Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

On 2012-02-15, dpb wrote:
On 2/14/2012 7:14 PM, Ignoramus10095 wrote:

dpb, here's where I am lost.

The carburetor, visibly, does NOT have a bowl. It does, however, have
those electric valves on top. It might have a bowl, but its location
is not obvious or visible.

I hadn't looked at the closeup pictures before, but just did after
thinking about the year. It's one of the hybrid injection systems.
I've had a couple but never had to work on one so forget the earlier
thoughts posted--they're not pertinent to these.

I think the phrase is "throttle body injection" for looking for information.

If I were to hazard a complete guess, it would be after two years idle
the injectors are plugged. How to attack them, specifically, I don't
know, sorry.

--
How do they work, do they create pressure, or are they just valves,
with the pressure created by the in-tank pump?

A fuel injector is just a solenoid actuated spray nozzle. The in-tank
pump provides the fuel pressure and the pressure regulator regulates
that pressure sending excess fuel back to the tank via the return line.

OK, now I have the picture, I think. I am now thinking of proper ways
to troubleshoot this.

I guess that a first test would be to activate the fuel pump without
cranking (by turning the ignirion key almost to the crank position),
and apply 12v to the injectors.

Depending on whether they spray fuel or not, I will know what is wrong
or at least will move in the right direction.

Thanks

You apply 12 volts to those injectors and you WILL be replacing them.
They are NOT 12 volts and they are NOT continuous duty.
What has happened is common to ALL EFI vehicles. The injector nozzles
and passages are plugged with dried gas residue.
You MIGHT be able to clean them but you can get a complete TBI unit from
a salvage yard for cheap.
Also you will want to check the fuel pressure. If you installed the
wrong fuel pump the injectors won't operate.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 03:19:59 -0600, Ignoramus10095

On 2012-02-15, Pete C. wrote:

azotic wrote:
Onboard computer bad ?
Check fuel line pressure ?

Looks like throttle body injection (TBI), lots of stuff to go wrong.

Best Regards
Tom.

Yes, if it is TBI it does not have a carburetor, it has a throttle body
which only superficially looks like a carb. The TBI setup has an in-tank
high(er) pressure fuel pump and two fuel injectors in the throttle body.
You can check to see if the injectors are being opened by the PCM with
"NOID" lights which you can usually borrow from an auto parts place
(with deposit). If the injectors are getting driven by the PCM they may
well be clogged/stuck, I don't believe a set of those injectors is all
that expensive. If they are not getting driven by the PCM there could be
issues with sensors like crankshaft or camshaft position.

What model year is it? I had a 1990 FS Blazer with the TBI 350 and the
TBI 454 was an option. I *think* I still have the manuals for it around.

This does seem to be TBI (not that I know much) and the engine is a
Chevy 454!

If you have anything on it, I would love to get a copy or a scan!

http://wpnet.us/TBI_Fuel_Control.pdf

Sorry it's not in order, my scanner has ADF but no provisions for double
sided.

Pete, thanks, I have downloaded it and I am studying it.

One thing that'll make your life a lot easier, it looks like there's a
Cotter Clip by the radiator support, and a support bar over the axle -
those molded plastic fender liners look like they pop right out for
much easier service access to the engine compartment. The tire is
still in the way, but we can't fix everything.

TBI is like EFI - if any of the sensors are bad it won't go, and
certain sensors it doesn't set trouble codes for - for example, if the
Crankshaft Position Sensor goes bad the EFI computer simply thinks the
engine isn't turning over. You have to hook up a voltmeter and look
for the proper signals coming from the sensors as you crank it over.

Check for proper fuel pressures at the tank and at the TB - even if
the fuel pump is good, a bad pressure regulator can choke it off, or
shunt the fuel flow back to the tank on the return line. There will
be a spec in the book as to how many gallons per minute it pumps, you
direct the flow into a bottle and hot-wire the pump.

Change the fuel filter on general principles, but it probably is not
the cause of a no-start - even if it's hopelessly clogged for pulling
a hill (and you'll feel the drivability issues as it is starved for
fuel) it would have to be totally cemented shut to not flow enough to
start and idle.

* * * * * * * * *

Oh, and Right NOW you need to peel off the stickers / buff out/ paint
over/ cover up the prior owner's name on the doors and the DOT numbers
on the fenders. The prior owners should have obscured the name and
numbers themselves the minute it changed hands, or required you to do
it ASAP.

