Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Preppers

Due to the recent media attention, I was thinking about
"preppers". These "preppers", apparently, are a little different from
"survivalists", in that they are mostly hoarding ammunition, food and
comfort items and are not as interested in wilderness, orienteering
etc. I watched a TV program about preppers and luxury bomb shelters
and I thought, this is nonsense. A female version of survivalism.

I was thinking about it and realized that this approach has a fatal
flaw, which is that preppers assume that when the world as we know
ends, they will still be able to live in and use their homes.

The history shows that much of the time, disasters and wars dispossess
people of their homes.

Disaster strikes, bye bye food hoard. Usually bye bye guns also.

Then what would a "prepper" do? Not much. They are ****ed just like
everyone else.

I am not really against hoarding, and I have always been a bit of a
hoarder, but I wanted to show that hoarding has its limitations. There
is some important preparedness that goes beyond hoarding and spending
big $$$ on bulky perishables.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10903" wrote in message
[...]

Remember Leningrad:

People froze to death or died from starvation or disease while being
bombarded continually by German artillery. Some ate rats, cats, dogs,
sawdust, wallpaper paste-anything they could try to digest. Roving gangs
preyed on lone pedestrians as people resorted to cannibalism. For 900 days,
the Germans laid siege to Leningrad. By the time the Red Army finally broke
through in January 1944, more than 640,000 residents had died.

Preppers seem to live in a fantasy world of thier own. They will be food for
people
with bigger guns.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Most preppers don't get laid properly, and synthesize a cause.

Having said that, Moi is starting to prep.... LOL
It's really all about hedging a bet, and different people hedge differently.

The people who are REALLY ****ed -- and cant' hedge at all -- are those
living in urban centers (NYC, LA, cheecago) -- and, unfort'ly, those living
NEXT to urban centers.
If you live next to an urban center, and have plenty of food/water, make
sure your ammo to food ratio is about 1 bullet per oz of food/water

And, ackshooly, with enough firepower, you no need no prepping, as others
have, essentially, prepped for you....
Dats when old missile silos come in handy.... LOL.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-19, Howard Beal wrote:

[...]

Yes. But this is more of an exception, than the rule.

Preppers seem to live in a fantasy world of thier own. They will be
food for people with bigger guns.

True.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

If you believe the idiocy of which you speak, why don't you move far
away - for example, to the Magrheb, or to central Australia, where there
no people around. Your fantasy of killing everyone around you so you
can survive is just a deranged

--
For a $5 dollar donation today you get credit for $10 with HIM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:08:57 -0800, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

[...]

You tend to forget..we survivalists ARE the ones with the bigger guns.
We have been tending to business for decades.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 23:19:01 -0600, Ignoramus10903

On 2012-12-19, Howard Beal wrote:

[...]

You arnt thinking. Start.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-19, Howard Beal wrote:

[...]

You don't have a clue how to think. You'll *never* start.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think there is a huge difference between survivalists and preppers.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/18/2012 11:31 PM, Ignoramus10903 wrote:
[...]

Everyone should have a hobby.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 23:54:11 -0800, a friend
wrote:

And, ackshooly, with enough firepower, you no need no prepping, as others
have, essentially, prepped for you....
Dats when old missile silos come in handy.... LOL.

If you believe the idiocy of which you speak, why don't you move far
away - for example, to the Magrheb, or to central Australia, where there
no people around. Your fantasy of killing everyone around you so you
can survive is just a deranged

Seems to have worked rather admirably for several thousands of
years..the Mongols being one of many many examples.

Until they ran headlong into people badder then they were. Europeans.

You are not going to die well. I can tell. Some Blood or Crip is gonna
cap your ass and take your ****, rape your ol lady and stomp your cat
to death.

And I think...Ill cheer him on.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 00:41:53 -0800, "azotic"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Tell us what that Huge Difference is. In your opinion of course.

Best Regards
Tom.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 05:26:17 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Particularly if it can save your life.

My hobby is machining, putting on my seatbelt and keeping my CCW and
skills current along with being a survivalist.

So far so good!

