Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default product endorsement for leaky basements

I have a 35 year old house with my shop in the basement
(metalworking content) and it has developed a leak at
a crack in the wall. I looked around online and
found a kit that looked like it might work.
The outfit is LCR - liquid concrete repair.

The system is you glue up the crack with pretty ordinary
epoxy stuff, but include injection ports every foot
or so. Then, after that epoxy hardens, you mix up
a tube of much thinner epoxy and inject it into the
ports with a caulking gun. I did a bad job on the first
part, there were several leaks where I didn't get all
the branches of the crack sealed, or had little leaks
around the injection ports. So, when I injected the
stuff into the crack, it started leaking out.

Also, the crack is VERY narrow at the bottom, where the
water was leaking in, and I used huge pressure on the
caulking gun but couldn't get much of the sealant to
flow in. It flowed easily near the top of the crack.

So, I was a little worried I hadn't gotten the sealing
stuff deep enough into the crack. But, we had some serious
rains last week, and not a drop came through! This isn't
an absolute guarantee that the leak is fixed, as it could
be very unpredictable which rain would cause a leak.
But, it is looking quite likely it is fixed.

The kit cost something like $78, you get 2 huge pots
of the surface sealing epoxy, and two tubes of the
liquid sealer. I only used one tube.

Just thought if somebody else has the same problem, they
might try this stuff.

For the little leaks in the concrete form tie rods which
eventually rust out and leak, I made up my own system.
First, you get a 1/2" diamond core drill at Lowe's, they
are about $18. Drill around the leaky rod about 3/4"
deep. Then, try to either bash the rod deeper into the wall,
or if that fails, torch it off. I used an Oxy-MAPP
torch, heated it white hot and then quickly grabbed it with
pliers and twisted. Sometimes it took several heating/
twisting cycles to get the exposed rod to break off.
Then, when the wall cools, clean the hole of all
loose concrete and fill it with JB weld. I bet you could
also use PC-7, which is a lot cheaper. So far, this
system is also working.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 20:28:55 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

I have a 35 year old house with my shop in the basement
(metalworking content) and it has developed a leak at
a crack in the wall. I looked around online and
found a kit that looked like it might work.
The outfit is LCR - liquid concrete repair.

I'm a basement shop guy too. Its a walk out so I can drag in all sorts
of projects. Got one huge crack that really leaks. i'll give this
stuff a try.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 35 year old house with my shop in the basement
(metalworking content) and it has developed a leak at
a crack in the wall. I looked around online and
found a kit that looked like it might work.
The outfit is LCR - liquid concrete repair.

I'm a basement shop guy too. Its a walk out so I can drag in all sorts
of projects. Got one huge crack that really leaks. i'll give this
stuff a try.

I hope it works as well as mine seems to have done. One comment,
if the crack is really narrow, hair thin, at the bottom, I probably
should have used a small masonry bit to drill into the crack just
near the very bottom (where the leak is, of course) to allow the
sealer to flow deeper into the crack. Then, you'd put the injection
port right over the drilled hole. But, anyway, we had another big
thunderstorm this morning, and it is still holding.

I'm a HAPPY camper! I HATE leaky basements, with all the stuff
I have there.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 35 year old house with my shop in the basement
(metalworking content) and it has developed a leak at
a crack in the wall. I looked around online and
found a kit that looked like it might work.
The outfit is LCR - liquid concrete repair.

I'm a basement shop guy too. Its a walk out so I can drag in all sorts
of projects. Got one huge crack that really leaks. i'll give this
stuff a try.

Karl

The process that seams to work best up here is one where they drill
into the crack at an angle, so the bore catches the crack about
mid-wall. They inject a resin - I think it is a poly-urethane - not
sure - and it fills the crack from the center out, both ways with an
expanding and somewhat flexible material that REALLY sticks to the
concrete.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A house is not a submarine. If it is sitting in a wet area with
improper drainage, water from outside will find its way in.

I had a leaky basement too. That house was next to a river. Sold it
and got one on a hill, with proper drainage. No more leaky basement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16101 wrote:

A house is not a submarine. If it is sitting in a wet area with
improper drainage, water from outside will find its way in.

I had a leaky basement too. That house was next to a river. Sold it
and got one on a hill, with proper drainage. No more leaky basement.

This house had been tight, but during really heavy rains (like
6" in one-two days) we would get a puddle from this crack. Otherwise
it was quite watertight. So, I wanted to see if I could fix it, but
didn't want to spend big bucks for some contractor to come in and
do it. It seems the $76 or so kit has done the job!

The house is somewhat U shaped, with the U facing toward the uphill
grade. That probably is a bit of a mistake.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 35 year old house with my shop in the basement
(metalworking content) and it has developed a leak at
a crack in the wall. I looked around online and
found a kit that looked like it might work.
The outfit is LCR - liquid concrete repair.

