Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Visit to a scrap yard

I was at a scrap yard and I was very impressed.

First, they did not try to cheat me. I weighed some things prior to
going there and their weights were about same. Second, they had a very
menacing crushing excavator like monster made by Terex, that worked
like mad. Third, they were actually quite nice and gentle with me,
worked hard not to break my truck and trailer.

I scrapped 2.5 tons of steel and some misc stuff. Say, one machine
that I bought for $50 and could not sell on ebay for 299 (an antique
1928 paper cutter), fetched $300 in cash. Now I understand a little
better how those guys bid on machines at auctions and scrap them. It
is a very nice business with the rght capability. It would be a lot
easier to just drive that machine to a scrap yard.

I will be their regular client. The place is called Cozzi O Brien
Recycling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13479" wrote in message
I was at a scrap yard and I was very impressed.

First, they did not try to cheat me. I weighed some things prior to
going there and their weights were about same. Second, they had a very
menacing crushing excavator like monster made by Terex, that worked
like mad. Third, they were actually quite nice and gentle with me,
worked hard not to break my truck and trailer.

I scrapped 2.5 tons of steel and some misc stuff. Say, one machine
that I bought for $50 and could not sell on ebay for 299 (an antique
1928 paper cutter), fetched $300 in cash. Now I understand a little
better how those guys bid on machines at auctions and scrap them. It
is a very nice business with the rght capability. It would be a lot
easier to just drive that machine to a scrap yard.

I will be their regular client. The place is called Cozzi O Brien
Recycling.

My cousin did scrapping for a couple years until he recently got a job in
his field again. He said he did ok working 3 days a week but he worked 5 or
6 when he could because it can be pretty brutal work in the winter time
where he lives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 5:23 PM, Ignoramus13479 wrote:
I was at a scrap yard and I was very impressed.

First, they did not try to cheat me. I weighed some things prior to
going there and their weights were about same. Second, they had a very
menacing crushing excavator like monster made by Terex, that worked
like mad. Third, they were actually quite nice and gentle with me,
worked hard not to break my truck and trailer.

I scrapped 2.5 tons of steel and some misc stuff. Say, one machine
that I bought for $50 and could not sell on ebay for 299 (an antique
1928 paper cutter), fetched $300 in cash. Now I understand a little
better how those guys bid on machines at auctions and scrap them. It
is a very nice business with the rght capability. It would be a lot
easier to just drive that machine to a scrap yard.

I will be their regular client. The place is called Cozzi O Brien
Recycling.

Did they tell you about removing all the liquids in whatever you bring?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Paul Drahn wrote:
[...]

They did not seem to care, there probably was oil in that generator
engine that I scrapped (after taking off all valuable, small parts
like injection pump).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 7:45 PM, Ignoramus13479 wrote:
On 2012-01-13, Paul wrote:
[...]

Each state must be different in that area. Here in Oregon, the scrappers
cannot accept any scrap material with oil or other prohibited liquids. I
was at Schnitzer Steel in Bend a few years ago and saw them turn away
several people bringing vehicles that had not been drained. Not their
rule, but the state EPA doesn't want the stuff spilled in the ground and
run off into the ground water.

When we lived in Washington, I took and old International truck engine
to a scrapper and had to certify that I had removed all oil, etc.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Paul wrote:
[...]

No one asked any questions, the engine was put on a scale, then tossed
in a pile to be ripped apart by the Terex Fuchs MHL 350 scrap tosser.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Paul wrote:
[...]

This is why real estate that used to be a scrapyard (and nearby sites)
can often be an environmental nightmare.. oil and other fluids
released get into the soil (and migrate by air or underground)-- and
it can cost millions of dollars to remediate.

http://www.metalbulletin.com/Article...cost-238M.html
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...nup-Settlement

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Paul wrote:
[...]

Buying a former scrap yard or a scrapping operation (people who buy
stuff and scrap it) is definitely not on my priority list! Very scary stuff.