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10903" wrote in
message news:-7-

The history shows that much of the time, disasters and wars
dispossess
people of their homes.

From what I've read of WW2 that was true in Russia but not in Germany,
except for the Eastern areas like Courland. The population apparently
didn't flee the Western armies. I've seen a monument in a small German
town commemorating those lost in its defense.

Some towns surrendered peacefully, some fought, which complicated our
advance. One effective answer was to lob in a few shells -before-
phoning the Burgomeister. There is a story that when we called a
resisting town to ask if they'd had enough, the person who answered
said that all of the houses had been damaged by tank shells except the
one belonging to the instigator of the resistance, and could we please
send in a few more to get his too.

All Soviet accounts I've read are clearly rather simplistic one-sided
propaganda. This American book favors the Russians somewhat but
doesn't inflate them into supermen/women:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...y_at_the_Gates
Read the reviews.

The sniper duel in the movie is only a minor event in the book.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And, ackshooly, with enough firepower, you no need no prepping, as
others
have, essentially, prepped for you....
Dats when old missile silos come in handy.... LOL.

If you believe the idiocy of which you speak, why don't you move far
away - for example, to the Magrheb, or to central Australia, where there
no people around. Your fantasy of killing everyone around you so you
can survive is just a deranged

You are an idiot.

Seems to have worked rather admirably for several thousands of
years..the Mongols being one of many many examples.

Until they ran headlong into people badder then they were. Europeans.

You are not going to die well. I can tell. Some Blood or Crip is gonna
cap your ass and take your ****, rape your ol lady and stomp your cat
to death.

And I think...Ill cheer him on.

Heh, I done perty good fer a libruhl, eh? Libruhl Prepper?? LOL
--
EA

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 03:28:14 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

My hobby is machining, putting on my seatbelt and keeping my CCW and
skills current along with being a survivalist.

Survivalist? Arf arf. Your tales of defense are merely more of your
endless piles of horse****. The only documented cases of your facing
death were your health emergencies which were self inflicted by your
self destructive lifestyle. By your own account the key to your entire
family's survival has been handouts from taxpayers. Should the ****
ever hit the fan those taxpayers will take a page from your book and
stop paying your way. Not that it will get to that because in the
event of TEOTWAWKI on the second day you'll probably take a shotgun
blast in the face from a 711 owner when he catches you trying to steal
a day's ration of cigarettes and Mountain Dew.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think that the government would like us all
to be helpless sheeple. The absurd portrayal
of a few prepper extremists helps demonstrate
this.

The preppers and survivalists I know, all are
aghast (but not surprised) at the frieks on the
Doomsday Prepper show.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"azotic" wrote in message

Preppers seem to live in a fantasy world of thier own. They will be food
for
people
with bigger guns.

Best Regards
Tom.

You tend to forget..we survivalists ARE the ones with the bigger guns.
We have been tending to business for decades.

Gunner

I think there is a huge difference between survivalists and preppers.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

In My NOT So Humble Opinion, I believe that a mobile survivalist who roams
around will have a lot to scrounge for several years, and would be at an
advantage of a stationary one. A stationary survivalist would have a target
on their back, and a mobile one could follow the seasons, the natural crops,
the natural fauna, and find plenty of remaining shelter and firewood. Would
you rather spend the Winter in Minnesota, or in Florida? Just like the
hunter-gathering nomads, I believe those groups and individuals would
survive at a better rate than groups of people who could be seiged. If the
**** hit the fan, I'd head south until I found a nice year round climate,
then look for a stable food supply, probably near a seacoast. After that, I
believe that bands would form, just as they did in ancient times, with the
best hunter/gatherers binding together and forming new societies and
affiliations. Still, even if it was a solitary existence, I would prefer it
to a social group, as society would insist on self-esteem clubs, equality of
the distribution of food (even to the fatties who didn't hunt), and the
Leave-No-Lazy Fat Asses Behind cliques, and other liberal ideas that have
been proven failures, but would come out even in a new world order.

