Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just One Use items

A friend of mine just wrote to remind me of a good book. You
and the Police is an excellent book by Boston T Party. Pays
for itself in just one traffic or other ticket.

There are so many "just one" items around. Fire
extinguisher, tourniquet, attorney on retainer. Makes a good
subject to discuss. What are some other "just one use" and
it's paid for itself items?

Rotary rasp or file tool
Actetylene torch
Lathe with digital monitoring
First aid kit
spare tire for the car
bear spray when hiking

Other items?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 8, 9:51*am, "Stormin Mormon"
bear spray when hiking

Christopher A. Young

What's in the bear spray, napalm?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 8, 8:26*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 8, 9:51*am, "Stormin Mormon"

bear spray when hiking

Christopher A. Young

What's in the bear spray, napalm?

AKA bear repellant, AKA pepper spray, it burns without combustion.
There have supposedly been instances where noobs have applied it like
mosquito repellant. I prefer units with a heavy lead content, myself,
say 10mm to 12 ga. In some states you can get bear repellant where
pepper spray is outlawed. Same cans, different lettering.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim sez
"What's in the bear spray, napalm?" Naw, better if the spray contains sex pheromones, so you can
through on your hunting companion while you get Hell out of there..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Mar 8, 9:51 am, "Stormin Mormon"
bear spray when hiking

Christopher A. Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:51*am, "Stormin Mormon"
bear spray when hiking

Christopher A. Young

What's in the bear spray, napalm?

It's just extra 'hot' pepper spray. The canister usually has a bit more
volume and range as well.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message Machinery's Handbook
[...]

Mr. Bill's sliver grippers and a magnifying light, 3x.
Gets used more than once though, might not count. ;))
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Mon, 08 Mar 2010 14:36:54 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:09:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Mar 8, 8:26*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 8, 9:51*am, "Stormin Mormon"

bear spray when hiking
Christopher A. Young

What's in the bear spray, napalm?

AKA bear repellant, AKA pepper spray, it burns without combustion.
There have supposedly been instances where noobs have applied it like
mosquito repellant. I prefer units with a heavy lead content, myself,
say 10mm to 12 ga. In some states you can get bear repellant where
pepper spray is outlawed. Same cans, different lettering.

Stan

And the Bear Spray tends to shoot farther and with more volume, then
small cans of "pepper spray"

There are a couple advances of pepperspray over bullets
1. Doesnt harm the animal
2.Tends to temporarily blind them so they cant see you to attack.

On the other hand...#2 is really really Iffy.....

Just make sure you're up wind of the critter. Less chance of
'blow back'.

Carry a caliber suitable to stop the attack, and use pepper spray as
your first line of defense..but be also prepared to quickly switch to
the caliber you chose if the spray doesnt fend off the attack.

"Attention campers. The correct answer to 'What do you do when
faced with abear in the wild?' is not 'Butter up the fat kid and push
him in front!'!"

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 8, 7:26*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
* * * * "Attention campers. *The correct answer to 'What do you do when
faced with abear in the wild?' is not 'Butter up the fat kid and push
him in front!'!"

pyotr

Dial 911?

Actually I've stood still and they just walked past.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

What's in the bear spray, napalm?

Double Ought!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Jim sez
"What's in the bear spray, napalm?" Naw, better if the spray contains sex pheromones, so you can
through on your hunting companion while you get Hell out of there..

How fast do you have to run to out run a bear? Faster than the guy next to you.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Mar 8, 7:26 pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
"Attention campers. The correct answer to 'What do you do when
faced with abear in the wild?' is not 'Butter up the fat kid and push
him in front!'!"

pyotr

Dial 911?

Actually I've stood still and they just walked past.

jsw

They can be sneaky, though. My uncle was trout fishing on Pine Creek in PA
many years ago, and stepped out of the stream to eat some blackberries off a
bush. He was just getting into it when he heard a "woof," looked around, and
saw a second-year cub eating blackberries on the other side of the bush. The
bear spun around and ran off -- but not before discharging fully digested
blueberries all up and down the uncle. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2010 2:30 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

(...)

Mr. Bill's sliver grippers and a magnifying light, 3x.
Gets used more than once though, might not count. ;))
phil

An excellent tool for almost No Money.
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/ct_catalog.htm

I've had one on my key ring for many years.

--Winston -- Just a Happy Customer!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
A friend of mine just wrote to remind me of a good book. You
and the Police is an excellent book by Boston T Party. Pays
for itself in just one traffic or other ticket.

There are so many "just one" items around. Fire
extinguisher, tourniquet, attorney on retainer. Makes a good
subject to discuss. What are some other "just one use" and
it's paid for itself items?

Rotary rasp or file tool
Actetylene torch
Lathe with digital monitoring
First aid kit
spare tire for the car
bear spray when hiking

Other items?

1) "CPR for dummies" book
2) A toilet plunger (may be used in conjunction with (1) or as an item for
its originally intended purpose - either way...priceless!
3) Impact wrench (learned that one after the event).
4) A Big Hammer (paid for itself several times over).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:18:05 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/8/2010 2:30 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

(...)

Mr. Bill's sliver grippers and a magnifying light, 3x.
Gets used more than once though, might not count. ;))
phil

An excellent tool for almost No Money.
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/ct_catalog.htm

I've had one on my key ring for many years.

I've been buying Victorinox Classics for a couple decades now. Target
has them on sale for $10 every once in awhile, and I even got one for
one of my girlfriends who often borrowed mine. I've had red and blue
ones, but not the pink translucent or USA versions. The little
tweezers on them are very good. http://tinyurl.com/ycvx5jv
And they're good for years and years, not just one use.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Jim Wilkins on or about
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:37:51 -0800 (PST) did write/type or cause to appear
On Mar 8, 7:26*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
* * * * "Attention campers. *The correct answer to 'What do you do when
faced with abear in the wild?' is not 'Butter up the fat kid and push
him in front!'!"

pyotr

Dial 911?

Actually I've stood still and they just walked past.

I've friend who acquired the name "Snuffles". Out on the trail
one morning in Yellowstone (where he worked) came round a bend and
there was a small bear. He froze, it froze. Then the bear came
towards him, took a couple sniffs, turned around and went back the way
he'd come. When the bear was out of sight so did Mike.

I've also heard of blackberry pickers being out and realizing that
on the other side of the bramble, are some bears. So as long as
everybody doesn't make any sudden loud noises, stays on their side,
and there are plenty of berries - alles gut! But now you understand
why women tend to chatter. "Just little ol' me, over here on this
side, Mrs Bruin, not anywhere near where you and the cubs are."
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
A friend of mine just wrote to remind me of a good book. You
and the Police is an excellent book by Boston T Party. Pays
for itself in just one traffic or other ticket.

There are so many "just one" items around. Fire
extinguisher, tourniquet, attorney on retainer. Makes a good
subject to discuss. What are some other "just one use" and
it's paid for itself items?

Rotary rasp or file tool
Actetylene torch
Lathe with digital monitoring
First aid kit
spare tire for the car
bear spray when hiking

Other items?

Any tool from Harbor Fright, more than one use is a bonus!

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
On 3/8/2010 2:30 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

(...)

Mr. Bill's sliver grippers and a magnifying light, 3x.
Gets used more than once though, might not count. ;))
phil

An excellent tool for almost No Money.
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/ct_catalog.htm

I've had one on my key ring for many years.

--Winston -- Just a Happy Customer!

Yeah, that's the one. My brain kept thinking Mr. Bill not
Uncle Bill! Another 'tool' I have is a broken 3/8 solid
carbide atrax straight flute die drill that was snapped off
on
breakthrough that resulted in a spiral shaped shank
coming to a point and has an exceptionally sharp edge!
I used it to carve away a bothersome wart on my finger.
Once I got it ringed after several sessions the wart was
just pleading for release and that sharp edge cut it off
pretty as you please. The wart is gone, forever....;))
Not for the faint of heart though....heh heh
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:26:45 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Depends on ones relations with ones children. Id have slavered meat
sauce and put some fresh uncooked steaks in my sons shirt pocket if we
had been anyplace there were bears of any note.

