Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chevy drain plug

I can't find the original thread, but I happened to be changing the oil
in my Silverado pick-up yesterday and I remembered there was some discussion
about whether the drain plugs were actually magnetic or just looked like
they should be magnetic (lol).
There was no "fuzz" on it when I removed it, but it stuck nicely to the
frame of the truck... powerful enough to hold it's own weight, at least.
The magnet is actually a separate insert that spins freely on the end of the
plug, swaged in, I guess.
It also has a nice rubber o-ring type seal in a recess so you can't
squash it by over-tightening the plug... it really seems like a good design.
This is my second Silverado pick-up and they both have this plug, so I
assume it's the stock plug.
There's probably only one person that cares, if the OP is even around
any more... but while I had it out, I took a picture of it:
http://forums.pstuning.com/index.php...gentry&id=1424

Drain plug removal Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 26 March 1st 08 03:06 PM
drain plug soldering? Vass[_2_] UK diy 3 October 1st 07 06:54 PM
Captive Plug Inside Shower Drain Abe M. Home Repair 0 August 27th 05 07:39 AM
1971 Chevy Nova David A. Webb Metalworking 1 May 6th 05 03:57 AM
drain plug impaler Home Repair 2 October 2nd 04 08:57 PM