Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bear Spray? For manageing unruly Bruins? was Just One Use items

Let the Record show that Don Foreman
on or about Tue, 09 Mar 2010 01:44:43 -0600 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Buttered fatassses, meat sauce and uncooked steaks are way far yonder
behind bacon grease as bear bait.

Justice is a sex offender lashed to a tree in the northwoods,
liberally smeared with bacon grease, perhaps not far from the
sex-offender prison (with color TV) in Moose Lake he dodged by legal
chicanary. The prison is full but the northwoods is capacious.

As one of the new counselors is tempted "We're in the center of
five hundred acres of woods ..."
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Tue, 09 Mar 2010 02:41:40 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 00:45:58 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 23:01:34 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:55:50 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:26:45 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Mon, 08 Mar 2010 14:36:54 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:09:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Mar 8, 8:26*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 8, 9:51*am, "Stormin Mormon"

bear spray when hiking
Christopher A. Young

What's in the bear spray, napalm?

AKA bear repellant, AKA pepper spray, it burns without combustion.
There have supposedly been instances where noobs have applied it like
mosquito repellant. I prefer units with a heavy lead content, myself,
say 10mm to 12 ga. In some states you can get bear repellant where
pepper spray is outlawed. Same cans, different lettering.

Stan

And the Bear Spray tends to shoot farther and with more volume, then
small cans of "pepper spray"

There are a couple advances of pepperspray over bullets
1. Doesnt harm the animal
2.Tends to temporarily blind them so they cant see you to attack.

On the other hand...#2 is really really Iffy.....

Just make sure you're up wind of the critter. Less chance of
'blow back'.

Carry a caliber suitable to stop the attack, and use pepper spray as
your first line of defense..but be also prepared to quickly switch to
the caliber you chose if the spray doesnt fend off the attack.

"Attention campers. The correct answer to 'What do you do when
faced with abear in the wild?' is not 'Butter up the fat kid and push
him in front!'!"

Depends on ones relations with ones children. Id have slavered meat
sauce and put some fresh uncooked steaks in my sons shirt pocket if we
had been anyplace there were bears of any note.

Well, they're you're kids, so "You brung 'em in, you can take 'em
out."

http://www.rhjunior.com/CC/00055.html

That's Charles in the hammock. He's a Counselor at a Summer Camp...
and used to go there when he was a kid. He's the sort of counselor
that the kids love, but the parents can't stand.
What makes the "experience" so much fun is that the Camp is now
sponsored by the ASPCA, PETA, The American Academy of Child and
Adolescent Psychiatry, and Greenpeace." In other words, not a single
group which knows beans about Nature, true Native American History, or
children under the age of 24.
I think you'll like it.

Bookmarked!!

Gunner

Marvelous cartoon! I just read em start to finish. Funny as hell and
accurate.

Had me laughing hysterically in a number of places.

Gunner, one time camp counseler

You might find "Nip and Tuck" a hoot , as well as "Quinton Questor
Space Ranger!" (He tears into the whole Star Trek mythos with a
chainsaw...)
I just laugh my self silly reading them. And inflicting them on
friends.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just One Use items

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:08:43 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought some rolling head pry bars. Each lasted less than one use.

The 4-piece set? I still have mine 30 years later but only use it for
alignment and as a jack handle. I think I've used one or another of
them for prying two pieces of wood apart, too. Nothing rough.

I bought 2 4 piece sets while attending NAMES last year. I've killed four of them in
matching pairs.

Are they breaking from being too brittle, or bending due to lack of
hardening?

Snapped like peanut brittle.

My Sears pry and a coupe of Mc Master Carr pry's are going strong still.

Bueno. My HF digging bar is just peachy. The medium pry bar with a
round and a flat chisel end is softer than hell on the round end.

Variable quality. We had a local place that sold chineese tools until it folded. Their
tools tended to be a-ok, never had to return any.

Same for some metal stamps. One hit on 1018 and my O stamp is now in BOLD FONT.

Oops! I haven't tried mine yet.

Might as well test them. Rc50 is what a good stamp should be able to mark iirc.
Obviously, the harder the target you stamp, the shorter the stamp life.

Try all the characters, I suspect they HT one character at a time in a large batch with
typical varying results.