Gunner

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"I believe that being despised by the despicable
is as good as being admired by the admirable."

From long experience myself, I can only say, "You betcha."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:10:15 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Growing up in Michgian, on the Ausable River..fly fishing country..had
lots and lots and lots of black bear. Lots of em.

Been more times then I could count Id be fly fishing with bears eating
blueberrys all around me. Caught one with a Royal Coachman once..right
on the tip of her nose, on back cast. She went cross eyed trying to
figure out what had bitten her nose..and I snapped the line forwards and
pulled it out of her snozz. She ****ed and moaned for a couple minutes
then went back to eating berries.

Had a few old timers get ****y a time or two, but most of them were
pretty much used to and moderatly cautious around humans.

Gunner

"I believe that being despised by the despicable
is as good as being admired by the admirable."

From long experience myself, I can only say, "You betcha."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 20:28:41 -0600, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
A friend of mine just wrote to remind me of a good book. You
and the Police is an excellent book by Boston T Party. Pays
for itself in just one traffic or other ticket.

There are so many "just one" items around. Fire
extinguisher, tourniquet, attorney on retainer. Makes a good
subject to discuss. What are some other "just one use" and
it's paid for itself items?

Rotary rasp or file tool
Actetylene torch
Lathe with digital monitoring
First aid kit
spare tire for the car
bear spray when hiking

Other items?

Any tool from Harbor Fright, more than one use is a bonus!

David

Actually..to be fair..unless you are buying the 2 for a dollar
tools..the vast majority of the HF tools are decent enough.

After the burglary to my truck, where persons unknown got $11,000 worth
of tools, SnapOn etc etc from my service truck..I bought HF sockets, box
ends, crescents etc etc. And I still havent broken a single one. And I
make my living repairing machine tools with em.

And if I need to make a Special tool..I dont cringe about cutting,
welding, bending etc etc a HF tool.

And they are cheap enough to replace.

Gunner

"I believe that being despised by the despicable
is as good as being admired by the admirable."

From long experience myself, I can only say, "You betcha."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2010 6:35 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

(...)

The wart is gone, forever....;))
Not for the faint of heart though....heh heh
phil

Inverted can of 'duster' spray makes
actinic keritosis lesions exit stage right.
Takes a while (and the first couple layers of
skin)....

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bear Spray? For manageing unruly Bruins? was Just One Use items

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:55:50 -0800 did write/type or cause to
wrote:

[...]

Well, they're you're kids, so "You brung 'em in, you can take 'em
out."

http://www.rhjunior.com/CC/00055.html

That's Charles in the hammock. He's a Counselor at a Summer Camp...
and used to go there when he was a kid. He's the sort of counselor
that the kids love, but the parents can't stand.
What makes the "experience" so much fun is that the Camp is now
sponsored by the ASPCA, PETA, The American Academy of Child and
Adolescent Psychiatry, and Greenpeace." In other words, not a single
group which knows beans about Nature, true Native American History, or
children under the age of 24.
I think you'll like it.

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Buttered fatassses, meat sauce and uncooked steaks are way far yonder
behind bacon grease as bear bait.

Justice is a sex offender lashed to a tree in the northwoods,
liberally smeared with bacon grease, perhaps not far from the
sex-offender prison (with color TV) in Moose Lake he dodged by legal
chicanary. The prison is full but the northwoods is capacious.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Bookmarked!!

Gunner

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Marvelous cartoon! I just read em start to finish. Funny as hell and
accurate.

Had me laughing hysterically in a number of places.

Gunner, one time camp counseler

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:57:23 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 19:35:20 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Naw, Wes. I meant run whilst the bear is attracted to the other guy. Too bad if it happens to be
your hunting companion.

What are you guys hunting with? I'm starting to think keeping a few 20ga slugs with me
while bird hunting might be a good idea.

Wes

Ayup. And they are rather cheap if you buy em in 5 packs. Works a treat
on bigger game, 2 and four legged, and does a rather decent job on the
passenger compartments of motor vehicles.

