DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   long, bent, tapered tube -- how to? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/344229-long-bent-tapered-tube-how.html)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 27th 12 11:54 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16". Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Jim Wilkins[_2_] July 28th 12 12:24 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

. 3.70...
I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that
tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16".
Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45
degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Someone who made and repaired brass musical instruments used to post
here.

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 12:35 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:juv7v4$cfi$1
@dont-email.me:

Someone who made and repaired brass musical instruments used to post
here.

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Yeah, that's probably my best bet. I've read all the stuff about making
brass instruments, and it requires tooling I just can't afford the time to
make for a two-off project.

LLoyd

Richard[_9_] July 28th 12 01:15 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Jim fired this volley in news:juv7v4$cfi$1
@dont-email.me:

Someone who made and repaired brass musical instruments used to post
here.

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Yeah, that's probably my best bet. I've read all the stuff about making
brass instruments, and it requires tooling I just can't afford the time to
make for a two-off project.

LLoyd

This ought to be interesting.

What are you making, Lloyd?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 01:27 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

Richard fired this volley in
m:

What are you making, Lloyd?

A delivery chute for small paper tubes exiting a collating feeder. It
could be more crudely constructed; say, a channel instead of a tube. But
the machine is Sooooo pretty, I want the chute to look - well - "polished".

Lloyd

Jim Wilkins[_2_] July 28th 12 01:31 AM

@dont-email.me:

Someone who made and repaired brass musical instruments used to
post
here.

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Yeah, that's probably my best bet. I've read all the stuff about
making
brass instruments, and it requires tooling I just can't afford the
time to
make for a two-off project.

LLoyd

The Chicago Symphony playing Mahler's 7th is on the other monitor. I'm
SOOO glad I wasn't the metalworker who was asked to make the first
French horn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_(instrument)

jsw

Richard[_9_] July 28th 12 01:35 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

fired this volley in
m:

What are you making, Lloyd?

A delivery chute for small paper tubes exiting a collating feeder. It
could be more crudely constructed; say, a channel instead of a tube. But
the machine is Sooooo pretty, I want the chute to look - well - "polished".

Lloyd

Sounds like a job for fiberglass guy!

Richard[_9_] July 28th 12 01:38 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

On 7/27/2012 7:31 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message
. 3.70...
"Jim fired this volley in
@dont-email.me:

Someone who made and repaired brass musical instruments used to
post
here.

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Yeah, that's probably my best bet. I've read all the stuff about
making
brass instruments, and it requires tooling I just can't afford the
time to
make for a two-off project.

LLoyd

The Chicago Symphony playing Mahler's 7th is on the other monitor. I'm
SOOO glad I wasn't the metalworker who was asked to make the first
French horn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_(instrument)

jsw

Here is a Youtube video for "How It's Mad" making a trumpet.

Mandrels for almost everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh7RrlazaRc

Paul Hovnanian P.E. July 28th 12 01:40 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16". Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Never tried this, but it sounds lie a job for metal spinning. Make a mandrel
with the proper taper on a live lathe tailpiece and feed it into the brass
tube on the chuck. Use spinning tools to work the tube down to the mandrel.

The bending could be done afterwards with a jig and sand filling the tube to
prevent kinking.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Sacred cows make the best hamburger. -- Mark Twain

Steve W.[_4_] July 28th 12 01:59 AM

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16". Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Does it have to be brass?

If you could use steel instead you could hydro-form it a bit easier,
just like the pipes on a 2 stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Z3AIFSd60

You might be able to do that with brass, but I'm not sure you could hide
the seam as well. How about making the seams a decorative item? Form the
two halves, then trim the flanges down, and silver solder a decorative
strip down them?

--
Steve W.

[email protected] July 28th 12 02:10 AM

On Jul 27, 8:40*pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Never tried this, but it sounds lie a job for metal spinning. Make a mandrel
with the proper taper on a live lathe tailpiece and feed it into the brass
tube on the chuck. Use spinning tools to work the tube down to the mandrel.

