Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EPA nuttiness to insanity was Visit to a scrap yard

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch
regular glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
Lead crystal should not be cleaned in a dishwasher as the corrosive
effect
of dishwasher detergent is high on such types of glass-that is, it will
quickly go 'cloudy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher

Paul K. Dickman

I've seen KOH in boiling ethanol etch Pyrex cloudy in a few minutes.

That's pretty severe, but ordinary dishwashing isn't nearly that
extreme. We use the lead crystal wine glasses two or three times a week
so those glasses have been washed at least a hundred times over the last
year, for a few years, and they do not appear to be etched. I'm sure
they will eventually dull, but it won't be fast. And, I'll surely
break them by accident long before.

Joe Gwinn

How do you know they're lead crystal, any indication what brand are
they.

They are Riedel, and were marked as containing 32% lead.

A good indication of lead crystal is it appears grey when looking
through a thicker section in much the same way window/float glass
appears green.

I have not tried that, but will. I don't recall any green color in the
base, where the glass is thickest.

When tapped, they do have a low tone.

The stuff certainly isn't used much any more due to the
safety concerns and in art glass I've been told its use is non existent
in the US and in UK/Europe is becoming much less common. A couple of
blowers I know use it as they do a lot of restoration work and cold
workers prefer it as its much softer and easier to work.

Not much used? Hardly. Many tons of lead crystal is sold every year.

http://www.mieleglasscare.com/intern...nglish/sites/g
lasserien.html

http://www.shopzilla.com/wine-glasse...stal+lead+wine
+glasses/313/products

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r...ollection?ID=1
48803&cm_mmc=Google_Feed_AU-_-6-_-75-_-MP675

Well, that's enough links. Lots of lead crystal is sold.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Visit to a scrap yard - Now Tin for lead casting

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:20:16 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 1/15/2012 5:01 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:18:59 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NETGeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

Gunner raises his hand

Gunner Asch

What's a good source of scrap Tin? How do you dissolve it into Lead?

Thats a very very good question. Scrap Tin is harder than hell to find.
It does melt into lead at about 800F or there abouts. You have to heat
it hot, melt it in, then drop the temperature back before the antimony
burns out.

Gunner

Why don't you just throw a piece of 50/50 solder in the pot?

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch
regular glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
[...]

That is good, IIRC in Europe it can only be called lead crystal with 24%
PbO and above. IIRC a friend uses around 30% lead crystal for what she
blows in her studio.

A good indication of lead crystal is it appears grey when looking
through a thicker section in much the same way window/float glass
appears green.

I have not tried that, but will. I don't recall any green color in the
base, where the glass is thickest.

The green colour is in float glass and is is due to iron impurities and
you see it through thicker sections. Lead crystal has a grey cast to it
when viewed through thicker sections although sometimes not obvious
unless compared against a clear item.

When tapped, they do have a low tone.

Yes lead crystal is supposed to ring better than more common soda lime
glass.

The stuff certainly isn't used much any more due to the
safety concerns and in art glass I've been told its use is non existent
in the US and in UK/Europe is becoming much less common. A couple of
blowers I know use it as they do a lot of restoration work and cold
workers prefer it as its much softer and easier to work.

Not much used? Hardly. Many tons of lead crystal is sold every year.

http://www.mieleglasscare.com/intern...nglish/sites/g
lasserien.html

http://www.shopzilla.com/wine-glasse...stal+lead+wine
+glasses/313/products

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r...ollection?ID=1
48803&cm_mmc=Google_Feed_AU-_-6-_-75-_-MP675

Well, that's enough links. Lots of lead crystal is sold.

Joe Gwinn

Lots of lead crystal sold but is any of it made in the US. I've been to
the Dartington factory and they don't make as much there anymore due to
cheaper competition from abroad, also health and safety with the lead.
Some years back they installed an enormous extraction system to pull off
the fumes from the furnace and collect the lead oxide.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

I have five lbs of pewter in forms of commemorative plates.

It is for sale, price is $20

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing
detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch
regular glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
[...]

