Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for metal or plastic bezels?

I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

I sourced these panels from China and none of the sellers have any
clue for bezels. I don't think their translators handled that
conversation very well. sigh

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lFrontBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...PanelSizes.jpg
Retainer depth of about 3mm.
Opening for LEDs: 52-55mm W x 36-36.5mm

Qty needed: 1 dozen.
Budget for this project: $10.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 21:10:11 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

I sourced these panels from China and none of the sellers have any
clue for bezels. I don't think their translators handled that
conversation very well. sigh

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lFrontBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...PanelSizes.jpg
Retainer depth of about 3mm.
Opening for LEDs: 52-55mm W x 36-36.5mm

Qty needed: 1 dozen.
Budget for this project: $10.

Find a pallet with some good looking wood. Put it on your
CNC router; cut out a bunch of nice looking and precisely
fitted frames. Cost of $0 (aside from time to program the
CNC and/or any broken router bits).

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

I sourced these panels from China and none of the sellers have any
clue for bezels. I don't think their translators handled that
conversation very well. sigh

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lFrontBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...PanelSizes.jpg
Retainer depth of about 3mm.
Opening for LEDs: 52-55mm W x 36-36.5mm

Qty needed: 1 dozen.
Budget for this project: $10.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

Take the cheap foam tape off and buy some good 3M automotive trim tape.
It will be gray thin foam with red peel strip.

Auto parts store has it in various widths. It is the stuff that holds
the trim on most cars these days.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

I sourced these panels from China and none of the sellers have any
clue for bezels. I don't think their translators handled that
conversation very well. sigh

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lFrontBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...PanelSizes.jpg
Retainer depth of about 3mm.
Opening for LEDs: 52-55mm W x 36-36.5mm

Qty needed: 1 dozen.
Budget for this project: $10.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

An array of high brightness LEDs on an aluminum core board like that usually
wants to be heat sunk pretty well to get optimum lifetime. Either the board
is screwed to a heatsink with thermal grease in between, or it is attached
with thermally conductive double-sided tape like this:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Thermally-C...sim_sbs_misc_4
Not sure where to find small quantities of this stuff.

You probably will not find bezels made for these since they are usually put
behind diffusers to make uniform panel lights or backlights.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 01:38:57 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

And I don't think that's an actual 3M logo on the tape. Chinese
ripoff probably.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

This, replace the knock off "3W" tape with real 3M high bond tape and
forget about ever removing it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 10:10*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. *The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

I sourced these panels from China and none of the sellers have any
clue for bezels. *I don't think their translators handled that
conversation very well. *sigh

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...PanelSizes.jpg
Retainer depth of about 3mm.
Opening for LEDs: 52-55mm W x 36-36.5mm

Qty needed: 1 dozen.
Budget for this project: $10. *

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Louis L'Amour

Have you looked a the usual suspects for such, like Mouser or Digi-
Key? Even Jameco had them decades back. Probably more like $10@,
though. $10 will just about get you a roll of aluminum tape and an
Xacto knife...

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

snip

RTV caulk/adhesive usually handles heat pretty well. There are more
expensive high temp versions too. Lay a thick bead along the outside
edge and use the original tape to hold it in place till it sets up.

Looks like there is already one hole through it. Can you drill another
in the opposite corner and just screw it down?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:09:46 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Another reason for the bezel was crash
proofing, protecting the teensy LEDs. These are going on flashlights.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 08:54:24 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Jun 4, 10:10*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Stan. I hadn't thought of those sources and will check with
'em.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/5/2013 00:10, Larry Jaques wrote:
I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

I sourced these panels from China and none of the sellers have any
clue for bezels. I don't think their translators handled that
conversation very well. sigh

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lFrontBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...PanelSizes.jpg
Retainer depth of about 3mm.
Opening for LEDs: 52-55mm W x 36-36.5mm

Qty needed: 1 dozen.
Budget for this project: $10.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

How about a light switch cover? Cut out the correct size square & Bob's
your uncle.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Or cellular PVC trim board i.e. Azek or it's clones, cheap and easy to
machine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Another reason for the bezel was crash
proofing, protecting the teensy LEDs. These are going on flashlights.

If no CNC router, time to learn the joys of low-budget 3D printing the
old fashioned way. Which is secret code words for less than $10 worth of
hot glue - popsicle sticks optional but can be very useful, and
hopefully you already have a hot glue gun, because the sub $10 models
are not that nice. In low budget, there is no printer other than you
manipulating the hot glue gun....

If you want to bolt them on, insert nuts and bolts before applying glue,
and capture the nuts.

I've remanufactured quite a few laptop power supply cords using nothing
more (after cutting the old plastic down to find the plug, cutting out
the shredded section of wire near the plug, and resoldering the wires to
the plug.) Sections of popsicle stick provide some non-melty linearity
and a bit more strength.

You could also use RTV Silicone, or polyurethane, in the "aka Caulk"
form. Just takes longer to harden.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/5/2013 12:10 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I have to retain some little LED panels to a flat surface. The 3M
doublestick adhesive foam is proving to have less than stellar
performance after they warm up for awhile.

I sourced these panels from China and none of the sellers have any
clue for bezels. I don't think their translators handled that
conversation very well. sigh

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lFrontBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...PanelSizes.jpg
Retainer depth of about 3mm.
Opening for LEDs: 52-55mm W x 36-36.5mm

Qty needed: 1 dozen.
Budget for this project: $10.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

Cut the male and female patterns from ply and stack pieces of Formica
and rout them out with a bit with a roller to follow the pattern. Hold
the parts with screws and washers clamping them in place. Zing!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/5/2013 8:52 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Tom, did you notice how small the LEDs were?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 17:03:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 08:54:24 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Jun 4, 10:10*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

Mouser, DigiKey, Allied Electronics, All Electronics - all NOGO.
Jameco website under construction, site down. (really stupid, huh?)
PRDproducts.com has potential. Email sent.

Thanks again, guys.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/5/2013 9:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell

Great sig, Larry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/5/2013 10:07 PM, Richard wrote:
[...]

Just the whole panel, about 2x3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/6/2013 7:24 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I thought the problem was that the LEDs were coming loose when they
warmed up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks, Stan. I hadn't thought of those sources and will check with
'em.

Make your own?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Made-Bezel-Window-for-LCD-LED-Displays/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Mouser, DigiKey, Allied Electronics, All Electronics - all NOGO.
Jameco website under construction, site down. (really stupid, huh?)
PRDproducts.com has potential. Email sent.

Thanks again, guys.

Digikey carries PRDproducts and 3M
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?pv47=8855&FV=fff40008%2Cfff80027&mnonly= 0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm =0&fid=0&pageSize=25
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/6/2013 8:52 PM, Richard wrote:
[...]

Well, it's only for Larry...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:42:49 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks, Stan. I hadn't thought of those sources and will check with

'em.

Make your own?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Made-Bezel-Window-for-LCD-LED-Displays/

That was really nicely done - both the bezel and the instructable. I have done similar things by laser printing (white on black lettering) and sandwiching it between a sheet of plexi or lexan and the black-painted enclosure.

Source for 30 mm plastic T-moulding. [email protected] Woodworking 6 April 11th 09 06:05 PM
Source for plastic channel extrusion? NoSpam UK diy 3 March 13th 09 09:23 PM
Oval bezels Jscott67 Metalworking 2 February 24th 06 07:27 PM
tiny plastic tubing source habbi Metalworking 23 June 4th 05 09:26 AM
UK source of 8-10mm O/d plastic pipe? MarkMc UK diy 12 March 13th 05 10:53 AM