Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
travesty of the game [7.08(i)] travesty of the game [7.08(i)] is offline

Default Preppers

On 12/19/2012 12:09 AM, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 23:19:01 -0600, Ignoramus10903

On 2012-12-19, Howard Beal wrote:

"Ignoramus10903" wrote in message
Due to the recent media attention, I was thinking about
"preppers". These "preppers", apparently, are a little different from
"survivalists", in that they are mostly hoarding ammunition, food and
comfort items and are not as interested in wilderness, orienteering
etc. I watched a TV program about preppers and luxury bomb shelters
and I thought, this is nonsense. A female version of survivalism.

I was thinking about it and realized that this approach has a fatal
flaw, which is that preppers assume that when the world as we know
ends, they will still be able to live in and use their homes.

The history shows that much of the time, disasters and wars dispossess
people of their homes.

Disaster strikes, bye bye food hoard. Usually bye bye guns also.

Then what would a "prepper" do? Not much. They are ****ed just like
everyone else.

I am not really against hoarding, and I have always been a bit of a
hoarder, but I wanted to show that hoarding has its limitations. There
is some important preparedness that goes beyond hoarding and spending
big $$$ on bulky perishables.

Remember Leningrad:

People froze to death or died from starvation or disease while being
bombarded continually by German artillery. Some ate rats, cats, dogs,
sawdust, wallpaper paste-anything they could try to digest. Roving gangs
preyed on lone pedestrians as people resorted to cannibalism. For 900 days,
the Germans laid siege to Leningrad. By the time the Red Army finally broke
through in January 1944, more than 640,000 residents had died.

Yes. But this is more of an exception, than the rule.

Preppers seem to live in a fantasy world of thier own. They will be
food for people with bigger guns.

True.

You arnt thinking. Start.

You don't have a clue how to think. You'll *never* start.