oregon - you might get
the use of the equipment for almost free if you go pick it up where
there's a big surplus.

AFAIK, there's no U-haul locally, but I can check Medford. Thanks for
the tip. I'll do that before I leave.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen

wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, Oregon is the one place they _don't_ need more rental
trucks and trailers. The circulation pattern in those things is a big
clockwise circle, starting in New England and ending in the Pacific
Northwest.

If you're coming from Oregon to Las Vegas and back, ask about the
round-trip rate from your local U-Haul place. It might be a lot
cheaper than renting one one-way in Las Vegas.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:09:42 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

AFAIK, there's no U-haul locally, but I can check Medford. Thanks for
the tip. I'll do that before I leave.

Ryder, Budget, IdeaLease, Penske... U-Haul isn't the only one.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
steamer

--OK I'll bite; send me yer address and I'll drop by if I get the
chance. My major goal for the day is still to poke my head in the door at
Scaled Composites tho... ;-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Goodbye 2004...
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : ...and good riddance!
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Gunner

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:52:25 GMT, steamer wrote:

--OK I'll bite; send me yer address and I'll drop by if I get the
chance. My major goal for the day is still to poke my head in the door at
Scaled Composites tho... ;-)

who is this directed to?

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:29:40 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
calmly ranted:

wrote:

AFAIK, there's no U-haul locally, but I can check Medford. Thanks for
the tip. I'll do that before I leave.

Ryder, Budget, IdeaLease, Penske... U-Haul isn't the only one.

There's a Budget here, and several of the equipment rental places
have trailers, but none of the big rental guys advertise in the
Jello Pages here in Grants Pass.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

steamer

--Directed to Gunner but too late I'm already in Vegas!
Connectivity sucks but, curiously, my cellphone works better in the Mojave
and here than it ever did in California.
--Will tell ya all about it when I get back.. ;-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Goodbye 2004...
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : ...and good riddance!
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Gunner

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:37:53 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Directed to Gunner but too late I'm already in Vegas!
Connectivity sucks but, curiously, my cellphone works better in the Mojave
and here than it ever did in California.
--Will tell ya all about it when I get back.. ;-)

Damn. G

Oh well...you will be coming through again.

Mi Casa, Su Casa.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio