Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default UPS prohibited items

I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Helpless Steve B:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

On their page

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/index.jsx

it's hard not to find the link to "Safely Packing Lithium Batteries Is
Critical"

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/about/news/service_updates/20091007_batteries.html

Lithium is not NiMH, but it is a battery type, and I'm not you, so I
read it. It says

"If you ship packages containing batteries, whether by ground or air, it
is your responsibility to make sure they are packaged correctly and
ensure they comply with all applicable regulations."

Hmmm... UPS says if you ship packages with batteries, it is your
responsibility to package them correctly. From that, I would guess that
shipping batteries is not prohibited by UPS.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sent data:" wrote in message
Helpless Steve B:
[...]

That is what I read, and you can see my confusion

Yes, you can.

No, you can't.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

I routinely receive non-LiH batteries from rebuilders and in/with tools
from Amazon via USPS so I can't think they're banned.

They do require packaging and may be required to be marked "ground only"
altho I'm not positive about that.

It's Li batteries that have the outright ban for anything over like 1
g./cell, etc., ...

It is pretty clear one of the reasons USPS is going broke though--they
have so many restrictions on what can be shipped obviously folks go the
easier route to "get 'er done"....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 2/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

I routinely receive non-LiH batteries from rebuilders and in/with tools
from Amazon via USPS so I can't think they're banned.

They do require packaging and may be required to be marked "ground only"
altho I'm not positive about that.

It's Li batteries that have the outright ban for anything over like 1
g./cell, etc., ...

It is pretty clear one of the reasons USPS is going broke though--they
have so many restrictions on what can be shipped obviously folks go the
easier route to "get 'er done"....

"Neither workers nor our unions caused this crisis."

"In 2006, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act. This law requires the Postal Service to do something that no other business or government agency has to do-pre-fund its FUTURE retiree health care benefits. This is a 75 year liability that has to be paid in 10 years. The Postal Service makes a payment of approximately $5.5 billion on September 30 at the end of every fiscal year to meet this obligation. The Post Office has been paying these benefits the past four years into a trust fund for employees who have not even been born yet. This is the burden that is creating the "financial crisis" for the Post Office. The recession that has gripped America the past few years has undoubtedly affected the Postal Service, but even in the worst economic times since the great depression, the USPS has had a net profit of $611 million dollars. Unfortunately, the red ink associated with the post office is the mandated pre-funding since 2006."

http://my.firedoglake.com/kaytillow/...postal-crisis/

"Mr. Nader points out that the $103.7 billion prefunding mandate is something that, "no other government or private corporation is required to do and is an incredibly unreasonable burden."

"He continues by revealing that without this onerous prepayment provision, "the USPS would not have a net deficiency of nearly $20 billion, but instead be in the black by at least $1.5 billion."

http://www.nader.org/index.php?/arch...t-Offices.html

HTH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/20/2012 2:48 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"In 2006, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement

Act. ...

That's part but not all. If the RHBF payment schedule in the PAEA
hadn't been implemented at all, it would have simply been kicking the
can down the road (similar to the bind SS is going to be in shortly).

Whether it was too aggressive can be argued...about the best overall
analysis I've seen is in a Congressional Research Report R41024

http://www.crs.gov/R41024.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/20/2012 06:32 AM, Steve B wrote:

That is what I read, and you can see my confusion

Yes, you can.

No, you can't.

Steve

I did not read "no you can't" anywhere, nor did you. Must be that PTSD
in action! You're reacting to the imminent inflight fire that occured
because you did a lousy job packing the item.

--
Beryl said this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

Something with out line breakers, that as a result was unreadable

jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

On 2/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

I routinely receive non-LiH batteries from rebuilders and in/with tools
from Amazon via USPS so I can't think they're banned.

They do require packaging and may be required to be marked "ground only"
altho I'm not positive about that.

It's Li batteries that have the outright ban for anything over like 1
g./cell, etc., ...

It is pretty clear one of the reasons USPS is going broke though--they
have so many restrictions on what can be shipped obviously folks go the
easier route to "get 'er done"....

Except for dry ice... It's easier and cheaper to use USPS to ship frozen
cheesecakes packed with dry ice... They can even go air, but must have a
DOT 9 hazmat label, shippers declaration and no more than 5# of dry ice
per package. No extra charges like UPS either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found. Hell, they can't find shipments of marijane or coke even with all
their tekkie stuff. A battery that's wrapped in tape shouldn't be a big
deal. And it's going to the next town over, not on an airliner.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sent data:" wrote in message
On 02/20/2012 06:32 AM, Steve B wrote:

That is what I read, and you can see my confusion

Yes, you can.

No, you can't.

Steve

I did not read "no you can't" anywhere, nor did you. Must be that PTSD in
action! You're reacting to the imminent inflight fire that occured because
you did a lousy job packing the item.

--
Beryl said this.

Send further when you regain lucidity.......................

over and out

roger .......................

wilco .......................

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message . ..

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found.

Just so you know....it was incredibly stupid of you to post your intentions here on usenet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:33:39 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message . ..

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found.

Just so you know....it was incredibly stupid of you to post your intentions here on usenet.

You mean, like, if it brings down an aircraft?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message . ..

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found.

Just so you know....it was incredibly stupid of you to post your intentions here on usenet.

You mean, like, if it brings down an aircraft?

Yeah, something like that...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in ....

http://my.firedoglake.com/kaytillow/...e-real-story-b...

"Mr. Nader points out that the $103.7 billion prefunding mandate is something that, "no other government or private corporation is required to do and is an incredibly unreasonable burden."

