Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

[...]

Sounds like you need to make an appointment with a urologist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 01:52:53 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
F fired this volley in news:9DQQr.985$Oq4.702
@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com:

As long as you know how to sodder.
I learned to "sodder" long before I learned any other metalworking
skills.

I am just having a giggle at the propensity of Americans to leave out
the l, I don't understand why.

What really puzzles me is why so many Americans say & write " then "
when they mean " than " Of course, Americans speak their
dialect of English just as we Aussies use localised words which baffle
visitors.

Alan

There is no longer one version of "American English" With the influx of
other cultures and lack of real education in the schools, there are now
many different dialects and regional pockets of "English".

As for global relations and understanding other countries "English",
That is something that only people who actually study or visit those
locales actually understand.

I surprised a few visitors to upstate NY from around Bathurst NSW when
we started talking and neither of us had to "translate" to be
understood. That was probably helped by the fact that we were discussing
local pests for both areas (namely the large rats disguised as deer in
the US and kangaroos there) We both had the same solutions as well,
Differing only in caliber !!!

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"
when they mean " than " Of course, Americans speak their
dialect of English just as we Aussies use localised words which
baffle
visitors.
Alan

My generation had effect/affect, between/among, capital/capitol,
accept/except, there/their, desert/dessert, principal/principle,
weather/whether, then/than, advice/advise, decent/descent, ar_C_tic,
feb_R_uary, nu_CL_ear beaten into our little heads. I can guess only
that the low-performers who became teachers have tried to remove
everything that frustrated them.

I try to (not "and") be careful in print.

Are "Strine" and "Digger" different?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:jv6amj$r83
:

I can guess only
that the low-performers who became teachers have tried to remove
everything that frustrated them.

Amen to that! Precise language is the only means by which complex ideas
may be communicated, be it mathematical language or the spoken or written
tongue of the communicators.

I was required to take "out of core" subject classes in college to finish
my degree. Among them were two general education classes.

This was in the early 1970s, and even as early as then, aspiring young
teachers - mostly minorities - were being taught that "accomplishment is
not important, so long as a student 'tries'".

It came to be that "trying" fell along-side the way as well, and now,
only self-esteem is important.

I think we shall be the last generation of Americans who were taught our
own language.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16". Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

If it were me, I'd try to make a straight tube with no taper. And the above
is what I'd end up with. :-/

--
Paul Hovnanian
If you're ridin' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and