I'll take my chances with myself and my little band, if you don't mind. Or
just raid and terrorize the liberal social groups for their stores. After
all, they will not be making any weapons, will they?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:42:24 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

And he would have a target on his back from hundreds of thousands of
other mobile ones.

The mobile ones would generally be either the desperate ones or the
dead...at which point they become less than mobile.

you rather spend the Winter in Minnesota, or in Florida? Just like the
hunter-gathering nomads, I believe those groups and individuals would
survive at a better rate than groups of people who could be seiged.

There is a reason nomads became largely extinct by the 10th century.
If the
**** hit the fan, I'd head south until I found a nice year round climate,
then look for a stable food supply, probably near a seacoast. After that, I
believe that bands would form, just as they did in ancient times, with the
best hunter/gatherers binding together and forming new societies and
affiliations. Still, even if it was a solitary existence, I would prefer it
to a social group, as society would insist on self-esteem clubs, equality of
the distribution of food (even to the fatties who didn't hunt), and the
Leave-No-Lazy Fat Asses Behind cliques, and other liberal ideas that have
been proven failures, but would come out even in a new world order.

So the 7 tribes of Native Americans were self esteem clubs?
fascinating!!

I'll take my chances with myself and my little band, if you don't mind. Or
just raid and terrorize the liberal social groups for their stores. After
all, they will not be making any weapons, will they?

There will be few liberal ones alive 6 months after things go tits up.
You wont find any food..but stores will still be filled with many good
usable items.

Steve

Perhaps you should review the links and cites I provided Iggy.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My hobby is machining, putting on my seatbelt and keeping my CCW and
skills current along with being a survivalist.

Survivalist? Arf arf. Your tales of defense are merely more of your
endless piles of horse****. The only documented cases of your facing
death were your health emergencies which were self inflicted by your
self destructive lifestyle. By your own account the key to your entire
family's survival has been handouts from taxpayers. Should the ****
ever hit the fan those taxpayers will take a page from your book and
stop paying your way. Not that it will get to that because in the
event of TEOTWAWKI on the second day you'll probably take a shotgun
blast in the face from a 711 owner when he catches you trying to steal
a day's ration of cigarettes and Mountain Dew.

LOL...I was thinking that too.

Gummer will easily be worm food by the end of the first week.

I pity the worms.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Others wrote:
Preppers seem to live in a fantasy world of thier own. They will be food
for
people
with bigger guns.

You tend to forget..we survivalists ARE the ones with the bigger guns.
We have been tending to business for decades.

I think there is a huge difference between survivalists and preppers.

Similar goals, different methods, but both are of a stripe.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If your opinion is based on media reports,
that's not an accurate opinion.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I think there is a huge difference between survivalists and preppers.

Similar goals, different methods, but both are of a stripe.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
-- Freeman Dyson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 03:26:04 -0800 typed
wrote:

And, ackshooly, with enough firepower, you no need no prepping, as others
have, essentially, prepped for you....
Dats when old missile silos come in handy.... LOL.

If you believe the idiocy of which you speak, why don't you move far
away - for example, to the Magrheb, or to central Australia, where there
no people around. Your fantasy of killing everyone around you so you
can survive is just a deranged

Seems to have worked rather admirably for several thousands of
years..the Mongols being one of many many examples.

Until they ran headlong into people badder then they were. Europeans.

Actually, the Mongols cleaned European Clock. For all that they
were a light horse army, they also had a very sophisticated command
and control system in place, which would not be duplicated by European
Armies until several centuries later. But then the Khan back home
died. And the leaders of the Hordes had to go home for the election
of the new Khan. And Decadence set in.

You are not going to die well. I can tell. Some Blood or Crip is gonna
cap your ass and take your ****, rape your ol lady and stomp your cat
to death.

And I think...Ill cheer him on.

Stomping cats to death is just cause for termination with extreme
prejudice.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The first time, indeed they did. The second time...not so much. I
think they stopped at Rome or Venice or somewhere

We wack the cat stomper after he caps dumb****s ass.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wasn't that a different mob?
I thought the first mob had squinchi eyes and the second came from
Germany :-)

You are not going to die well. I can tell. Some Blood or Crip is gonna
cap your ass and take your ****, rape your ol lady and stomp your cat
to death.

