#5   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default UPS prohibited items

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 2/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

I routinely receive non-LiH batteries from rebuilders and in/with tools
from Amazon via USPS so I can't think they're banned.

They do require packaging and may be required to be marked "ground only"
altho I'm not positive about that.

It's Li batteries that have the outright ban for anything over like 1
g./cell, etc., ...

It is pretty clear one of the reasons USPS is going broke though--they
have so many restrictions on what can be shipped obviously folks go the
easier route to "get 'er done"....

"Neither workers nor our unions caused this crisis."

"In 2006, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act. This law requires the Postal Service to do something that no other business or government agency has to do-pre-fund its FUTURE retiree health care benefits. This is a 75 year liability that has to be paid in 10 years. The Postal Service makes a payment of approximately $5.5 billion on September 30 at the end of every fiscal year to meet this obligation. The Post Office has been paying these benefits the past four years into a trust fund for employees who have not even been born yet. This is the burden that is creating the "financial crisis" for the Post Office. The recession that has gripped America the past few years has undoubtedly affected the Postal Service, but even in the worst economic times since the great depression, the USPS has had a net profit of $611 million dollars. Unfortunately, the red ink associated with the post office is the mandated pre-funding since 2006."

http://my.firedoglake.com/kaytillow/...postal-crisis/

"Mr. Nader points out that the $103.7 billion prefunding mandate is something that, "no other government or private corporation is required to do and is an incredibly unreasonable burden."

"He continues by revealing that without this onerous prepayment provision, "the USPS would not have a net deficiency of nearly $20 billion, but instead be in the black by at least $1.5 billion."

http://www.nader.org/index.php?/arch...t-Offices.html

HTH