Are you going to explain that last part, mon? vbg

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 19:38:48 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Any tool from Harbor Fright, more than one use is a bonus!

I bought some rolling head pry bars. Each lasted less than one use.

The 4-piece set? I still have mine 30 years later but only use it for
alignment and as a jack handle. I think I've used one or another of
them for prying two pieces of wood apart, too. Nothing rough.

Same for some metal stamps. One hit on 1018 and my O stamp is now in BOLD FONT.

Oops! I haven't tried mine yet.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought some rolling head pry bars. Each lasted less than one use.

The 4-piece set? I still have mine 30 years later but only use it for
alignment and as a jack handle. I think I've used one or another of
them for prying two pieces of wood apart, too. Nothing rough.

I bought 2 4 piece sets while attending NAMES last year. I've killed four of them in
matching pairs.

My Sears pry and a coupe of Mc Master Carr pry's are going strong still.

Same for some metal stamps. One hit on 1018 and my O stamp is now in BOLD FONT.

Oops! I haven't tried mine yet.

Try all the characters, I suspect they HT one character at a time in a large batch with
typical varying results.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Don goes, "Anchor on a Toyota?"

Right on! Recent developments on the Toyota scene should put all Greenies out of the Prius mood.

I'm thinking of a Toyota with a drag racing drag chute mounted for those JIC moments.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 10, 5:10*pm, Wes wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote:
Don goes, "Anchor on a Toyota?"

Right on! *Recent developments on the Toyota scene should put all Greenies out of the Prius mood.

I'm thinking of a Toyota with a drag racing drag chute mounted for those JIC moments.

Wes

A fuel pump cutoff switch?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I'm thinking of a Toyota with a drag racing drag chute mounted for those =

JIC moments.

Wes

A fuel pump cutoff switch?

And a battery cut out if a Prius.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:10:10 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Don goes, "Anchor on a Toyota?"

Right on! Recent developments on the Toyota scene should put all Greenies out of the Prius mood.

I'm thinking of a Toyota with a drag racing drag chute mounted for those JIC moments.

Wes

I learned to handle WOT on a '84 Citation - drove it 7 miles to get
off the thruway and to a location where I could kick the b*tch loose
without hitting neutral and let it blow the engine.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:08:43 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought some rolling head pry bars. Each lasted less than one use.

The 4-piece set? I still have mine 30 years later but only use it for
alignment and as a jack handle. I think I've used one or another of
them for prying two pieces of wood apart, too. Nothing rough.

I bought 2 4 piece sets while attending NAMES last year. I've killed four of them in
matching pairs.

Are they breaking from being too brittle, or bending due to lack of
hardening?

My Sears pry and a coupe of Mc Master Carr pry's are going strong still.

Bueno. My HF digging bar is just peachy. The medium pry bar with a
round and a flat chisel end is softer than hell on the round end.

Same for some metal stamps. One hit on 1018 and my O stamp is now in BOLD FONT.

Oops! I haven't tried mine yet.

Try all the characters, I suspect they HT one character at a time in a large batch with
typical varying results.

That would tend to suck. I'd have to go to HF and say "Hi, Mr.
Manager. I'm going to need all your sets of alphanumeric stamps, a
hammer, and a place to sit and try them. Here are the bad characters
from the set I bought. I brought my own metal to sample 'em."

Hmm, I wonder if it's just not worth it? g

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:10:10 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Don goes, "Anchor on a Toyota?"

Right on! Recent developments on the Toyota scene should put all Greenies out of the Prius mood.

I'm thinking of a Toyota with a drag racing drag chute mounted for those JIC moments.

I haven't had to flip the switch and stand on the brakes yet. shrug

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
-- Ronald Reagan

. Prepare your Items watchec Woodworking 0 April 25th 08 07:01 PM
Ebay Items? Adam[_2_] Woodworking 13 November 14th 07 05:48 PM
WTB: Assorted items [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 23rd 06 02:44 AM
looking for several items [email protected] Woodworking 1 October 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Items of interest Steve Shaffer Home Ownership 0 September 23rd 04 11:39 PM