"He continues by revealing that without this onerous prepayment provision, "the USPS would not have a net deficiency of nearly $20 billion, but instead be in the black by at least $1.5 billion."

http://www.nader.org/index.php?/arch...s-Postal-Servi...

HTH- Hide quoted text -

Prepaying should be the NORM.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 20, 9:29*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"technomaNge" wrote in message

On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. *USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? *Anyone know? *Their site is full of stuff banned. *This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found. *Hell, they can't find shipments of marijane or coke even with all
their tekkie stuff. *A battery that's wrapped in tape shouldn't be a big
deal. *And it's going to the next town over, not on an airliner.

Steve

No problem...unless it explodes/burns and then you will be considered
a terrorist and jailed.

Be sure to send us your address so we can send you a cordless file
(batteries optional) to escape.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 3:33*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in er.com...

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. *USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? *Anyone know? *Their site is full of stuff banned. *This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found.

Just so you know....it was incredibly stupid of you to post your intentions here on usenet.- Hide quoted text -

You mean like Gummer posts death threats?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 4:28*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in messagenewsboak75icemvrjdic1vt1r2efe2s8478c5@4ax .com...
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:33:39 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in er.com...

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. *USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? *Anyone know? *Their site is full of stuff banned. *This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found.

Just so you know....it was incredibly stupid of you to post your intentions here on usenet.

You mean, like, if it brings down an aircraft?

Yeah, something like that...- Hide quoted text -

But it makes life much easier for the FBI...

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 19, 10:48*pm, Sent data: wrote:
Helpless Steve B:

[...]

Did you hear about the smokeless cigarette that blew up recently?

I am guesssing a lithium battery.

Cell phones and Ipads have blown up too.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:49:10 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Feb 22, 4:28Â*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in messagenewsboak75icemvrjdic1vt1r2efe2s8478c5@4ax .com...
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:33:39 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in er.com...

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. Â*USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Â*Anyone know? Â*Their site is full of stuff banned. Â*This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found.

Just so you know....it was incredibly stupid of you to post your intentions here on usenet.

You mean, like, if it brings down an aircraft?

Yeah, something like that...- Hide quoted text -

But it makes life much easier for the FBI...

TMT

FAA and NTSB
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is the prohibition also on "brown" shipments, aka ground?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in messagenewsboak75icemvrjdic1vt1r2efe2s8478c5@4ax .com...
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:33:39 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in er.com...

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 02/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. *USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? *Anyone know? *Their site is full of stuff banned.. *This is
the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

Dunno about nimh but I ship SLA (sealed lead acid), AKA
"gell cell" via UPS almost daily.

technomaNge

I'm going to tape up the terminals and ship it and claim ignorance if it is
found.

Just so you know....it was incredibly stupid of you to post your intentions here on usenet.

You mean, like, if it brings down an aircraft?

Yeah, something like that...- Hide quoted text -

But it makes life much easier for the FBI...

TMT

FAA and NTSB- Hide quoted text -

Correct...along with a number of other acronyms.

And the FBI.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Lesher" wrote in message
Is the prohibition also on "brown" shipments, aka ground?

IIRC, there are different rules for "contract shippers", and ground
shipments that are labeled "ground only". The city I am shipping is 138
miles away. Not likely it will go air.. So, the paranoid can relax. And
those with reading comprehension issues can just keep working on it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:50:44 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

[...]

Sometimes I ship stuff by air from Asia with (thousands of) batteries
installed. They require a breakdown of the chemistry used in the
cells, as well as assurance that the batteries are properly packaged
(shrink wrapped so they can't short). And even with that, I think they
go in cargo-only aircraft, judging by the stickers I've seen.

OTOH, Asian e-bay sellers and website stores frequently lie about
what's in packages and send them by air all the time- marking
(dangerous) Li laptop batteries and cellphone batteries as harmless
chargers and so on. IMHO (as a not so humble licensed engineer), it's
only a matter of time before an aircraft goes down and many people
die.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

Is the prohibition also on "brown" shipments, aka ground?

I really don't understand what you people are all on about. Per USPS
348.22 (b), "Batteries. Mailable batteries include:
Common household dry-cell batteries such as sizes AA, AAA, C, D, etc.
are generally not regulated as hazardous materials and are therefore
mailable. Packaging requirements in DMM 601.1?8 apply.".

Generally speaking a power tool battery is made up of a group of "common
household dry-cell batteries" and so would come under this
classification.

They aren't 'common'. They use different chemistry that can easily
start fires. You don't find a 24 pack of power tool batteries for under
$10.

How does a NiMH power tool battery "use different chemistry" from an
Energizer or Rayovac NiMH that you buy in packs of 4 at Walmart?

Alkaline are still the most common battery type, followed by Carbon
Zinc.

And if you have ever taken a power tool battery apart you will know that
it is assembled from standard cells, typically 1/2AA.

No, I've repaired the battery packs since the '70s, without opening
them.

You seem to be assuming that all power tool batteries are lithium ion
which is simply not the case.

You seem to be assuming that you can read my mind and you can't. Why
do you think rechargeable cells are shipped discharged?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

The postal service doesn't say "only the most common".

And if you have ever taken a power tool battery apart you will know that
it is assembled from standard cells, typically 1/2AA.

No, I've repaired the battery packs since the '70s, without opening
them.

You seem to be assuming that all power tool batteries are lithium ion
which is simply not the case.

You seem to be assuming that you can read my mind and you can't. Why
do you think rechargeable cells are shipped discharged?

You seem to be a jackass.

plonk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Typical. You can't answer the question, so you plonk someone.