That would tend to suck. I'd have to go to HF and say "Hi, Mr.
Manager. I'm going to need all your sets of alphanumeric stamps, a
hammer, and a place to sit and try them. Here are the bad characters
from the set I bought. I brought my own metal to sample 'em."

Might as well.

Hmm, I wonder if it's just not worth it? g

I'm thinking I need a lead to a source of quality stamps and just go with it. Expecting
China at a low price point to get things right 36-40 times in a row is not realistic.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Attention campers. The correct answer to 'What do you do when
faced with abear in the wild?' is not 'Butter up the fat kid and push
him in front!'!"

What if they are already buttered? Or better yet, covered in honey
after getting into a beehive? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:51:29 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

A friend of mine just wrote to remind me of a good book. You
and the Police is an excellent book by Boston T Party. Pays
for itself in just one traffic or other ticket.

There are so many "just one" items around. Fire
extinguisher, tourniquet, attorney on retainer. Makes a good
subject to discuss. What are some other "just one use" and
it's paid for itself items?

Rotary rasp or file tool
Actetylene torch
Lathe with digital monitoring
First aid kit
spare tire for the car
bear spray when hiking

Other items?

Anchor on a Toyota?

You had a '73 Corona? The poor design let the brake pads to eject if
you had to brake hard, in reverse. It could have used two anchors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Jim sez
"What's in the bear spray, napalm?" Naw, better if the spray contains sex pheromones, so you can
through on your hunting companion while you get Hell out of there..

How fast do you have to run to out run a bear? Faster than the guy next to you.

If the bear doesn't have freinds...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 6:58*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"

How fast do you have to run to out run a bear? *Faster than the guy next to you.

* *If the bear doesn't have freinds...

Except for mothers with cubs I think bears avoid each other. There
aren't too many animals that get along well. Watch a bird feeder for
instance. Even mating pairs don't share.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 6:58 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"

How fast do you have to run to out run a bear? Faster than the guy next
to you.

If the bear doesn't have freinds...

Except for mothers with cubs I think bears avoid each other. There
aren't too many animals that get along well. Watch a bird feeder for
instance. Even mating pairs don't share.

jsw

Reply: Depends on the birds. The Sparrows, doves, finches all share our
feeder. Only thing that stops them at about 30 is there is no more room on
the perches, rim, or tray underneath.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 9:49*pm, "CalifBill" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
[birds]

Reply: *Depends on the birds. *The Sparrows, doves, finches all share our
feeder. *Only thing that stops them at about 30 is there is no more room on
the perches, rim, or tray underneath.

Around here only the chickadees will share. The male cardinal makes
the female wait elsewhere although there is a second perch on the
opposite side.

I was feeding some disgusting cheese crackers to seagulls and noticed
that one big, tough-looking but crippled one dominated the rest. When
I tossed them closer than he dared approach he wouldn't let any of the
others past, so I had him hobbling back and forth playing goalie in
front of a line of crackers. After a minute or so I threw them the
whole bag and backed away.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 14, 6:58 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"

How fast do you have to run to out run a bear? Faster than the guy next to you.

If the bear doesn't have freinds...

Except for mothers with cubs I think bears avoid each other. There
aren't too many animals that get along well. Watch a bird feeder for
instance. Even mating pairs don't share.

They don't have to get along, to hunt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:30:49 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:57:23 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 19:35:20 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Naw, Wes. I meant run whilst the bear is attracted to the other guy. Too bad if it happens to be
your hunting companion.

What are you guys hunting with? I'm starting to think keeping a few 20ga slugs with me
while bird hunting might be a good idea.

Wes

Ayup. And they are rather cheap if you buy em in 5 packs. Works a treat
on bigger game, 2 and four legged, and does a rather decent job on the
passenger compartments of motor vehicles.

Are you going to explain that last part, mon? vbg

Think it actually needs an explaination? Slugs work better than
buckshot when one needs to put leaks in motor vehicles and their
contents.

Shrug

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

. Prepare your Items watchec Woodworking 0 April 25th 08 07:01 PM
Ebay Items? Adam[_2_] Woodworking 13 November 14th 07 05:48 PM
WTB: Assorted items [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 23rd 06 02:44 AM
looking for several items [email protected] Woodworking 1 October 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Items of interest Steve Shaffer Home Ownership 0 September 23rd 04 11:39 PM