Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Visit to a scrap yard

I was at a scrap yard and I was very impressed.

First, they did not try to cheat me. I weighed some things prior to
going there and their weights were about same. Second, they had a very
menacing crushing excavator like monster made by Terex, that worked
like mad. Third, they were actually quite nice and gentle with me,
worked hard not to break my truck and trailer.

I scrapped 2.5 tons of steel and some misc stuff. Say, one machine
that I bought for $50 and could not sell on ebay for 299 (an antique
1928 paper cutter), fetched $300 in cash. Now I understand a little
better how those guys bid on machines at auctions and scrap them. It
is a very nice business with the rght capability. It would be a lot
easier to just drive that machine to a scrap yard.

I will be their regular client. The place is called Cozzi O Brien
Recycling.