All sorts of unwanted excitement could come from that incorrect ID or
DOT# - you for falsification of ID, or a cop runs the numbers and
finds that the associated insurance policy with that DOT# was
cancelled...

Either way, they now have the authority to pull you over to find out
what's up, and they have the Probable Cause to start fishing for any
spare change in your pockets - With visions of Dollar Signs dancing in
their heads. SFX: Cash Register {Ka-CHING!}

Commercial drivers license and proper endorsements, medical
certificate, insurance, Driver's Daily Vehicle Safety Inspection log
book, Driver's Log Books, required equipment (flares, triangles,
flags, etc.) busted tail light, cut tire or below minimum tread depth,
fire extinguisher current, missing or improper mud-flaps, dirt or
gravel load not tarped...

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:43:23 -0600, Ignoramus10095

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I probably would just check for the presence of voltage at the injector coil
during cranking.

Eliminates pretty much everything but clogged injector.

OK, now the 64,000 dollar question: can they be un-clogged?

Yes, but you might not want to drop $100 - $150 on the Mechanic's EFI
Cleaning Kit - And the engine does have to be able to start and run,
even if badly.

You basically disconnect the fuel line and screw on a special pressure
regulator and hose adapter gadget, then attach a pressurized 2-liter
bottle of special 100% cleaning solvent. The replacement bottles of
cleaner are about $20 or so each.

Then start the engine and run it at idle till the solvent has all run
through - and about halfway through the bottle you'll hear the engine
even out and start acting right, especially on Port Fuel Injected
engines where a clogged injector means a dead hole.

On your TBI engine one side clogged means one side runs really lean,
and it'll run like a 4-cylinder if it starts at all. I'll bet there
isn't much (if any) crossover in the intake manifold between the two
sides. They deliberately do that to keep the velocities even on the
two sides, they each flow 4 cylinders in an even pattern.

Just remember the rules, you can condense it down to the basics.
Requirements: Fuel, Spark, Air, clear Exhaust system.
Otto Cycle: Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.
And get rid of the excess heat, Or Else.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:50:34 -0800, "azotic"

m...
On 2012-02-14, Winston wrote:
Ignoramus10095 wrote:
I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.

Pictures of the truck and carburetor are he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Chevy-Kodiak/

(...)

Any ideas what could be wrong? Carb cleanout and rebuild necessary?

Yup. But first, remove the contaminated gasoline
from the tank, pump and lines. Safest would be
to remove the gas tank and have it de-rusted,
cleaned and lined.

--Winston

We did this, thanks.

Onboard computer bad ?
Check fuel line pressure ?

Looks like throttle body injection (TBI), lots of stuff to go wrong.

Yeah, that's not a carb, it's Chebby's style of EFI.

Ig, get the service manual on it and go from there. I wonder if they
had computer access ports on that truck. If so, find out which reader
can see it and look for the troubleshooting codes.

Now that you have the truck and trailer for it, you can buy a
loader/backhoe and be able to move it around.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10095 writes:

Do you think that I should try to clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner?

If so, what liquid should I use for cleaning?

Carb cleaner... nasty stuff, keep it off your skin,

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I probably would just check for the presence of voltage at the injector coil
during cranking.

Eliminates pretty much everything but clogged injector.

OK, now the 64,000 dollar question: can they be un-clogged?

Yes, but you might not want to drop $100 - $150 on the Mechanic's EFI
Cleaning Kit - And the engine does have to be able to start and run,
even if badly.

You basically disconnect the fuel line and screw on a special pressure
regulator and hose adapter gadget, then attach a pressurized 2-liter
bottle of special 100% cleaning solvent. The replacement bottles of
cleaner are about $20 or so each.

The extremely expensive Berryman's-B-12-Equivalency kit!

Then start the engine and run it at idle till the solvent has all run
through - and about halfway through the bottle you'll hear the engine
even out and start acting right, especially on Port Fuel Injected
engines where a clogged injector means a dead hole.

It's a beautiful sound, that.

On your TBI engine one side clogged means one side runs really lean,
and it'll run like a 4-cylinder if it starts at all. I'll bet there
isn't much (if any) crossover in the intake manifold between the two
sides. They deliberately do that to keep the velocities even on the
two sides, they each flow 4 cylinders in an even pattern.

Prolly so.

Just remember the rules, you can condense it down to the basics.
Requirements: Fuel, Spark, Air, clear Exhaust system.
Otto Cycle: Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.
And get rid of the excess heat, Or Else.

