Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas fire to fit on an external wall with a bent flue or a long (approx 1metre) flue

Can anyone help.

We installed a flueless fire that we fitted when we built our house but
it really hasn't been what we wanted - it tends to smell (although it
has enough room volume) and also not really look right

What we would like to do is put a flued fire in. The only problem is
that it has to go across a corner so the flue would either need to come
out of the back of the fire with a 45 degree bend and go out of the
wall at right angles or alternatively have a straight flue that goes
through the wall at 45 degrees and presumably fixes to an external fan
at 45 degrees. Another problem would be that the straight flue would
need to be about 1 metre long.

Any help greatly appreciated as the wife is whinging!

Thanks

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:35:44 -0700, david wrote:

Can anyone help.

We installed a flueless fire that we fitted when we built our house but
it really hasn't been what we wanted - it tends to smell (although it
has enough room volume) and also not really look right

What we would like to do is put a flued fire in. The only problem is
that it has to go across a corner so the flue would either need to come
out of the back of the fire with a 45 degree bend and go out of the
wall at right angles or alternatively have a straight flue that goes
through the wall at 45 degrees and presumably fixes to an external fan
at 45 degrees. Another problem would be that the straight flue would
need to be about 1 metre long.

Any help greatly appreciated as the wife is whinging!

I suggest you start trawling over the specifications for gas fire fires.

A powered flue (needs electric supply of course) or just possibly a
balanced flue type would be what you need to look at. The majority of
fires won't be suitable. Almost certainly flue extensions will be
available for the powered flue type.

In addition to the usual suspects for gas fires (RW, Valor, Baxi,
Crosslee) you might take a look at Vulcana. Although they do commercial/
light industrial type units which may be unsuitable.

Gas fire flue extract... Magog UK diy 0 February 28th 04 01:46 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
New flue - support wall BigWallop UK diy 0 September 19th 03 03:04 AM
Cutting a hole in an external wall Matt G UK diy 3 September 15th 03 08:05 AM
Overflow extended length from external wall - Building Regulations Jeff Martin UK diy 1 August 13th 03 11:37 PM