Yes. That seems to be the sweet spot for lead glass.

A good indication of lead crystal is it appears grey when looking
through a thicker section in much the same way window/float glass
appears green.

I have not tried that, but will. I don't recall any green color in the
base, where the glass is thickest.

The green colour is in float glass and is is due to iron impurities and
you see it through thicker sections. Lead crystal has a grey cast to it
when viewed through thicker sections although sometimes not obvious
unless compared against a clear item.

When tapped, they do have a low tone.

Yes lead crystal is supposed to ring better than more common soda lime
glass.

They do! For a given thickness, lead glass will have the lower tone.
The resonant frequency is the square root of the mass density and the
mechanical stiffness. Lead glass is very strong, so the sections can be
thinner, which confuses things a bit.

The stuff certainly isn't used much any more due to the
safety concerns and in art glass I've been told its use is non existent
in the US and in UK/Europe is becoming much less common. A couple of
blowers I know use it as they do a lot of restoration work and cold
workers prefer it as its much softer and easier to work.

Not much used? Hardly. Many tons of lead crystal are sold every year.

http://www.mieleglasscare.com/intern...nglish/sites/g
lasserien.html

http://www.shopzilla.com/wine-glasse...stal+lead+wine
+glasses/313/products

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r...ollection?ID=1
48803&cm_mmc=Google_Feed_AU-_-6-_-75-_-MP675

Well, that's enough links. Lots of lead crystal is sold.

Joe Gwinn

Lots of lead crystal sold, but is any of it made in the US? I've been to
the Dartington factory and they don't make as much there anymore due to
cheaper competition from abroad, also health and safety with the lead.

I don't know how much is made in the US, although lots of people buy
Reidel, which is made in Germany. It's certainly the case that people
have gotten crazy about the dangers of lead. And mercury. And life.

Some years back they installed an enormous extraction system to pull off
the fumes from the furnace and collect the lead oxide.

This makes sense. While the glass isn't such a danger, the process to
make it may require containment.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons on Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:37:07 -0500 typed
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:10:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:17:20 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Old industrial sites NEED to be remediated - and there are different
classes of remediation - and limits on what those brown-sites can be
used for

Okay, this I can understand. The need to clean up pollution. The
question I still have is - why would an industrial site in an
industrial zone, be required to be restored to being as pristine as a
day care playground?

As far as I can tell you introduced the "clean as a daycare
playground" cleanup standard. Did I miss something that supports that
as a real requirement? It's certainly not the case with cleanups in
this area that I'm familiar with.

I probably over spoke, but that does seem to be - if not a stated
goal, an unspoken one. (Yes, IOW: I have no cites for such a
position, other than Rhetorical) But, there does seem to be a enough
documented nuttiness by the EPA, that one could believe they do insist
on such a goal for industrial remediation.

I recall a case where the EPA was after the mining company for
their failure to file a remediation plan a for patch polluted by
spilled fuel on their property. The reason no plan had been filed was
that the fuel spill had been in the open pit mine, and the patch which
had been so polluted was now fifty feet in the air, the "soil" having
been dug up and run through the smelters.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

The problem with Pewter is that one never knows what's in it and at what
ratios.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Very true. And the same with the new tape on wheel weights

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Jeez! You guys are so tight you squeak.

It's expensive if you're buying it at the Home Depot.

It's a thousand to one shot that any scrap yard you go to would have pure
tin.
But its even money that every one has a pail of half used solder bars lying
around.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 2:22*pm, "Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

Jeez! You guys are so tight you squeak.

It's expensive if you're buying it at the Home Depot.

It's a thousand to one shot that any scrap yard you go to would have pure
tin.
But its even money that every one has a pail of half used solder bars lying
around.

Paul K. Dickman

You lose both bets. I was at the local scrap yard this morning and
asked about tin and solder. They said they had both, referring to the
tin as " block tin ". i bought the solder they had in a bucket, so
they did have some but do not now. The Tin was a bit expensive so
they still have it.

Dan

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:
[...]