I _like_ it!

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/15/2012 11:00 PM, David Lesher wrote:
writes:

Do you think that I should try to clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner?

If so, what liquid should I use for cleaning?

Carb cleaner... nasty stuff, keep it off your skin,

Yea, when I bought my POS honda, it ran a bit rough, I took out the
injectors, soaked them in a bath of carb cleaner over night, reinstalled
with new seals and it ran 100% better. I bought one of those pails of
cleaner with a basket in it like this http://tinyurl.com/6s3hdqv but I
don't remember it being that much. It was 5+ years ago
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 6:10*pm, Ignoramus10095 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10095.invalid wrote:
I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.

As an aside, how many commercial vehicles do you have to own before
the State and/or Feds consider you a Motor Carrier (it does not need
to be the primary purpose of your business for you to fall under that
designation)? What legal resposibilities up to and including Homeland
Security do you need to follow once they decide that is one of your
hats?

Keep an eye on that stuff or it will bite you.
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I probably would just check for the presence of voltage at the injector coil
during cranking.

Eliminates pretty much everything but clogged injector.

OK, now the 64,000 dollar question: can they be un-clogged?

Yes, but you might not want to drop $100 - $150 on the Mechanic's EFI
Cleaning Kit - And the engine does have to be able to start and run,
even if badly.

You basically disconnect the fuel line and screw on a special pressure
regulator and hose adapter gadget, then attach a pressurized 2-liter
bottle of special 100% cleaning solvent. The replacement bottles of
cleaner are about $20 or so each.

The extremely expensive Berryman's-B-12-Equivalency kit!

Not even remotely close. The B12 is good stuff for general fuel system
maintenance, but it is a far cry from running 100% cleaner through the
injectors.

Iggy, I have a 3M fuel injector cleaner rig I could loan you, it would
easily fit in a small priority mail box and you can get the cleaner
canisters at most any auto parts place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

I cleaned them with ultrasound last night. If that helps, great, if
not, I will buy new ones.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Thanks Pete. We'll see. I cleaned them in an ultrasound cleaner
yesterday, I will see if it helps, I think that I can buy
replacements at NAPA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Yea, at ~$130 for a pair of new injectors it isn't a big deal. For the
later MPFI engines with 8 x $100 injectors it makes more sense to try a
couple cleanings first.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

writes:

Do you think that I should try to clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner?

If so, what liquid should I use for cleaning?

Carb cleaner... nasty stuff, keep it off your skin,

Yea, when I bought my POS honda, it ran a bit rough, I took out the
injectors, soaked them in a bath of carb cleaner over night, reinstalled
with new seals and it ran 100% better. I bought one of those pails of
cleaner with a basket in it like this http://tinyurl.com/6s3hdqv but I
don't remember it being that much. It was 5+ years ago

You're lucky they were steel and it was the "environmental" bull****.
If you had soaked aluminum carb parts in a REAL (Chem Dip) dip tank
overnight, you'd have come back to a nearly empty basket the next day.
http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Port...01,%200905.pdf
Nasty ****, mon, and exactly what's needed to do the job right and
quickly.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10095.invalid wrote:
I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.

As an aside, how many commercial vehicles do you have to own before
the State and/or Feds consider you a Motor Carrier (it does not need
to be the primary purpose of your business for you to fall under that
designation)? What legal resposibilities up to and including Homeland
Security do you need to follow once they decide that is one of your
hats?

Keep an eye on that stuff or it will bite you.
--Glenn Lyford

One. Especially if the vehicle requires a CDL to drive it. (both of the
latest vehicles Iggy has posted fall into that area.)

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

10095.invalid wrote:
I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.

As an aside, how many commercial vehicles do you have to own before
the State and/or Feds consider you a Motor Carrier (it does not need
to be the primary purpose of your business for you to fall under that
designation)? What legal resposibilities up to and including Homeland
Security do you need to follow once they decide that is one of your
hats?

Keep an eye on that stuff or it will bite you.
--Glenn Lyford

One. Especially if the vehicle requires a CDL to drive it. (both of the
latest vehicles Iggy has posted fall into that area.)

It'll depend on what he does with them as well...there's a difference
between private motor carrier and for-hire as well as exempt (I don't
know all the loopholes for exempt, farm is one and schoolbus is another;
whether there's an escape clause iggy can get into is worth looking for
altho I kinda' doubt it). But, he may have to worry about interstate if
he is selling over eBay and shipping stuff hauled even if
auctions/purchases are all within local--the end destination can be the
gotcha'.