I have seen places where oil was puddling in giant, cavernous
buildings. They were muddy inside, but the liquid in mud was used oil,
not water.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've taken scrap to several places, in Rochester, NY area. I'll never go
back to Kreigers, because they have several times short weighted me at the
scales. Even when I'm standing next to the guy and watching the scale, they
still short me.

Other yards are more honest. One time I had a load of BX electical cable.
Phoned. One yard quoted me 5 cents a pound for scrap, another yard quoted I
think 80 cents a pound for the copper content. Good idea to call around.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

My cousin did scrapping for a couple years until he recently got a job in
his field again. He said he did ok working 3 days a week but he worked 5 or
6 when he could because it can be pretty brutal work in the winter time
where he lives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
I've taken scrap to several places, in Rochester, NY area. I'll never go
back to Kreigers, because they have several times short weighted me at the
scales. Even when I'm standing next to the guy and watching the scale,
they
still short me.

LOL. I filled a propane bottle for my BBQ once at a local business. They
started with the meter on 0.2. Filled the hose before opening the bottle so
it jumped to .4 before opening my valve. Filled it to 4.7, and then wrote
down 5 gallons on the ticket. When I told the manager why I wouldn't be
coming back he just said, "Ok." LOL. I haven't been back. Not even for a
soda.

.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

My cousin did scrapping for a couple years until he recently got a job in
his field again. He said he did ok working 3 days a week but he worked 5
or
6 when he could because it can be pretty brutal work in the winter time
where he lives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13479 on Fri, 13 Jan
2012 04:28:11 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

This is why real estate that used to be a scrapyard (and nearby sites)
can often be an environmental nightmare.. oil and other fluids
released get into the soil (and migrate by air or underground)-- and
it can cost millions of dollars to remediate.

http://www.metalbulletin.com/Article...cost-238M.html
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...nup-Settlement

Buying a former scrap yard or a scrapping operation (people who buy
stuff and scrap it) is definitely not on my priority list! Very scary stuff.

I have seen places where oil was puddling in giant, cavernous
buildings. They were muddy inside, but the liquid in mud was used oil,
not water.

What I want to know is: if I am buying a scrap yard or other
industrial site, with the intent of keeping it as an industrial, why
is it so necessary that I clean it up as if it would be used as the
playground of a daycare?

The EPA (State and fed) is run by people who have no idea of what
they are actually accomplishing.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:18:29 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Because the country is full of sites that were once industrial, that
left polluted land and water behind them, where the industry is gone
and are now fit for nothing -- as well as spreading their pollution
through ground water and even the air.

I'm from NJ. Ask me for examples.

The EPA (State and fed) is run by people who have no idea of what
they are actually accomplishing.

And you comment about things of which you have no idea of what you're
talking about.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:25:21
wrote:

[...]

And, those sites are all now being used as playgrounds for
daycares?????

I'm from NJ. Ask me for examples.

So the assumption is that this industrial park will become a
playground for a daycare, and before a new industry can start
operations, the area must be made safe for toddlers to crawl about on?

The EPA (State and fed) is run by people who have no idea of what
they are actually accomplishing.

And you comment about things of which you have no idea of what you're
talking about.

So maybe you can explain why an industrial site must be a pristine
as a daycare playground.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

We have a condemned Oakite site in my town, which it cost us a couple
of million bucks to make safe for a park, where kids now play. Is
there something else you have in mind?

Are we supposed to let the polluters determine what we can do with the
land after they leave?

I'm from NJ. Ask me for examples.

So the assumption is that this industrial park will become a
playground for a daycare, and before a new industry can start
operations, the area must be made safe for toddlers to crawl about on?

What new industry? They're gone, and that division went bankrupt. They
just left us the mess.