And I think...Ill cheer him on.

Stomping cats to death is just cause for termination with extreme
prejudice.

We wack the cat stomper after he caps dumb****s ass.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

1. Lie

Cheers,
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 14:56:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The first time, indeed they did. The second time...not so much. I
think they stopped at Rome or Venice or somewhere

Wasn't that a different mob?
I thought the first mob had squinchi eyes and the second came from
Germany :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Europe

Timeline

1205–1209 conquest of Western China
1207 conquest of Siberia
1211–1234 conquest of Northern China
1213–1235 conquest of Jin dynasty
1218–1220 conquest of Central Asia and Eastern Persia
1220-1223, 1235–1330 invasions of Georgia and the Caucasus
1220–1224 of the Cumans
1223–1236 invasion of Volga Bulgaria
1231–1259 invasion of Korea
Mongol invasion of Europe
1237–1242 invasion of Rus
1238-1239 invasion of North Caucasus
1241 invasion of Poland (Battle of Legnica)
1241 invasion of Hungary
1241 invasion of Austria and Northeast Italy
1241–1242 invasion of Croatia
1242 invasion of Serbia and Bulgaria
1241–1244 invasion of Anatolia
1251–1259 invasion of Persia, Syria and Mesopotamia
1257, 1284, 1287 invasions of Vietnam
1258 invasion of Baghdad
1258–1259 invasion of Galych-Volhynia, Lithuania and Poland
1260 Battle of Ain Jalut
1260 Mongol raid against Syria
1264–1265 raid against Bulgaria and Thrace
1264–1308 invasion of Sakhalin Island
1271 raid against Syria
1274, 1281 invasions of Japan
1274 raid against Bulgaria
1275, 1277 raids against Lithuania
1277 battle of Abulustayn
1277 invasion of Myanmar
1279 invasions of Southern China
1281 invasion of Syria
1284–1285 invasion of Hungary
1285 raid against Bulgaria
1287 invasion of Myanmar
1287–1288 raids against Poland
1293 invasion of Java
1297–1308 Chagatai Khanate - Delhi Sultanate War
1299 invasion of Syria
1222–1327 Mongol invasions of India
1300 Mongol invasion of Myanmar
1300 Mongol invasion of Syria
1303 Invasion of Syria
1307 Mongol invasion of Gilan
1312 Mongol invasion of Syria
1324, 1337 Mongol raids against Thrace

Pick 3

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10903 wrote:

Then what would a "prepper" do? Not much. They are ****ed just like
everyone else.

I am not really against hoarding, and I have always been a bit of a
hoarder, but I wanted to show that hoarding has its limitations. There
is some important preparedness that goes beyond hoarding and spending
big $$$ on bulky perishables.

Prepping is a mindset that tomorrow may not be just like today and making some
preparations a head of time will greatly improve your comfort and ability to deal with
events at a future time.

Some of this is just little things like making sure you have enough food in the house so
that you can stay stuck at your home for a week. Make sure you rotate it though your diet
during the typical 2 year shelf life so you don't waste any.

Having a generator, transfer switch, and some gasoline so you can run the well pump, keep
the food in the fridge from rotting, charge cell phones, and maintain communications isn't
something that is way out there. For many it is dealing with periodic storms that one
never knows when it will happen but on average one knows it will happen. A prolonged
outage you are going to have to practice power managment as in the generator only runs for
short period of times.

Keeping your meds topped up if you are on life supporting meds. I keep 90 days minimum on
hand.

Making sure you have some water in your car, a shovel, some sand, a flashlight, just stuff
so you can take care of your self and get yourself out of a jam on your own.

Keeping the camping gear in good order, keeping spare mantels, coleman fuel, and the rest
of the outdoor gear ready for use.

Making sure the chain saw is ready for use. Spare fuel, chain, oil, gas.

I could go on.

March of this year we had a statewide snow storm that really made a mess of things. I
lost power for over a day, others near me up to 6 days. My portable radio had batteries
with a 2004 expiration date. That didn't last long. Pretty quiet in winter w/o power.