The bending could be done afterwards with a jig and sand filling the tube to
prevent kinking.

--
Paul Hovnanian * *
Sacred cows make the best hamburger. -- Mark Twain

Sounds like a plan. I would try bending using something like a padded
conduit hickey with the tube filled with sand or lead.

Dan

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 02:27 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

Richard fired this volley in
m:

Sounds like a job for fiberglass guy!

I make machines for explosives processing. It has to be conductive.

Yes... _I_ could lay up such a tube using carbon fabric, and it would look
good. However, even carbon-fiber layups aren't conductive (enough) for
this purpose.

Lloyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 02:31 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:juvdh6$72e$1
@dont-email.me:

If you could use steel instead you could hydro-form it a bit easier,
just like the pipes on a 2 stroke.

Well, if I were willing to make the mold to make it look pretty enough
(that pipe they made was UGLY), I would explosively form it, rather than
hydro-forming.

This is going to be a "no special tools" job -- Monday.

Lloyd

[email protected] July 28th 12 02:32 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

On Jul 27, 9:27*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I make machines for explosives processing. *It has to be conductive.

Lloyd

I misread your message at first as " I make machines for explosive
forming."

Dan

Michael A. Terrell July 28th 12 02:36 AM

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Richard fired this volley in
m:

What are you making, Lloyd?

A delivery chute for small paper tubes exiting a collating feeder. It
could be more crudely constructed; say, a channel instead of a tube. But
the machine is Sooooo pretty, I want the chute to look - well - "polished".

Your secret is out. You're into Steampunk! ;-)

Carl Ijames[_5_] July 28th 12 02:55 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

Does the taper need to be full length? If not, scrounge a male and female
of whatever Morse taper (or whatever taper you can find) covers your ID
range and use it as a swaging punch and die on the inlet end of your tube to
make a taper 3-6" long (annealing as needed), then like others said pack
with sand and bend.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
. 3.70...

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 03:03 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

Richard fired this volley in
m:

Sounds like a job for fiberglass guy!

You gave me an idea!

I can make the tube the correct taper out of a single sheet of metal,
using whatever "ugly" joining methods I want, so long as the joint is on
top (so the sliding surface is smooth).

After bending, coarse-sand the outside, then fill defects, sand smooth,
and glass over with carbon tape and a clear-coat.

Hell, I can do body work! This, I can do in a day, and it will still be
conductive. I have all the stuff.

Good idea!

LLoyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 03:05 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Carl Ijames" fired this volley in
:

Does the taper need to be full length? If not, scrounge a male and
female of whatever Morse taper

Actually, probably not, but it would look "sexier" if it was. I'll keep
that idea in reserve.

LLoyd

Stephen B.[_3_] July 28th 12 03:23 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote
Richard fired this volley in
m:

Sounds like a job for fiberglass guy!

You gave me an idea!

I can make the tube the correct taper out of a single sheet of
metal,
using whatever "ugly" joining methods I want, so long as the joint
is on
top (so the sliding surface is smooth).

After bending, coarse-sand the outside, then fill defects, sand
smooth,
and glass over with carbon tape and a clear-coat.

Hell, I can do body work! This, I can do in a day, and it will
still be
conductive. I have all the stuff.

You could also do some more sanding and polishing and then send it out
to be plated. lots of options in finish

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 03:26 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Stephen B." fired this volley in
:

You could also do some more sanding and polishing and then send it out
to be plated. lots of options in finish

Do you mean electro-less seeding of the carbon fiber finish, then plating,
or just plating the metal tube itself?

If I plated the metal, I'd have to do something with the seam (like they
show on that trombone vid) to flatten it.

