Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Preppers

I've had my share of things gone wrong. And, my share of "right thing at the
right moment" which was a lot more comfortable. I do what I can to be
ready. I'm much closer to the government version of prepper, with some food
at home. Compared to the Doomsday Preppers who are preparing to fight off
enemy hordes.

"Next thing you know, they infiltrate, and sneak into your perimiter." Frank
Burns, talking about the sniper.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Wes" wrote in message

Prepping is a mindset that tomorrow may not be just like today and making
some
preparations a head of time will greatly improve your comfort and ability to
deal with
events at a future time.

Some of this is just little things like making sure you have enough food in
the house so
that you can stay stuck at your home for a week. Make sure you rotate it
though your diet
during the typical 2 year shelf life so you don't waste any.

Having a generator, transfer switch, and some gasoline so you can run the
well pump, keep
the food in the fridge from rotting, charge cell phones, and maintain
communications isn't
something that is way out there. For many it is dealing with periodic
storms that one
never knows when it will happen but on average one knows it will happen. A
prolonged
outage you are going to have to practice power managment as in the generator
only runs for
short period of times.

Keeping your meds topped up if you are on life supporting meds. I keep 90
days minimum on
hand.

Making sure you have some water in your car, a shovel, some sand, a
flashlight, just stuff
so you can take care of your self and get yourself out of a jam on your own.

Keeping the camping gear in good order, keeping spare mantels, coleman fuel,
and the rest
of the outdoor gear ready for use.

Making sure the chain saw is ready for use. Spare fuel, chain, oil, gas.

I could go on.

March of this year we had a statewide snow storm that really made a mess of
things. I
lost power for over a day, others near me up to 6 days. My portable radio
had batteries
with a 2004 expiration date. That didn't last long. Pretty quiet in winter
w/o power.

So I'm a bit of a preper now.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller