Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Proper way to lift new nitrogen storage tank

My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-20, Paul Drahn wrote:
My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Add a tee to the nipple and put a rod trough the tee, then chain or strap

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn wrote:
My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul

Without seeing it, I would question if lifting with the top fitting
might stress the tank in the wrong way.

I probably would lift using the pallet it self. The pallet then will be
holding the tank as it is lifted avoiding sideways load on the legs or
top fitting. I would put in the nipple and a tee with a chain thru it in
the fitting to use for a safety.

--
Stephen B.

Not Steve B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 19:42:00 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul

That should do it nicely.

The company should have shipped a lifting nib with the tank. The
*******s.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-20, Paul wrote:
My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Add a tee to the nipple and put a rod trough the tee, then chain or strap

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul

I like that idea. Don't have to mess with drilling a pipe cap, etc. I
think I have most of the parts here at home.

Thanks, I.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kku7hf$nes
:

I like that idea. Don't have to mess with drilling a pipe cap, etc. I
think I have most of the parts here at home.

Thanks, I.

Paul

I don't; at least not if that 'tank' is a Dewar flask instead of a
pressure tank. Most of the "nitrogen generators" I've had association
with have been LN2 systems.

Dewars have thin walls and insulation/vacuum between. They cannot take
significant loads or pressures anywhere on their surfaces.

Better to build a 'cradle' around the tank, and raise it into position
with that. (if it's a Dewar)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/19/2013 7:42 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul

Don't suppose you've considered calling the vendor and asking them??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kku7hf$nes
:

I like that idea. Don't have to mess with drilling a pipe cap, etc. I
think I have most of the parts here at home.

Thanks, I.

Paul

I don't; at least not if that 'tank' is a Dewar flask instead of a
pressure tank. Most of the "nitrogen generators" I've had association
with have been LN2 systems.

Dewars have thin walls and insulation/vacuum between. They cannot take
significant loads or pressures anywhere on their surfaces.

Better to build a 'cradle' around the tank, and raise it into position
with that. (if it's a Dewar)

Lloyd

This if it is in fact an LN2 Dewar. The Airgas branch near me recently
got a *huge* O2 Dewar installed at their facility, something a good 30'
tall. The riggers screwed up and damaged the outer shell when setting it
in place with a crane and it took days and cost $$$ to get it repaired
and re-vacuumed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 09:16:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kku7hf$nes
:

I like that idea. Don't have to mess with drilling a pipe cap, etc. I
think I have most of the parts here at home.

Thanks, I.

Paul

I don't; at least not if that 'tank' is a Dewar flask instead of a
pressure tank. Most of the "nitrogen generators" I've had association
with have been LN2 systems.

Dewars have thin walls and insulation/vacuum between. They cannot take
significant loads or pressures anywhere on their surfaces.

Better to build a 'cradle' around the tank, and raise it into position
with that. (if it's a Dewar)

Lloyd

Good advice. I'd add that if he does decide to put a side load on a
nipple, it should at least be sch80 or reinforced with a welded
sleeve. It's easier than most people think to snap a scd40 nipple at
the thread root by jerking it sideways. It happens every day when
farmers get careless useing a backhoe to pull water well pipe strings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

This is a standard air receiver painted green, right? You don't want
to risk bending that fitting at the top - the steel should be thick
enough, but you never know... And don't want to find out.

At least for the getting it standing upright part, I'd take a Nylon
webbing lifting sling and put it choker around the top of the tank
(loop it through it's own eye) - then put a ratchet strap around it so
it can't slide up.

An even better one - Is there another pair of holes on what will be
the side when you stand it up? Often they use the same 1-1/2" NPT
bungs for inspection ports, with a reducing bushing to 3/4" for the
air in and out... Pull the second plug and thread a nylon sling or
some heavy rope through the two holes, top and upper side.

Put the free end of the sling over the fork, and stand it up. Have
several bodies around to keep it from swinging into the forklift boom
or anything that would chip the paint.

Once it's vertical, then it should be safe to lift from those threads.