In my area I could put BIG money on them not having any. And winning
every time.
Most of the electronic/cable/assembly outfits are gone around here. The
scrappers that I deal with
might get a bar from someone who did home casting or similar but that's
about it.

I cheated and picked up a couple cases of pure tin rods from a place
that was going out of business. They did in house
wire fabrication and made their own alloys of solder to fit the specs of
the customer. Some of those were WEIRD though. One outfit wanted cable
ends soldered with high tin content then wash plated with gold. Made the
connections pretty but the gold would just about wipe off !

--
Steve W.

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

The extra Tin isn't really necessary, it helps with fill-out in the
molds and adds a bit to hardness. That's why I cast, I AM cheap! I go
through about 600 lbs/year or more. If I didn't cast, my costs would
about $1,200/yr for parts. The wheel weights I use cost me brushes,
cookies, donuts, pizzas, electricity and time. My cast parts are better
than store-bought.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Any Zinc will ruin the whole pot. I bet it's getting more difficult to
get lead WWs, especially in CA.

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Ayup. A bit of tin really helps filling the moulds and giving good
sharp driving bands. But only a bit. No more than 2-3%

Btw..do you heat treat your bullets? Cast and dump from the mould right
into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Size within 48 hours and they will
increase Brinell nicely.

http://www.lasc.us/heattreat.htm

With pistol bullets, I rarely find much need to heat treat, unless being
fired from something like a Thompson Contender..which frankly is nothing
more than a short barreled rifle with most calibers besides "handgun"
flavors.

But with rifles...there is where heat treating comes into another world.
And for those with Marlin Microgroove barrels...heat treating allows one
to shoot cast bullets far above the 1600 fps "standard" for the
MicroGroove rifling and lead bullets.

Ive chrono'd 30-30 lead rounds at the same speeds as jacketed rounds
with no leading noted whatsoever. And the 44 Mag and 45-70 can be pushed
very fast in the Marlins when the bullets are heat treated.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Ayup. A friend came over once..and filled my gas fired rough melting pot
(150 lbs) with wheel weights and managed to stir in some zinc tape
weights..probably no more than 6 oz or so. Ruined the lead. Which was
not noted until 150 lbs of bullets had been cast from the ingots it
produced. A reallllllll ****er. I had to dump the bullets..melted them
back down to ingots and sold them to a guy who does fishing weights
which didnt come close to covering my time or replacement lead. And it
was a pain in the ass trying to figure out why the bullets were not
filling the moulds over a couple weeks..and then noticing zinc oxide
showing up on the bullets themselves and asking my partner about ":Where
the **** did the zinc come from????""" and he pointing out the "funny
shaped wheel weights" he had mixed into the batch. Grrrr. Took a couple
hours getting all the crap out of the pot too! before I could reuse it
for bullet casting.

As for wheel weights...ayup..they are getting very hard to find here. I
hit some of my favorite tire shops last year and scarfed up a few
thousand pounds, but thats not 5 yrs worth of shooting. Ive put the call
out to a buddy of mine in Aridzona for wheel weights and he has been
picking some up here and there. I try to bulk cast ingots about every
3-5 yrs simply because its a pain in the ass to do, and then cast into
bullets as needed.

The last 3 yrs..Ive not shot a hell of a lot..the recovery from the
heart surgery left my chest a bit tender...but its all healed up (the
3rd anniversery of my heart surgery is today btw) and I can now lay out
and shoot the fun stuff without any pain or issues.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Btw...here is an EXCELLENT book on bullet casting by a real expert at
it.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Enjoy!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2012 7:54 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I don't cast for rifles and yes, I DO water-drop. I get about 18 BHN
and use Alox. Without water-droping, you get about 11 BHN from WWs.
I've removed the carbide rings on my Lee Factory Crimp Dies, they were
reducing my diameters by 1-2 thousandths. Since I did that, I get NO
leading. The FCDs are great for jacketed but not good for lead. I
don't like to seat and crimp at the same die so the FCDs work great for
just crimping.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2012 9:28 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Btw...here is an EXCELLENT book on bullet casting by a real expert at
it.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Enjoy!