I'm a basement shop guy too. Its a walk out so I can drag in all sorts
of projects. Got one huge crack that really leaks. i'll give this
stuff a try.

The other way to solve the issue is to make a "dam" of
silicone sealant around the room near the walls.. Something like
5cm from the wall. Then either leave the water there and
let evaporate (if small amounts) or use the same silicone
to couple of thin plastic tube from dam to drain.. Use
same colour silicone as floor (say, light gray) and the dam
is practically invisible.

Works well!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16101 wrote:
A house is not a submarine. If it is sitting in a wet area with
improper drainage, water from outside will find its way in.

I had a leaky basement too. That house was next to a river. Sold it
and got one on a hill, with proper drainage. No more leaky basement.

you sort of have a point here about floods not really being too
surprising.

Here in Chicago if you're the lowest point on the block and your drains
are clogged, you're going to flood and that's that.

People still get shocked by this when it happens over, and over, and over
again.

Any place with a sump pit is also a warning the place has and will flood
again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus16101 wrote:
A house is not a submarine. If it is sitting in a wet area with
improper drainage, water from outside will find its way in.

I had a leaky basement too. That house was next to a river. Sold it
and got one on a hill, with proper drainage. No more leaky basement.

you sort of have a point here about floods not really being too
surprising.

Here in Chicago if you're the lowest point on the block and your drains
are clogged, you're going to flood and that's that.

People still get shocked by this when it happens over, and over, and over
again.

Any place with a sump pit is also a warning the place has and will flood
again.

I have a sump pit in my house, and it never floods. The sump does work
during rains.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 20:48:04 -0500, Ignoramus21087

On 2014-04-14, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus16101 wrote:
A house is not a submarine. If it is sitting in a wet area with
improper drainage, water from outside will find its way in.

I had a leaky basement too. That house was next to a river. Sold it
and got one on a hill, with proper drainage. No more leaky basement.

you sort of have a point here about floods not really being too
surprising.

Here in Chicago if you're the lowest point on the block and your drains
are clogged, you're going to flood and that's that.

People still get shocked by this when it happens over, and over, and over
again.

Any place with a sump pit is also a warning the place has and will flood
again.

I have a sump pit in my house, and it never floods. The sump does work
during rains.

I won't buy a house that needs a sump pump. Period. If your sump pump
fails, what happens??? The house floods.
When does power fail? During storms.
When does the sump pump run? During storms.
1+1=2 It is THAT simple

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus16101 wrote:
[...]

Nor would I buy a house below street level. Both the driveway and
landscaping funnel water toward the house.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus16101 wrote:
[...]

We had a house in Midland, Michigan for 9 years, built in the '70's.
No sump, and it didn't flood in a major flood in the early '90's, when
probably 80% of the houses did. ALL new construction in Midland after
that was required to have a sump in the basement.

We did finally get a leak, fixed by excavating and renewing the
waterproofing on the outside. That was to put the place on the
market.

No basements here in Texas. I miss the space, but not the worry. And
now that we built a shop, I don't miss the space.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus16101 wrote:
[...]

Not buying a house with a sump pump pretty well guarantees you won't
be buying below street level ---1+1+1+3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

I won't buy a house that needs a sump pump. Period. If your sump pump

fails, what happens??? The house floods.

When does power fail? During storms.

When does the sump pump run? During storms.

1+1=2 It is THAT simple

Well that is a simple minded approach. On the other hand how much does a generator that will run the sump pump cost? 1+1+1=0

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus16101 wrote:
[...]

To clarify, I meant only that the building lot was below the street.
The first house we lived in California was on the side of a hill,
above the road, and the house across the street had a dipping
driveway. Their roof was just even with the roadway. When it rained
heavily (not often in Vista), even after they did some drainage work,
water came down the driveway in the front door.

'Course, I've never lived in a state where basements were a standard
item, either. The few I've been in were mostly cold, damp, and had a
feeling of closeness. One finished basement I recall was quite low,
7' less beams.

I guess that up there, in the Great White North, you have to build
below the frost level or the foundations are spit up out of the
ground.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus16101 wrote:
A house is not a submarine. If it is sitting in a wet area with
improper drainage, water from outside will find its way in.

I had a leaky basement too. That house was next to a river. Sold it
and got one on a hill, with proper drainage. No more leaky basement.

you sort of have a point here about floods not really being too
surprising.

Here in Chicago if you're the lowest point on the block and your drains
are clogged, you're going to flood and that's that.

People still get shocked by this when it happens over, and over, and over
again.

Any place with a sump pit is also a warning the place has and will flood
again.

I have a sump pit in my house, and it never floods. The sump does work
during rains.

the fact that you need to pump out water is a sign of poor location,
design or construction in the first place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-16, Larry Jaques wrote:
'Course, I've never lived in a state where basements were a standard
item, either. The few I've been in were mostly cold, damp, and had a
feeling of closeness. One finished basement I recall was quite low,
7' less beams.