Keep it as low as possible so it doesn't have far to fall.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/20/2013 7:27 AM, Pete C. wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Paul fired this volley in news:kku7hf$nes
:

[...]

Nope, not a Dewar tank. Heavy steel, good for storing any gas. No
insulation. The actual air compressor and nitrogen filters are due in
mid-May.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kkucoc$shc
:

Nope, not a Dewar tank. Heavy steel, good for storing any gas. No
insulation. The actual air compressor and nitrogen filters are due in
mid-May.

Then Haul Away!
(do beef up the threaded part, or use a forged stainless nipple, so it
doesn't break off at the thread)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kkucoc$shc
:

Nope, not a Dewar tank. Heavy steel, good for storing any gas. No
insulation. The actual air compressor and nitrogen filters are due in
mid-May.

Then Haul Away!
(do beef up the threaded part, or use a forged stainless nipple, so it
doesn't break off at the thread)

A 1.5 inch fitting will not break lifting a 600 lbs tank
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kkucoc$shc
:

Nope, not a Dewar tank. Heavy steel, good for storing any gas. No
insulation. The actual air compressor and nitrogen filters are due in
mid-May.

Then Haul Away!
(do beef up the threaded part, or use a forged stainless nipple, so it
doesn't break off at the thread)

A 1.5 inch fitting will not break lifting a 600 lbs tank

It will be side loaded, putting maximum stress on the thread roots which
are pretty thin on sch40 pipe. Sch80 will be much better, or thread up a
solid bar in the lathe, drill and tap a center hole and install a load
rated swivel eye.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kkucoc$shc
:

Nope, not a Dewar tank. Heavy steel, good for storing any gas. No
insulation. The actual air compressor and nitrogen filters are due in
mid-May.

Then Haul Away!
(do beef up the threaded part, or use a forged stainless nipple, so it
doesn't break off at the thread)

A 1.5 inch fitting will not break lifting a 600 lbs tank

If it's chinese or indian it might break just tightening it into the tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in
:

If it's chinese or indian it might break just tightening it into the
tank.

No, we've already been told it won't break; so it just won't.
If it does break, it didn't really do that; because it won't.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:33:06 -0500, Ignoramus2288

On 2013-04-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kkucoc$shc
:

Nope, not a Dewar tank. Heavy steel, good for storing any gas. No
insulation. The actual air compressor and nitrogen filters are due in
mid-May.

Then Haul Away!
(do beef up the threaded part, or use a forged stainless nipple, so it
doesn't break off at the thread)

A 1.5 inch fitting will not break lifting a 600 lbs tank

The steady initial load will be more like 400. A 1.5" scd40 nipple
absolutely could break with a jerky side load. Some of the cheap ones
are threaded at an angle and the thread root is paper thin on one
side. Tanks tend to come with shallow flanges that sometimes allow the
nipple to bottom out and not allow full thread engagement. I'd rate
the chance of a break in this case at 1% for a careless operator. Then
again a sch80 fitting costs about a buck extra. Or tacking in a sleeve
takes about a minute. The OP asked for advice and the thread issue is
well worth mentioning. Your declaration on the other hand is ill
advised.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whoyakidding's ghost fired this volley in
:

Your declaration on the other hand is ill
advised.

You strung together so many quote lines, you might have been saying that
to anyone. I declared that it MIGHT break. I got caught up in the
attributions originally by saying it wasn't wise to lift a Dewar Flask
that way.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:13:30 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

whoyakidding's ghost fired this volley in
:

Your declaration on the other hand is ill
advised.

You strung together so many quote lines, you might have been saying that
to anyone. I declared that it MIGHT break. I got caught up in the
attributions originally by saying it wasn't wise to lift a Dewar Flask
that way.

LLoyd

I was replying to Ig. You are right and he isn't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 19, 10:42*pm, Paul Drahn wrote:

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

Paul

I would probably use a nylon sling and a steel rod with a couple of
washers tacked to it so the sling has to stay in the center of the
rod. Just poke the rod into the tank and then let it turn 90
degrees so it is across the pipe port. I am leary about any bending
moments of a pipe threaded in the hole.

Dan