VERY NICE! Thanks! I just got distracted for a while skimming the book
and learned a few good things.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Why is it that TV and Computers are consider hazardous waste
because of the lead in the glass? Is that going to magically leech
out of the glass?

The method the EPA used to calculate the amount of lead in a CRT is
faulty.

It is the old bit about 80/20 - eighty percent of the project
takes up eighty percent of the budget, the other twenty percent takes
up the remaining eighty percent.

Umm, 80%+80%=160%

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:42:31 -0500, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Why is it that TV and Computers are consider hazardous waste
because of the lead in the glass? Is that going to magically leech
out of the glass?

The method the EPA used to calculate the amount of lead in a CRT is
faulty.

It is the old bit about 80/20 - eighty percent of the project
takes up eighty percent of the budget, the other twenty percent takes
up the remaining eighty percent.

Umm, 80%+80%=160%

What's your point? The average software project ends up at something
like 190% of budget.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

I worked on the hardware side, where coming in on time and on budget
was the norm....

That's 'cuz we software guys had to wait until there was something to
actually work on (or build complete emulators including timing and
builtin bug^h^h^features of the underlying fabbed hdwe) and generally
had to make up in software patches for all the oversights or troubles in
the delivered hardware...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

I worked on the hardware side, where coming in on time and on budget
was the norm....

That's 'cuz we software guys had to wait until there was something to
actually work on (or build complete emulators including timing and
builtin bug^h^h^features of the underlying fabbed hdwe) and generally
had to make up in software patches for all the oversights or troubles in
the delivered hardware...

Not where I worked. They were given several complete hardware
prototypes, along with all the specifications. One programmer really
screwed us up when he insisted that 9600,8,N,1 was more than capable of
handling the data to a spectrum display in an $80,000 telemetry system.
There were multiple high speed parallel I/O busses that were unused and
would never exit the chassis, but they decided to add an eighth serial
port to the PC104 controller. they also screwed up the process to load
the firmware to the various subsystems. It took two days to load one
system with serial cables or JTAG loaders that failed quite often. they
kept putting off finishing the install package, until upper management
mentioned removing all the personal crap from their offices, and holding
their pay until the application was ready. A week later, it was ready.
Plug a 1.44 drive into the FDC port, and network cable. Insert disk.
Power up the equipment and it autoran the format program for the 40 MB
M-Disk solid state drive. Install Win CE. Download the application
software for that model, and run the installer. It took about 10
minutes, or twice as long as it took to do the paperwork. Threats of
unemployment can stop all the stupid games & delays.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
...It took about 10
minutes, or twice as long as it took to do the paperwork. Threats of
unemployment can stop all the stupid games & delays.

Sometimes.

I built a custom data acquisition system for a Mac and asked the company
"Apple Certified Programmer" to estimate the time to write a driver for it.
He came back with three months. Not long after the company laid off the lazy
bum so I had to write the driver myself. I did it with four lines of
assembly code generated by LabVIEW.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
...It took about 10
minutes, or twice as long as it took to do the paperwork. Threats of
unemployment can stop all the stupid games & delays.

Sometimes.

I built a custom data acquisition system for a Mac and asked the company
"Apple Certified Programmer" to estimate the time to write a driver for it.
He came back with three months. Not long after the company laid off the lazy
bum so I had to write the driver myself. I did it with four lines of
assembly code generated by LabVIEW.

I had a very flaky automated test set on of the engineers dumped on
manufacturing without finishing the software. He 'was too busy to fix
it' and said 'Fix the damn thing yourself'. There were no schematics,
and it was written in Quickbasic, so I had to find and fix all his
mistakes. Then I added real error messages that pointed to possible
causes for the failures. Since it was fully automatic, I added two
sound effects: If the board failed, it sounded like a fog horn. If it
passed, it sounded like an early video game. The head of test wasn't
amused, but I could fill out most of the paperwork for each board while
it ran. That more than doubled production throughput.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote

...Since it was fully automatic, I added two
sound effects: If the board failed, it sounded like a fog horn. If it
passed, it sounded like an early video game. The head of test wasn't
amused, but I could fill out most of the paperwork for each board while
it ran. That more than doubled production throughput.