Another example that still grates my ass was a plant north of
Princeton where they did developmental research for plastic processing
(for manufacturing golf balls, of all things). They went bankrupt and
left. After they left, the town found PCBs in the well water and
traced it to the plant site.

So all of our wells were condemned and we had to pay $10,000 per house
to have city water installed. Out of our pockets.

Shall I go on?

The EPA (State and fed) is run by people who have no idea of what
they are actually accomplishing.

And you comment about things of which you have no idea of what you're
talking about.

So maybe you can explain why an industrial site must be a pristine
as a daycare playground.
--
pyotr

Because they have no right to destroy the land for any future use.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 8:23 PM, Ignoramus13479 wrote:
I was at a scrap yard and I was very impressed.

First, they did not try to cheat me. I weighed some things prior to
going there and their weights were about same. Second, they had a very
menacing crushing excavator like monster made by Terex, that worked
like mad. Third, they were actually quite nice and gentle with me,
worked hard not to break my truck and trailer.

I scrapped 2.5 tons of steel and some misc stuff. Say, one machine
that I bought for $50 and could not sell on ebay for 299 (an antique
1928 paper cutter), fetched $300 in cash. Now I understand a little
better how those guys bid on machines at auctions and scrap them. It
is a very nice business with the rght capability. It would be a lot
easier to just drive that machine to a scrap yard.

I will be their regular client. The place is called Cozzi O Brien
Recycling.

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hope you told all your neighbors?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

LOL. I filled a propane bottle for my BBQ once at a local business. They
started with the meter on 0.2. Filled the hose before opening the bottle so
it jumped to .4 before opening my valve. Filled it to 4.7, and then wrote
down 5 gallons on the ticket. When I told the manager why I wouldn't be
coming back he just said, "Ok." LOL. I haven't been back. Not even for a
soda.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't laugh. The old Orkin pest control place in Victor, NY is now a day
care.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

What I want to know is: if I am buying a scrap yard or other
industrial site, with the intent of keeping it as an industrial, why
is it so necessary that I clean it up as if it would be used as the
playground of a daycare?

Because the country is full of sites that were once industrial, that
left polluted land and water behind them, where the industry is gone
and are now fit for nothing -- as well as spreading their pollution
through ground water and even the air.

And, those sites are all now being used as playgrounds for
daycares?????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Even the industrial sites are not ALLOWED to get that poluted today
because the chemicals get into groundwater, with the plumes spreading
for MILES, damaging wells and streams.

Old industrial sites NEED to be remediated - and there are different
classes of remediation - and limits on what those brown-sites can be
used for
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

We had a factory in my own town, that polluted groundwater with some
nasty chemicals. Many people's wells are now unusable. It is now a
superfund site and the factory was liquidated.

I'm from NJ. Ask me for examples.

The EPA (State and fed) is run by people who have no idea of what
they are actually accomplishing.

And you comment about things of which you have no idea of what you're
talking about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
[...]

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/13/2012 9:49 PM, Ignoramus16789 wrote:
On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:
[...]

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EPA nuttiness to insanity was Visit to a scrap yard

on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:17:20 -0500 typed in
wrote:
[...]

Okay, this I can understand. The need to clean up pollution. The
question I still have is - why would an industrial site in an
industrial zone, be required to be restored to being as pristine as a
day care playground?

Why is it that TV and Computers are consider hazardous waste
because of the lead in the glass? Is that going to magically leech
out of the glass?

It is the old bit about 80/20 - eighty percent of the project
takes up eighty percent of the budget, the other twenty percent takes
up the remaining eighty percent. We now have a technology which can
detect "contaminates" at the parts per trillion level - so that is
made the standard, regardless of feasibility or hazard.

Meanwhile the EPA is fining refinery companies for not blending in
enough ethanol made from wood chips and the like. Never mind that in
2011 there was no production of such bio-fuel, their regulations
mandated that refiners would blend 6.6 million gallons of it into
gasoline and diesel in 2011. For 2012 they face a quota of 8.65
million gallons. All hail the Emperors new Bio-fuel!