Lloyd

Ecnerwal[_3_] July 28th 12 05:14 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

In article ,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16". Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Talk to a brass musical wind instrument maker/repairer - trumpet, tuba,
trombone french horn... I don't claim to be one, or to know their
methods in any detail, but they certainly do that and more difficult
things.

Richard[_9_] July 28th 12 06:44 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

fired this volley in
m:

Sounds like a job for fiberglass guy!

I make machines for explosives processing. It has to be conductive.

Yes... _I_ could lay up such a tube using carbon fabric, and it would look
good. However, even carbon-fiber layups aren't conductive (enough) for
this purpose.

Lloyd

OOOoooo-Kay....

Didn't read that part of the spec.
Did you watch the trumpet being made?
Sounds like just what the doctor ordered...

Richard[_9_] July 28th 12 06:47 AM

On 7/27/2012 7:59 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that
tapers uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16".
Lack of a visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees
of bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Does it have to be brass?

If you could use steel instead you could hydro-form it a bit easier,
just like the pipes on a 2 stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Z3AIFSd60

You might be able to do that with brass, but I'm not sure you could hide
the seam as well. How about making the seams a decorative item? Form the
two halves, then trim the flanges down, and silver solder a decorative
strip down them?

The trumpet guy used ice as the filler when he bent the tube.

Ice isn't really a special tool is it?

How big is this thing, Lloyd?

F Murtz July 28th 12 01:08 PM

@dont-email.me:

Someone who made and repaired brass musical instruments used to
post
here.

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Yeah, that's probably my best bet. I've read all the stuff about
making
brass instruments, and it requires tooling I just can't afford the
time to
make for a two-off project.

LLoyd

The Chicago Symphony playing Mahler's 7th is on the other monitor. I'm
SOOO glad I wasn't the metalworker who was asked to make the first
French horn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_(instrument)

jsw

Here is a Youtube video for "How It's Mad" making a trumpet.

Mandrels for almost everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh7RrlazaRc

As long as you know how to sodder.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 02:44 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

F Murtz fired this volley in news:9DQQr.985$Oq4.702
@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com:

As long as you know how to sodder.

I learned to "sodder" long before I learned any other metalworking
skills.

Hard brazing, silver soldering, and low-temperature brazing/soldering are
easy-peasy, and one of those cornerstone skills you must have to do any
serious metalworking.

If you don't know how, I'd suggest setting aside other projects for a
while, and undertaking to learn.

LLoyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 02:49 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

Richard fired this volley in
m:

The trumpet guy used ice as the filler when he bent the tube.

Ice isn't really a special tool is it?

How big is this thing, Lloyd?

Bending isn't the issue. I have a bender that can be pressed into use for
this purpose.

The issue is all the mandrels, seam rollers, and other smoothing devices
necessary to get the tube 'clean' before bending.

I saw somewhere that the material in the tube during bending is NOT just
water-ice, but a mixture that freezes hard (like would, say, ice cream),
but does not form a brittle crystal like water-ice does.

I'll have to look that up before Monday.

The tube is 1" i.d. at the mouth, and 5/8" i.d. at the small end, over
16", with three sub-45-degree non-planar bends.

It's an _almost_ trivial project, except that I want it to look sexy and
slick, because the rest of the machine is beginning to approach 'steam
punk pretty', and I don't want to add ugly parts to it.

Lloyd

Michael A. Terrell July 28th 12 02:59 PM

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

It's an _almost_ trivial project, except that I want it to look sexy and
slick, because the rest of the machine is beginning to approach 'steam
punk pretty', and I don't want to add ugly parts to it.

Post plenty of pictures after it's all polished up. :)

Jim Wilkins[_2_] July 28th 12 03:21 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

It's an _almost_ trivial project, except that I want it to look sexy
and
slick, because the rest of the machine is beginning to approach
'steam
punk pretty', and I don't want to add ugly parts to it.

