Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whoyakidding's ghost whoyakidding's ghost is offline

Default Proper way to lift new nitrogen storage tank

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 09:16:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:kku7hf$nes
:

I like that idea. Don't have to mess with drilling a pipe cap, etc. I
think I have most of the parts here at home.

Thanks, I.

Paul

I don't; at least not if that 'tank' is a Dewar flask instead of a
pressure tank. Most of the "nitrogen generators" I've had association
with have been LN2 systems.

Dewars have thin walls and insulation/vacuum between. They cannot take
significant loads or pressures anywhere on their surfaces.

Better to build a 'cradle' around the tank, and raise it into position
with that. (if it's a Dewar)

Lloyd

Good advice. I'd add that if he does decide to put a side load on a
nipple, it should at least be sch80 or reinforced with a welded
sleeve. It's easier than most people think to snap a scd40 nipple at
the thread root by jerking it sideways. It happens every day when
farmers get careless useing a backhoe to pull water well pipe strings.