Posted to alt.home.repair

Default convert old compressor tank to portable air storage tank?

subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

For little more than the cost of the fittings, fill valve, safety relief
valve, etc. to put it together, you can buy a complete new portable air
tank from Harbor Freight in your choice of 5-10 gal sizes and in either
steel or aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

For little more than the cost of the fittings, fill valve, safety relief
valve, etc. to put it together, you can buy a complete new portable air
tank from Harbor Freight in your choice of 5-10 gal sizes and in either
steel or aluminum.

shipping is a b*tch though. The fill valve is something like $5, and I
probably have most of the fittings laying around, I just need to find a
source for the relief valve. Plus, it offends me to throw out a bit of
useful kit and then turn around and buy the exact same thing.

I was going to buy one last year when I ended up with a bunch of Sears
gift cards after Xmas (it's like people think I'm a tool junkie or
something I guess) but my local Sears didn't have any. Nearest HF store
is something like 50 miles away, not worth it for an air tank.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

The auto parts stores used to sell conversions, to make a
freon tank into air storage. Not sure anyone still has them.

I have a 3 gal compressor from HF, and someday will find a
way to put my 5 gal portable tank into the system. So the
compressor doesn't run as often.

Like Pete says, you can get a portable tank for what the
parts would cost.

Thirty bucks, watch a while, and it will go on sale.

Forty bucks, and 11 gal size.

Can you cut the top off, drill a couple holes, and make a
rolling flower planter?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

I'd not sweat it -- the old Air Force surplus air bubble doesn't have
either and it's been (and continues to be) fine for 50 years and counting...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I do know what you mean, about throwing out an otherwise
useful device. Please look for an old auto parts store, and
ask the oldest counter clerk for a freon tank conversion
kit, to convert it to hold compressed air. Might find one
dusty old package in the back. That should have a manifold,
air hose, air chuck, schraeder valve, and pressure relief
valve.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
The fill valve is something like $5, and I
probably have most of the fittings laying around, I just
need to find a
source for the relief valve. Plus, it offends me to throw
out a bit of
useful kit and then turn around and buy the exact same
thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just have to make sure the source compressor doesn't have
too much pressure. An old compressor tank should hold 100
PSI easy enough. If there is no visible obvious rust, that
is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message

I'd not sweat it -- the old Air Force surplus air bubble
doesn't have
either and it's been (and continues to be) fine for 50 years
and counting...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:27:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The auto parts stores used to sell conversions, to make a
freon tank into air storage. Not sure anyone still has them.

I have a 3 gal compressor from HF, and someday will find a
way to put my 5 gal portable tank into the system. So the
compressor doesn't run as often.

Like Pete says, you can get a portable tank for what the
parts would cost.

Thirty bucks, watch a while, and it will go on sale.

Forty bucks, and 11 gal size.

Can you cut the top off, drill a couple holes, and make a
rolling flower planter?

Maybe, but if he included the compressed air element, he could have a
flower launcher.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:27:28 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

For little more than the cost of the fittings, fill valve, safety relief
valve, etc. to put it together, you can buy a complete new portable air
tank from Harbor Freight in your choice of 5-10 gal sizes and in either
steel or aluminum.

But his is quality and HF may be lo-quality. (Note that I spelled it
lo and not low, so I can't be accused of libeling them.)

shipping is a b*tch though. The fill valve is something like $5, and I
probably have most of the fittings laying around, I just need to find a
source for the relief valve. Plus, it offends me to throw out a bit of
useful kit and then turn around and buy the exact same thing.

Me too. Good for you.

As to the drain, look at some of the compressors with tanks in the
store. Mine by the famous hyphenated brand I forget the name of is so
small they call it an air pump or something, but it has a tank bigger
than a football and I think it indeed uses a radiator petcock. But I
haven't looked at it for a couple years.

I was going to buy one last year when I ended up with a bunch of Sears
gift cards after Xmas (it's like people think I'm a tool junkie or
something I guess) but my local Sears didn't have any. Nearest HF store
is something like 50 miles away, not worth it for an air tank.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:40:00 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

thanks

nate

Tanks rust with time and should be replaced after several years. A
portable tank does not cost that much, maybe $25.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

thanks

nate

Tanks rust with time and should be replaced after several years. A
portable tank does not cost that much, maybe $25.

What happens if a compressed air tank leaks? Do you get air all over
the place?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the
compressor and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed
air tank. McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for
cheap, but don't I need some kind of pop off valve to make this
legit? Also will a standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain
valve or do I need something more substantial? I guess my lack of
finding the pop off valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using
the right keywords?) is keeping me from hacking this together.

I don't think you need a drain - just turn the tank upside down and open the
valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? *Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? *I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

thanks

nate

Tanks rust with time and should be replaced after several years. *A
portable tank does not cost that much, maybe $25.

What happens if a compressed air tank leaks? Do you get air all over
the place?

I agree with Phisherman. Compressors rust from the inside out, so
you're not going to be able to tell anything about how much metal is
left in an old compressor tank. Typically they develop pin hole
leaks in the bottom. But could one fail catastrophically and injure
someone? I've never heard of it happening, but why take the chance?

Plus if it did injure someone, it would be bad enough being sued
without having the plaintiff pointing to a homebuilt piece of crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I really like that idea. That's why he needs a pop off
valve. To activate the flower launch.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

Can you cut the top off, drill a couple holes, and make a
rolling flower planter?

Maybe, but if he included the compressed air element, he
could have a
flower launcher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's almost impossible to get out of a cement floor. Put a
sheet of plastic under the tank. And some news papers to
soak up any leaks before they get to the cement.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
Tanks rust with time and should be replaced after several
years. A
portable tank does not cost that much, maybe $25.

What happens if a compressed air tank leaks? Do you get air
all over
the place?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:40:00 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

thanks

nate

http://www.tools-plus.com/coilhose-s... m=COISV165-DL

NAPA used to sell a kit with a pop valve, to convert steel refrigerant
tanks to air tanks. When they rust through it starts with a small hole and
the air leaks off. The damn thing is not going to explode. The hole just
lets the air escape. Kept it in the trunk till it leaked.Didn't find
another tank. SO:

I have a large old aluminium LP fuel tank off of a lift truck that I have
converted. Used it for a long time as a pressurized water tank to wash my
hands on the road. Now use it just as an auxiliary air tank on a smaller
compressor with a small tank to help the volume for air tool use.

I kept the NAPA kit and added it to the LP tank using bushings. With the
quick disconnects, I can charge(fill) it with air and through it in the
trunk to help a friend with a spare that is never checked and low when
needed. Or just to run an impact to loosen the lugs on the road.

Go to "horrible freight" online catalog and get quick disconnects and a
short air hose, air chuck, and inflation guage, be done with it.They will
send it in the mail for less than the gas to drive to one if you are
located far from a store.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...pler&Submit=Go
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...uage&Submit=Go

Hope this helps.