Fortunately, the farm catches us so haven't worried about the details
much here but as noted iggy needs to be cautious doesn't inadvertently
get caught in the painful parts...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
... It'll depend on what he does with them as well...there's a difference
between private motor carrier and for-hire as well as exempt (I don't know
all the loopholes for exempt, farm is one and schoolbus is another;
whether there's an escape clause iggy can get into is worth looking for
altho I kinda' doubt it).

What if he buys a Bobcat and calls himself a contractor?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/17/2012 11:12 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message ...
... It'll depend on what he does with them as well...there's a difference
between private motor carrier and for-hire as well as exempt (I don't know
all the loopholes for exempt, farm is one and schoolbus is another;
whether there's an escape clause iggy can get into is worth looking for
altho I kinda' doubt it).

What if he buys a Bobcat and calls himself a contractor?

Don't think that would make any helpful difference. That's in the
category of a private motor carrier but wouldn't relieve him of the
actual situation of hauling goods for resale which is where is potential
real gotcha' might be concerning interstate rules coming into play that
are more onerous to comply with as far as recordkeeping, etc., etc.,
etc., ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"dpb" wrote in message
... It'll depend on what he does with them as well...there's a
difference between private motor carrier and for-hire as well as exempt
(I don't know all the loopholes for exempt, farm is one and schoolbus is
another; whether there's an escape clause iggy can get into is worth
looking for altho I kinda' doubt it).

What if he buys a Bobcat and calls himself a contractor?

jsw

Since igy is a merchant and those trucks are for sale at the right price
he is a motor vehicle dealer right ? Those trucks are just inventory.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
... It'll depend on what he does with them as well...there's a
difference between private motor carrier and for-hire as well as exempt
(I don't know all the loopholes for exempt, farm is one and schoolbus is
another; whether there's an escape clause iggy can get into is worth
looking for altho I kinda' doubt it).

What if he buys a Bobcat and calls himself a contractor?

jsw

Since igy is a merchant and those trucks are for sale at the right price
he is a motor vehicle dealer right ? Those trucks are just inventory.

If that is the case, then it's a whole new batch of regulatory and
licensing headaches...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/17/2012 5:26 PM, azotic wrote:

Since igy is a merchant and those trucks are for sale at the right price
he is a motor vehicle dealer right ? Those trucks are just inventory.

Not necessarily...again, a lot depends on the _exact_ circumstances.

It's not clear about this vehicle; he titled the tractor of earlier
discussion so it clearly isn't only inventory.

Where simply buying/reselling general equipment turns the line is a
question I don't know the precise answer to even locally; what more in
IL. It's the reason I and many others have and continue to caution iggy
to get some help on the business/legal side of this as he grows it
before he does get his knickers in a wringer inadvertently when
something trips him up and raises all the questions at once't...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10095.invalid wrote:
I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.

As an aside, how many commercial vehicles do you have to own before
the State and/or Feds consider you a Motor Carrier (it does not need
to be the primary purpose of your business for you to fall under that
designation)? What legal resposibilities up to and including Homeland
Security do you need to follow once they decide that is one of your
hats?

Keep an eye on that stuff or it will bite you.
--Glenn Lyford

One. Especially if the vehicle requires a CDL to drive it. (both of the
latest vehicles Iggy has posted fall into that area.)

Actually, I can register the dump truck to not require a CDL. I will
sell it for sure, because I do not need it. I will wait until April,
though, because this is when everyone needs dump trucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10095.invalid wrote:
[...]

I do not see how I can have a problem. I never provide any
transportation services. I never provide any services at all,
actually. I only transport my own stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
... It'll depend on what he does with them as well...there's a
difference between private motor carrier and for-hire as well as exempt
(I don't know all the loopholes for exempt, farm is one and schoolbus is
another; whether there's an escape clause iggy can get into is worth
looking for altho I kinda' doubt it).

What if he buys a Bobcat and calls himself a contractor?

jsw

Since igy is a merchant and those trucks are for sale at the right price
he is a motor vehicle dealer right ? Those trucks are just inventory.

I can do up to 5 of them per year without a dealer license. For more,
I will need to get a used car dealer license, which is actually
something that I am looking into.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-18, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2012 5:26 PM, azotic wrote:

Since igy is a merchant and those trucks are for sale at the right price
he is a motor vehicle dealer right ? Those trucks are just inventory.