Lloyd

Three or four parallel seams might not look as out of place as a
single one, and have less effect on bending.

jsw

F. George McDuffee July 28th 12 03:38 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 17:54:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16". Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Thanks,
Lloyd

==============
As a one off I would be thinking wax sculpture complete with
bends (or for precision use cad design and print out on a 3D
printer, possibly in sections), coating with something
conductive and then electroforming/plating desired material,
and then melting/evaporating the substrate out of the
complete form, i.e. "lost wax" This is a commercial
process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroforming
http://dalmar.net/electroforming.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHspsHir-k

for some sources to start (there are many others) see
http://www.servometer.com/products/p...FYVgTAod2DQAgw
http://www.spgveco.com/precision+met...product_id=146
http://garelectroforming.com/

Good luck and let the group know how you make out!

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 04:13 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

F. George McDuffee fired this volley in
:

As a one off I would be thinking wax sculpture complete with
bends (or for precision use cad design and print out on a 3D
printer, possibly in sections), coating with something
conductive and then electroforming/plating desired material,
and then melting/evaporating the substrate out of the
complete form, i.e. "lost wax" This is a commercial
process.

Yeah! I should be able to do that Monday! G

LLoyd
(yes, that would be great, if I had the time and the budget)

Richard[_9_] July 28th 12 05:18 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

F. George fired this volley in
:

As a one off I would be thinking wax sculpture complete with
bends (or for precision use cad design and print out on a 3D
printer, possibly in sections), coating with something
conductive and then electroforming/plating desired material,
and then melting/evaporating the substrate out of the
complete form, i.e. "lost wax" This is a commercial
process.

Yeah! I should be able to do that Monday!G

LLoyd
(yes, that would be great, if I had the time and the budget)

I had a thought about hte fiberglass/carbon idea, Lloyd.

Is there, or might there possibly be, a possible danger with static
electricity?

If so, metal would be better choice than any plastic, including a carbon
lay-up. The carbon fiber fabric would be encased in resin, which would
insulate the carbon fiber and possibly result in a static charge buildup
due to the paper sliding through the guide.

Metal work. Good stuff...

pyotr filipivich July 28th 12 05:32 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Fri, 27 Jul
2012 17:54:46 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I must make a very smooth, cosmetically impeccible brass tube that tapers
uniformly from 1" i.d. to 5/8" i.d. over a length of about 16". Lack of a
visible seam would be a plus.

It must be bent in three non-planar curves, none exceeding 45 degrees of
bend.

Anybody got any favorite methods?

Make a brass "funnel" ("first - catch a rabbit")

Fill it with sand and start wrapping it round a mandrel / post.
Ideally, one mid sized to the curve you want and the tube you have.

Polish up when done.

Alternately - send it out.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the

Steve Walker[_10_] July 28th 12 08:40 PM

On 7/28/2012 09:49, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

Damn. Thunderbird changed, and doesn't have reply to newsgroup. I'm
using followup to newsgroup.

Anyway, steam punk pretty?????

Sounds way cool.

Can we see some pictures when done?

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Paul K. Dickman July 28th 12 09:40 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

. 3.70...
F. George McDuffee fired this volley in
:

As a one off I would be thinking wax sculpture complete with
bends (or for precision use cad design and print out on a 3D
printer, possibly in sections), coating with something
conductive and then electroforming/plating desired material,
and then melting/evaporating the substrate out of the
complete form, i.e. "lost wax" This is a commercial
process.

Yeah! I should be able to do that Monday! G

LLoyd
(yes, that would be great, if I had the time and the budget)

Geeze, you guys spend more time spitballing than it takes to do it.

LLoyd you have two problems. Bending is the easy one. The taper is something
else.
Because of its long length and small diameter it will be a bitch. I can
write a thousand words on how to do it with a tapered strip of brass, a
rawhide hammer and a beakhorn stake, but it will still be a bitch.

