Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default OT, Bakersfield CA relocation.

In article , RogerN
wrote:

I have found my current career path at a dead end because of the company I
work for. I have gained the skills they need but they outsource the work
and don't have a position open for what they need.

Where do you currently live?

Anyway, I'm open to relocation now and have been contacted by a recruiter
for a position in Bakersfield CA. at Chevron. I told the recruiter that I
wouldn't' be interested unless the position paid an outrageous amount of
money. He asked how much I have in mind, and hence this post.

Recruiters always ask this question in some form, and it's a sucker's
bet to answer with a number.

The fact is that they are not going to pay more than the rates that
their competitors would pay, so if you are too high you don't get the
job, and if you are too low you just left money on the table.

My answer always was some form of the "market will decide so I'll be
comparing offers".

An added factor to be consider: If you are in an isolated location,
and the dream job ends (business downturn, need to get costs under
control, boss don't like your haircut, and so on), where else can one
get a job, and will it be in any sense comparable? Said another way,
one is generally better off in places with complicated economies, as
the various sub-economies usually vary independently of one another.

But Petroleum does pay well, and is pretty stable.

Joe Gwinn