Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Visit to a scrap yard - Now Tin for lead casting

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
On 1/15/2012 6:09 PM, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"Gunner wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:20:16 -0500, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

On 1/15/2012 5:01 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:18:59 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NETGeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:
Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of
tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't
ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL
Gunner raises his hand

Gunner Asch
What's a good source of scrap Tin? How do you dissolve it into Lead?
Thats a very very good question. Scrap Tin is harder than hell to find.
It does melt into lead at about 800F or there abouts. You have to heat
it hot, melt it in, then drop the temperature back before the antimony
burns out.

Gunner
Why don't you just throw a piece of 50/50 solder in the pot?

Paul K. Dickman

Too expensive.

Jeez! You guys are so tight you squeak.

It's expensive if you're buying it at the Home Depot.

It's a thousand to one shot that any scrap yard you go to would have pure
tin.
But its even money that every one has a pail of half used solder bars lying
around.

Paul K. Dickman

In my area I could put BIG money on them not having any. And winning
every time.
Most of the electronic/cable/assembly outfits are gone around here. The
scrappers that I deal with
might get a bar from someone who did home casting or similar but that's
about it.

I cheated and picked up a couple cases of pure tin rods from a place
that was going out of business. They did in house
wire fabrication and made their own alloys of solder to fit the specs of
the customer. Some of those were WEIRD though. One outfit wanted cable
ends soldered with high tin content then wash plated with gold. Made the
connections pretty but the gold would just about wipe off !

--
Steve W.