Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default UPS prohibited items

dpb wrote:

On 2/19/2012 10:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to send a friend a DeWalt 18v. drill. USPS says no batteries, how
about UPS? Anyone know? Their site is full of stuff banned. This is the
regular drycell nimh battery, attached to the drill.

I routinely receive non-LiH batteries from rebuilders and in/with tools
from Amazon via USPS so I can't think they're banned.

They do require packaging and may be required to be marked "ground only"
altho I'm not positive about that.

It's Li batteries that have the outright ban for anything over like 1
g./cell, etc., ...

It is pretty clear one of the reasons USPS is going broke though--they
have so many restrictions on what can be shipped obviously folks go the
easier route to "get 'er done"....

Except for dry ice... It's easier and cheaper to use USPS to ship frozen
cheesecakes packed with dry ice... They can even go air, but must have a
DOT 9 hazmat label, shippers declaration and no more than 5# of dry ice
per package. No extra charges like UPS either.