I found QB code to play various themes of imminent doom from operas etc, but
no one else caught on. They didn't get my "Matrix" random character
waterfall screensaver either.

The good one (not completely my idea) was based on an analog noise level
sensor that detected people approaching and flashed REPENT! THE END IS NEAR!

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote

...Since it was fully automatic, I added two
sound effects: If the board failed, it sounded like a fog horn. If it
passed, it sounded like an early video game. The head of test wasn't
amused, but I could fill out most of the paperwork for each board while
it ran. That more than doubled production throughput.

I found QB code to play various themes of imminent doom from operas etc, but
no one else caught on. They didn't get my "Matrix" random character
waterfall screensaver either.

I wrote these, using the few sound commands to change the frequency,
and at what speed. I used the 'Ctl G' at first, but it would get lost
in the noise of other test equipment. It only took a few minutes to get
the first sound, and the arcade sound was a set of fast changing tones.
I did it all in one 15 minute break period.

The good one (not completely my idea) was based on an analog noise level
sensor that detected people approaching and flashed REPENT! THE END IS NEAR!

You could have alternated that with things like 'Duck and cover!'
'Head for the hills!' 'Judgment day is nigh, sinner!' or even something
completely silly like 'Eat at Joe's!'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote
Jim Wilkins wrote:
The good one (not completely my idea) was based on an analog noise level
sensor that detected people approaching and flashed REPENT! THE END IS
NEAR!

You could have alternated that with things like 'Duck and cover!'
'Head for the hills!' 'Judgment day is nigh, sinner!' or even something
completely silly like 'Eat at Joe's!'

The nastiest thing I put on screen was nothing; a thousand(?) form feeds
instant messaged to people tying up the VAX with "Empire". Their VT100
screen stayed blank for about ten minutes as the form feeds scrolled
through. They had changed the name of the program to hide it but not the
size. In extreme cases I ran a calculation of pi by Leibniz' tedious formula
until everyone gave up.

I don't know if he invented the ideas, but one programmer there wrote The
Grinch That Eats Programs in which a PacMan sprite wandered around your
screen leaving a trail of blank spaces, and a Tired Monitor routine that
made characters slide to the bottom of your screen. This was in the early
1980's.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I was working with oddball systems back then. Like a pair of MC6800
based Metrodata computers with six NTSC video channels, each. One had
32K of RAM, while the other had 48K, and a pair of 8" floppy drives to
store the CATV system's program guide. That was made by SMS (Scientific
Memory Systems), and failed quite often. The boss was a cheap SOB who
refused to replace floppies till they died. That destroyed the heads in
the Shugart 801 drives on a regular basis. Once, we lost both disks at
the same time. There was no operating system on the disks, but the
configuration for all six channels were lost. I had to go through eight
full boxes of failed floppies to find one line here and there to
reconstruct the files. I also learned a lot of hidden and illegal
commands in the process. Like how to open the AP newswire and post
messages on what was supposed to be a RO function. I resisted the
temptation, but it wasn't easy.

I made him buy two boxes of new floppies, and copied the
configuration file to every disk, and made damn sure no disk was used
more than a month, until I quit that company. Those 801 drives were
configured to run constantly, so the media wore out a lot faster than it
should have.

The last I heard, they scrapped the two systems and replaced them
with 12 Commodore 64s and a floppy drive. The company owned EPG
(Electronic Program Guide), so corporate made them switch when the
Metrodata systems died one last time. I wish they had replaced them
while I was there. It was no fun repairing circuit boards with no
schematics, from a company that was out of business.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I put a screen saver on a friend's computer:

C DRIVE FAILURE

which had him going, for a few seconds.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
The good one (not completely my idea) was based on an analog noise level
sensor that detected people approaching and flashed REPENT! THE END IS
NEAR!