I have a great finished basement. Always dry, well lit, friendly to
kids and adults.

Two sump pumps, one 110v and one has a 12v battery backup. Also a
generator, if necessary, to run the whole house.

The pumps are connected to separate pipes to spit out the water, for
extra safety and simplicity. No check valves, "Y" valves etc.

The pumps only work in rainy weather.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:32:25 PM UTC-7, Clare wrote:

I won't buy a house that needs a sump pump. Period. If your sump pump
fails, what happens??? The house floods.
When does power fail? During storms.
When does the sump pump run? During storms.

1+1=2 It is THAT simple

Not really. Snowstorms, for instance, don't quickly raise the ground
water level. A proper sump is a foot or two below your basement floor,
so water removal need only be reliable enough that ground water
doesn't rise that far before power is restored.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default track and train building on Lone Ranger movie set

Take a look. Pretty interesting.

H&S

Wonder why movies need to gross $200 Million? This is just
amazing!!!!!
A railroad built from the ground up, including rolling stock,

? for the movie The Lone Ranger.

The train set was built in NM.

This is worth watching!!!!!

Click https://www.youtube.com/embed/mdXTXWpIYgQ

protection is active.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:19:16 PM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote:

So now you need a generator to run a pump or your place floods? Sounds

half-assed, like a roof that leaks and falls apart if gets wet or

something like that- "just install a heater and fans to keep it from

falling apart like a wet paper towel".

Unless you live in a gigantic building with basements going down many

stories you should not need a sump pump, unless the place is just poorly

situated and built.

I was replying to Larry's comment that he would not buy a house with a sump pump because the power might fail. Buying a generator is an easy fix for power failures. They are not only good for sump pumps , but also for refrigerators , lights and other things.

I certainly would not hesitate to buy a house with a sump pump if that was the only problem with the house.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 05:20:12 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

I won't buy a house that needs a sump pump. Period. If your sump pump

fails, what happens??? The house floods.

When does power fail? During storms.

When does the sump pump run? During storms.

1+1=2 It is THAT simple

Well that is a simple minded approach. On the other hand how much does a generator that will run the sump pump cost? 1+1+1=0

Dan

And if you are not home?????

I have a generator that will pretty well run the whole house. But I
won't need to start it to keep my basement dry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:19:16 PM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I was replying to Larry's comment that he would not buy a house with a
sump pump because the power might fail. Buying a generator is an easy
fix for power failures. They are not only good for sump pumps , but
also for refrigerators , lights and other things.

I certainly would not hesitate to buy a house with a sump pump if that
was the only problem with the house.

Dan

==============

Plumbing can fail too.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:20:20 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

And if you are not home?????

I have a generator that will pretty well run the whole house. But I

won't need to start it to keep my basement dry.

I have a friend in the Houston area that has a generator that will run his whole house. It uses natural gas so no problems with running out of gasoline
It will run his whole house air conditioning. It starts up once a week as a check that the battery is good , etc. and of course starts up if the power goes off.

It supplied his house with electricity far a week or ten days a few years back after a hurricane. But I do not think he has a basement or a sump pump.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 05:48:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

'Course, I've never lived in a state where basements were a standard
item, either. The few I've been in were mostly cold, damp, and had a
feeling of closeness. One finished basement I recall was quite low,
7' less beams.

I guess that up there, in the Great White North, you have to build
below the frost level or the foundations are spit up out of the
ground.

In Michigan where I grew up....primarily starting right after WW2..a
lot of young couples built a basement..or the inlaws built them a nice
tight snug basement and put a decent roof on it..using the stud
patterns needed to build a house above it..and that was often the
wedding present to the young couple.

As they progressed financially, they would build the rest of the house
above it over time.

This can be tracked with some accuracy by any house in that area of
the country that has a bathroom in the basement..quite often with
tub/shower.

The basements were generally built above ground enough to put windows
all around at ground level (another tracking trait) and were very
warm, comfy and livable.

You would arrive and find a vehicle parked in front of what looked
like a fish shanty with a long tapered back wall. This was the entry.
Open the door..often there would be a vestibule for shoes, boots and
coats, with a second door going down a flight of steps to the home
itself. In the winter..this was a bit "odd" to those from outside the
state.

A lot of those homes had Aladdin Kit Homes put on top of them
(google it) within a few years.

Im totally unable to find any photos of what was once a very..very
common home. Interesting

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In the Northeast basements may have direct access through a
"bulkhead":
http://www.callstevens.com/doors_bulkhead.htm

I grew up in a brick and stone house built in 1830 that had one,
possibly original. Hardly anything had been changed in that house
since the 1920's. In winter someone had to get up at 3AM to stoke the
coal furnace.

An engineer I worked for began his house with only the basement. The
toilet was on a home-made elevator that raised it to the ceiling to
flush it.
jsw