Not necessarily...again, a lot depends on the _exact_ circumstances.

It's not clear about this vehicle; he titled the tractor of earlier
discussion so it clearly isn't only inventory.

Where simply buying/reselling general equipment turns the line is a
question I don't know the precise answer to even locally; what more in
IL. It's the reason I and many others have and continue to caution iggy
to get some help on the business/legal side of this as he grows it
before he does get his knickers in a wringer inadvertently when
something trips him up and raises all the questions at once't...

--

As far as I understand, I can resell up to 5 vehicles per year without
needing a car dealer license. Same applies to my wife.

After that, I would need a license. Considering that vehicles are sold
at liquidation auctions and by companies that I buy from, I am now
looking into how to get a used car dealer license. It is a paperwork
hassle, and there is a bunch of regulations regarding my hours, car
lot etc. They seem to be directed against shade tree car dealers and
favor large dealers. But, at least now, I do have a big parking lot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/18/2012 10:47 AM, Ignoramus15653 wrote:

I do not see how I can have a problem. I never provide any
transportation services. I never provide any services at all,
actually. I only transport my own stuff.

Well, that's the thing...that's "not for hire" but if you haul gear that
you resell, and that is interstate via eBay, say, you _can_ be
considered as engaged in interstate commerce and subject to all those
rules about how you operate the tractor, for example.

Again, it will depend markedly on the _exact_ circumstances but don't
think you are necessarily exempt for the above reasons from many of the
same reporting requirements, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

On 2/18/2012 10:47 AM, Ignoramus15653 wrote:

I do not see how I can have a problem. I never provide any
transportation services. I never provide any services at all,
actually. I only transport my own stuff.

Well, that's the thing...that's "not for hire" but if you haul gear that
you resell, and that is interstate via eBay, say, you _can_ be
considered as engaged in interstate commerce and subject to all those
rules about how you operate the tractor, for example.

Again, it will depend markedly on the _exact_ circumstances but don't
think you are necessarily exempt for the above reasons from many of the
same reporting requirements, etc.

--

I think it would fall under the "Private carrier" category if he is
transporting his own products, which I believe is a bit different from
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Pete, I bought replacements online, I will post an update.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/18/2012 12:39 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I think it would fall under the "Private carrier" category if he is
transporting his own products, which I believe is a bit different from
the "Not for hire" category.

Actually, they're the same. "Private carrier" is defined as a carrier
who is not a "for-hire carrier.

The sticky wicket gets to be when/if he's buying and transporting goods
to be sold that may go out of state--assuming he is/does via eBay, say.

DOT has threatened to step in even on our farm exempt hauling that would
be a real pita since we're right on the KS-OK border and many farm both
sides as well as in TX, NM, and CO all in one operation since it is so
close to all here. So far managed to fend them off...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10095.invalid wrote:
I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.
As an aside, how many commercial vehicles do you have to own before
the State and/or Feds consider you a Motor Carrier (it does not need
to be the primary purpose of your business for you to fall under that
designation)? What legal resposibilities up to and including Homeland
Security do you need to follow once they decide that is one of your
hats?

Keep an eye on that stuff or it will bite you.
--Glenn Lyford

One. Especially if the vehicle requires a CDL to drive it. (both of the
latest vehicles Iggy has posted fall into that area.)

Actually, I can register the dump truck to not require a CDL. I will
sell it for sure, because I do not need it. I will wait until April,
though, because this is when everyone needs dump trucks.

CDL requirement is NOT based on the registration, it is based on the
factory GVW / CGVW and intended use of the vehicle.

If the data plate shows a GVW or a CGVW over CDL requirements you had
better have a CDL when you drive it. The only way around that is if you
fall under one of the CDL exemptions (Farm Plates, RV use, Fire Vehicle
(in some states) This catches a LOT of people because they assume that
the registration is the document that the DOT will go by. They don't,
they go by the ID plate on the vehicle.

--
Steve W.

Old Chevy Question Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 4 July 31st 10 07:20 PM
1996 Chevy ABS update: stryped[_3_] Metalworking 1 May 29th 10 05:45 AM
Weight chevy 350 mohavv Metalworking 1 May 19th 08 01:36 PM
Chevy drain plug David Courtney Metalworking 0 April 6th 08 05:00 PM
1971 Chevy Nova David A. Webb Metalworking 1 May 6th 05 03:57 AM