So I'm a bit of a preper now.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've had my share of things gone wrong. And, my share of "right thing at the
right moment" which was a lot more comfortable. I do what I can to be
ready. I'm much closer to the government version of prepper, with some food
at home. Compared to the Doomsday Preppers who are preparing to fight off
enemy hordes.

"Next thing you know, they infiltrate, and sneak into your perimiter." Frank
Burns, talking about the sniper.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Wes" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:28:14 AM UTC-6, Gunner wrote:
[...]

There was some speculation on the romance of wandering about scavenging after a SHTF scenario.

Watch this, and some more about the FTRA to better understand what that scavenging lifestyle might be like.
And remember, this is all about scavenging in a (relatively)healthy society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4yzlsRPrU
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus10903 wrote:

[...]

All great points Wes. To be prepared not exactly for the end of the
world, but for regular disruptions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:32:59 -0500, Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus10903 wrote:

[...]

We had power go off early in November during the first cold snap.
Tanker truck took out a major power feed to town. I was in LA working
and the house was getting cold. So the wife went out, followed the
directions, plugged and unplugged the proper cables which Id painted
and numbered..fired up the generator and they were comfortably warm
for the 27 hours it took to restore power to the area. In fact..we had
about 15 people in the house for much of that time as a bunch of our
friends/neighbors were cold as well. Shrug

Folks without the ability to get their own gennies or wives with kids
whose husbands were on the road. Retired people, elderly, young
adults...the usual.

Shrug..good people stick together during hard times.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Those guys look rather nasty. If they are out
there scavenging, then peaceful people like
me don't have a chance.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Cross-Slide" wrote in message

There was some speculation on the romance
of wandering about scavenging after a SHTF
scenario.

Watch this, and some more about the FTRA
to better understand what that scavenging life
style might be like. And remember, this is all
about scavenging in a (relatively)healthy society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4yzlsRPrU

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus10903 wrote:

Then what would a "prepper" do? Not much. They are ****ed just like
everyone else.

I am not really against hoarding, and I have always been a bit of a
hoarder, but I wanted to show that hoarding has its limitations. There
is some important preparedness that goes beyond hoarding and spending
big $$$ on bulky perishables.

C'mon, Ig. Hoarding is a different ballgame. Prepping is simply
doubling your pantry with things you normally eat/use, etc.

[...]

Ditto.

Making sure you have some water in your car, a shovel, some sand, a flashlight, just stuff
so you can take care of your self and get yourself out of a jam on your own.

That reminds me: I need to get some sandbags and leave them in the
truck.

Keeping the camping gear in good order, keeping spare mantels, coleman fuel, and the rest
of the outdoor gear ready for use.

Making sure the chain saw is ready for use. Spare fuel, chain, oil, gas.

I could go on.

Candy, munchies, reading material, movie for the portable DVD player,
propane for the BBQ. I should probably get a backup 20# tank. I
spend the $22 for a new tank and then it only costs $7-8 to refill it
each time. That's 1/2 the price of replacement tanks like Blue Rhino.

March of this year we had a statewide snow storm that really made a mess of things. I
lost power for over a day, others near me up to 6 days. My portable radio had batteries
with a 2004 expiration date. That didn't last long. Pretty quiet in winter w/o power.

So I'm a bit of a preper now.

We all should be. Especially the city folks. Once cities run out of
fuel/food/electricity, the zombies come out. (I hate this new zombie
everthing trend, but that's a good word for what people turn into once
their regular routine is totally hosed. The incident at Donner Pass
wasn't a lone happening in humanity's past. Not by a long shot.)

I have 6-8 weeks of food stored now. Tent and sleeping bags are
ready, solar system ready to be installed, 8 extra gallons of gas,
extra batteries/flashlights/books, toilet water stored up (but I just
read that milk jugs start going bad after 6 months, so I'll be
replacing them soon.

I'm ammoed up so I won't have a problem persuading them otherwise if
someone wants to try to take my food/water/warmth/house/guns/tools.

