Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default UPS prohibited items

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:50:44 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Feb 19, 10:48*pm, Sent data: wrote:
Helpless Steve B:

I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. *USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? *Anyone know? *Their site is full of stuff banned. *This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

Steve

On their page

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/index.jsx

it's hard not to find the link to "Safely Packing Lithium Batteries Is
Critical"

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/about/news/service_updates/20091007_...

Lithium is not NiMH, but it is a battery type, and I'm not you, so I
read it. It says

"If you ship packages containing batteries, whether by ground or air, it
is your responsibility to make sure they are packaged correctly and
ensure they comply with all applicable regulations."

Hmmm... *UPS says if you ship packages with batteries, it is your
responsibility to package them correctly. From that, I would guess that
shipping batteries is not prohibited by UPS.

Did you hear about the smokeless cigarette that blew up recently?

I am guesssing a lithium battery.

Cell phones and Ipads have blown up too.

TMT

Sometimes I ship stuff by air from Asia with (thousands of) batteries
installed. They require a breakdown of the chemistry used in the
cells, as well as assurance that the batteries are properly packaged
(shrink wrapped so they can't short). And even with that, I think they
go in cargo-only aircraft, judging by the stickers I've seen.

OTOH, Asian e-bay sellers and website stores frequently lie about
what's in packages and send them by air all the time- marking
(dangerous) Li laptop batteries and cellphone batteries as harmless
chargers and so on. IMHO (as a not so humble licensed engineer), it's
only a matter of time before an aircraft goes down and many people
die.