Rethink the taper. Make a short taper and attach it to a 5/8 straight brass
tube.
Myself I would saw the rim off of a .50 cal cartridge, silver braze a piece
of 5/8 brass tube over the neck and turn a fitting to attach the big end to
the 1" .

To bend, fill the tube with lead (first paint the interior with milk of
magnesia and let it dry, it will keep the lead from sticking). Use wooden
dies for your bender. Carve matching grooves in them. And be prepared to
bend more than one before you get it right.

Paul K. Dickman

F. George McDuffee July 28th 12 10:13 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:13:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

F. George McDuffee fired this volley in
:

As a one off I would be thinking wax sculpture complete with
bends (or for precision use cad design and print out on a 3D
printer, possibly in sections), coating with something
conductive and then electroforming/plating desired material,
and then melting/evaporating the substrate out of the
complete form, i.e. "lost wax" This is a commercial
process.

Yeah! I should be able to do that Monday! G

LLoyd
(yes, that would be great, if I had the time and the budget)

==============

good
fast
cheap
pick any two :-)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 28th 12 11:04 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Paul K. Dickman" fired this volley in
:

Because of its long length and small diameter it will be a bitch. I can
write a thousand words on how to do it with a tapered strip of brass, a
rawhide hammer and a beakhorn stake, but it will still be a bitch.

I've made such tapered tubes before, Paul, and don't find them difficult
to do. There are a couple of tricks to make it lay around the mandrel or
stake well.

The issue was the finish -- I didn't want a standing seam, but also
needed the conductivity of the brass; and it's "slippery" nature.

The finish is now easily solved. Make the tube of brass, with just a lap
seam on what will end up being the top. After bending, lay up a cover
with carbon fabric tape and epoxy. It'll look nice, and be conductive
end-to-end.

Lloyd

Richard[_9_] July 29th 12 02:00 AM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

"Paul K. fired this volley in
:

Because of its long length and small diameter it will be a bitch. I can
write a thousand words on how to do it with a tapered strip of brass, a
rawhide hammer and a beakhorn stake, but it will still be a bitch.

I've made such tapered tubes before, Paul, and don't find them difficult
to do. There are a couple of tricks to make it lay around the mandrel or
stake well.

The issue was the finish -- I didn't want a standing seam, but also
needed the conductivity of the brass; and it's "slippery" nature.

The finish is now easily solved. Make the tube of brass, with just a lap
seam on what will end up being the top. After bending, lay up a cover
with carbon fabric tape and epoxy. It'll look nice, and be conductive
end-to-end.

Lloyd

Sounds like a pln, Lloyd.

Do you have any pictures of it finished yet???
:)

F Murtz July 29th 12 04:52 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
F fired this volley in news:9DQQr.985$Oq4.702
@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com:

As long as you know how to sodder.

I learned to "sodder" long before I learned any other metalworking
skills.

Hard brazing, silver soldering, and low-temperature brazing/soldering are
easy-peasy, and one of those cornerstone skills you must have to do any
serious metalworking.

If you don't know how, I'd suggest setting aside other projects for a
while, and undertaking to learn.

LLoyd

I am just having a giggle at the propensity of Americans to leave out
the l, I don't understand why.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 29th 12 08:18 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

F Murtz fired this volley in news:y%cRr.1114$qv3.897
@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

I don't understand why.

It's called "functional illiteracy". It's a product of our "professional
teachers" and our "race to the bottom" educational system.

LLoyd

[email protected] July 30th 12 03:41 PM

long, bent, tapered tube -- how to?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 01:52:53 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
F fired this volley in news:9DQQr.985$Oq4.702
@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com:

As long as you know how to sodder.

I learned to "sodder" long before I learned any other metalworking
skills.

I am just having a giggle at the propensity of Americans to leave out
the l, I don't understand why.

What really puzzles me is why so many Americans say & write " then "
when they mean " than " Of course, Americans speak their
dialect of English just as we Aussies use localised words which baffle
visitors.

Alan