Some folks in town have been without electricity for 5-6 days last
week. My power has only been off for a max of 10 hours once, luckily,
but my across-the-street-neighbors were without for a week last year.

I'm installing the 12v LED emergency lights http://tinyurl.com/c4bu7y2
in the ceilings this coming week. 9w bulbs light up these fixtures
right nicely. They're spots but light diffuses through the globe very
well. I added pull chain switches, and they'll be wired into the
solar system next week, if I can get that Birch down in the interim...
This is a fun project, other than running the wiring in the attic.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My hobby is machining, putting on my seatbelt and keeping my CCW and
skills current along with being a survivalist.

Survivalist? Arf arf.

I wonder why survivalists make you bark like a dog? Do you want to hump
their legs? Just ask nice---sit-up and beg!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Then what would a "prepper" do?

This is how the government knows you should prepa
http://www.ready.gov/are-you-ready-guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My hobby is machining, putting on my seatbelt and keeping my CCW
and
skills current along with being a survivalist.

Survivalist? Arf arf.

I wonder why survivalists make you bark like a dog? Do you want to
hump their legs? Just ask nice---sit-up and beg!

Weak-minded liberals need excuses to convince themselves that they are
somehow superior to people with demonstrably better life skills.
Reality-TV producers understand and exploit this. And I read writers'
and producers' blogs.
http://www.janeespenson.com/
For example only, the original source of this insight was a Nashville
songwriter disgusted by Hollywood, which narrow it down to most of
them.

Dancing With The Stars is a notable exception where the contestants
must advance by their own abilities. Significantly the camera often
shows them cheering each other's performances instead of conniving to
cut them down like on Survivor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 09:45:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Dancing With The Stars is a notable exception where the contestants
must advance by their own abilities.

Aha! I knew there must be a reason the cull is languishing. The draw
of "stars" such as the chunky unmarried mother Palin kid! Never
underestimate the market for "reality" I guess.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 08:21:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Then what would a "prepper" do?

This is how the government knows you should prepa
http://www.ready.gov/are-you-ready-guide

Right you are, Jim. 204 pages, minimal content, shiny brochure!

I like the LDSPrep-V8.pdf (available online) much better. I
downloaded it yesterday. They've grabbed the best info from avaialable
sources and put it into a content-packed 509 pages. I overlook the
religious stuff and take the important content instead. It starts
getting good about page 23.

Their Master Food Lists, Supply Guides, Food Purchasing Calendar,
Grain Cooking Charts, etc. are worth the price (free) alone. FIFO, so
you're going through your stock as you live and replacing as you go.

I think it's time to build that solar oven, too. Free fuel.

Pemmican is available at Amazon? Amazing.

My storage seed packets came yesterday. I can grow them next year and
collect their fertile seeds for later.

I consider Prepping to be just another form of insurance, but one
which serves me even better than regular insurance since I'll be safe,
well fed, well lit, and comfortable during any given disaster.

This sig is from the LDS manual.

--
You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore
the consequences of ignoring reality.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Then what would a "prepper" do?

This is how the government knows you should prepa
http://www.ready.gov/are-you-ready-guide

Right you are, Jim. 204 pages, minimal content, shiny brochure!

I like the LDSPrep-V8.pdf (available online) much better.

The pamphlet is the government's official position on individual
preparedness, not mine.
Extended hiking, canoe and motorcycle camping trips plus a Native
American neighbor taught me to need less rather than have more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Then what would a "prepper" do?

This is how the government knows you should prepa
http://www.ready.gov/are-you-ready-guide

Right you are, Jim. 204 pages, minimal content, shiny brochure!

I like the LDSPrep-V8.pdf (available online) much better.

The pamphlet is the government's official position on individual
preparedness, not mine.
Extended hiking, canoe and motorcycle camping trips plus a Native
American neighbor taught me to need less rather than have more.

I learned more about preparedness and survival from any one of Tom
Brown, Jr's books than I did reading that guvvy manual. _Grandfather_
was really good, about a very savvy Apache who took him under his
wing. It sounds as if you were lucky that way, too. I'm envious.