Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default Proper way to lift new nitrogen storage tank

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 19:42:00 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are
beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in,
laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft. long and weighs
680 lbs.

At some time we will need to set it upright and move to it's final
location. There are no places to attach a chain to the tank.

There is a 1 1/2 inch pipe port right at the top and I am thinking I
will screw in a short nipple and add a pipe cap with a chain bolted to
the cap. Then use the fork lift to pick up the tank using the chain
fastened to one of the forks.

Any thoughts of other ways to set it up and move it?

This is a standard air receiver painted green, right? You don't want
to risk bending that fitting at the top - the steel should be thick
enough, but you never know... And don't want to find out.

At least for the getting it standing upright part, I'd take a Nylon
webbing lifting sling and put it choker around the top of the tank
(loop it through it's own eye) - then put a ratchet strap around it so
it can't slide up.

An even better one - Is there another pair of holes on what will be
the side when you stand it up? Often they use the same 1-1/2" NPT
bungs for inspection ports, with a reducing bushing to 3/4" for the
air in and out... Pull the second plug and thread a nylon sling or
some heavy rope through the two holes, top and upper side.

Put the free end of the sling over the fork, and stand it up. Have
several bodies around to keep it from swinging into the forklift boom
or anything that would chip the paint.

Once it's vertical, then it should be safe to lift from those threads.

Keep it as low as possible so it doesn't have far to fall.

-- Bruce --