You could have alternated that with things like 'Duck and cover!'
'Head for the hills!' 'Judgment day is nigh, sinner!' or even something
completely silly like 'Eat at Joe's!'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now, THAT sounds fun. I bet Scott Adams would like that kind of thing.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

I don't know if he invented the ideas, but one programmer there wrote The
Grinch That Eats Programs in which a PacMan sprite wandered around your
screen leaving a trail of blank spaces, and a Tired Monitor routine that
made characters slide to the bottom of your screen. This was in the early
1980's.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:46:13 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I put a screen saver on a friend's computer:

C DRIVE FAILURE

which had him going, for a few seconds.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
The good one (not completely my idea) was based on an analog noise level
sensor that detected people approaching and flashed REPENT! THE END IS
NEAR!

You could have alternated that with things like 'Duck and cover!'
'Head for the hills!' 'Judgment day is nigh, sinner!' or even something
completely silly like 'Eat at Joe's!'

I used to have a piece of lint stuck on the point of the cursor, kept
telling people that I needed to get my monitor open to clean it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

? wrote:

?I put a screen saver on a friend's computer:
?
?C DRIVE FAILURE
?
?which had him going, for a few seconds.
?
?Christopher A. Young
?Learn more about Jesus
?
www.lds.org
??? The good one (not completely my idea) was based on an analog noise level
??? sensor that detected people approaching and flashed REPENT! THE END IS
??? NEAR!
??
??
?? You could have alternated that with things like 'Duck and cover!'
?? 'Head for the hills!' 'Judgment day is nigh, sinner!' or even something
?? completely silly like 'Eat at Joe's!'
?
?
I used to have a piece of lint stuck on the point of the cursor, kept
telling people that I needed to get my monitor open to clean it.

I like to use Tweek UI to mess with their minds. People really
freaked when they got the 'Red Screen Of Death'. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

I like to use Tweek UI to mess with their minds. People really
freaked when they got the 'Red Screen Of Death'. ;-)

I've written something similar into QBasic programs for when some joker
presses Shift in response to Hit Any Key. It redefines Black's RGB value to
rapidly changing random shades of red.

Their key-pressed status is at PEEK(&H0417) and PEEK(&H0418).

Just saw a suggestion that Python is a good replacement for QB. Comments?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

I like to use Tweek UI to mess with their minds. People really
freaked when they got the 'Red Screen Of Death'. ;-)

I've written something similar into QBasic programs for when some joker
presses Shift in response to Hit Any Key. It redefines Black's RGB value to
rapidly changing random shades of red.

Their key-pressed status is at PEEK(&H0417) and PEEK(&H0418).

Just saw a suggestion that Python is a good replacement for QB. Comments?

I've never worked with Python, or most of the newer languages. There
is Freebasic that some people like aas a replacement, and others push
Powerbasic. I've been 100% disabled for about six years now, and can't
afford expensive new toys these days.

BTW, do you ever use the TI MSP430 series? they are selling their
Valueline launchpad development system for $4.30, including two 18 pin
processors. Free software, USB inteface and some other goodies:

http://e2e.ti.com/group/msp430launchpad/w/default.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" on Sun, 5 Feb
2012 19:47:16 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Now, THAT sounds fun. I bet Scott Adams would like that kind of thing.

There are a large list of stories of the weird stuff people have
done.

One I recalled was the British institution which had the program
file "Bogroll". You ran it, and it told you that the output was at
the desk. Several hundred pages from a line printer, with toilet
paper size squares "stamped out".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

I don't know if he invented the ideas, but one programmer there wrote The
Grinch That Eats Programs in which a PacMan sprite wandered around your
screen leaving a trail of blank spaces, and a Tired Monitor routine that
made characters slide to the bottom of your screen. This was in the early
1980's.

jsw

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

One I recalled was the British institution which had the program
file "Bogroll". You ran it, and it told you that the output was at
the desk. Several hundred pages from a line printer, with toilet
paper size squares "stamped out".

That sounds like typical British bathroom humor.