"The Country is in the very best of hands"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:10:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:17:20 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Old industrial sites NEED to be remediated - and there are different
classes of remediation - and limits on what those brown-sites can be
used for

Okay, this I can understand. The need to clean up pollution. The
question I still have is - why would an industrial site in an
industrial zone, be required to be restored to being as pristine as a
day care playground?

As far as I can tell you introduced the "clean as a daycare
playground" cleanup standard. Did I miss something that supports that
as a real requirement? It's certainly not the case with cleanups in
this area that I'm familiar with.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Okay, this I can understand. The need to clean up pollution. The
question I still have is - why would an industrial site in an
industrial zone, be required to be restored to being as pristine as a
day care playground?

Because it might be. You don't know WHAT that might be in 5 or 10
years.

Why is it that TV and Computers are consider hazardous waste
because of the lead in the glass? Is that going to magically leech
out of the glass?

AFIK, it ISN'T the lead in the glass, its the phosphors, and the lead
in the solder.

jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jk" wrote in message
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Okay, this I can understand. The need to clean up pollution. The
question I still have is - why would an industrial site in an
industrial zone, be required to be restored to being as pristine as a
day care playground?

Because it might be. You don't know WHAT that might be in 5 or 10
years.

Why is it that TV and Computers are consider hazardous waste
because of the lead in the glass? Is that going to magically leech
out of the glass?

AFIK, it ISN'T the lead in the glass, its the phosphors, and the lead
in the solder.

jk

It is the lead in the glass as well.
A 15" computer monitor has about a 20lb tube with 1.65 lbs of lead in it.
I has another couple of pounds in the other components.
Leaded glass dissolves fairly easily in a caustic environment. That is why
you don't run the good crystal through the dishwasher.

http://www.premierinc.com/quality-sa...ad_in_crts.pdf

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php....html?gid=4865

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

"jk" wrote in message
pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Oh, but I do run lead crystal through the dishwasher. It works just
fine. Lead glass is very strong and stable. And I break far fewer
glasses than if I hand wash them, which I did for many years.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

"jk" wrote in message
pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch regular
glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
Lead crystal should not be cleaned in a dishwasher as the corrosive effect
of dishwasher detergent is high on such types of glass-that is, it will
quickly go 'cloudy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch
regular glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
Lead crystal should not be cleaned in a dishwasher as the corrosive effect
of dishwasher detergent is high on such types of glass-that is, it will
quickly go 'cloudy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher

Paul K. Dickman

I've seen KOH in boiling ethanol etch Pyrex cloudy in a few minutes.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Visit to a scrap yard - Now Tin for lead casting

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:34:46 -0800, jk wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Okay, this I can understand. The need to clean up pollution. The
question I still have is - why would an industrial site in an
industrial zone, be required to be restored to being as pristine as a
day care playground?

Because it might be. You don't know WHAT that might be in 5 or 10
years.

Why is it that TV and Computers are consider hazardous waste
because of the lead in the glass? Is that going to magically leech
out of the glass?

AFIK, it ISN'T the lead in the glass, its the phosphors, and the lead
in the solder.

jk

The lead does leach out of the glass in an acid environment. Acid rain
is plenty acidic enough.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

This guy is not doing piddly stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch
regular glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
Lead crystal should not be cleaned in a dishwasher as the corrosive effect
of dishwasher detergent is high on such types of glass-that is, it will
quickly go 'cloudy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher

Paul K. Dickman

I've seen KOH in boiling ethanol etch Pyrex cloudy in a few minutes.

That's pretty severe, but ordinary dishwashing isn't nearly that
extreme. We use the lead crystal wine glasses two or three times a week
so those glasses have been washed at least a hundred times over the last
year, for a few years, and they do not appear to be etched. I'm sure
they will eventually dull, but it won't be fast. And, I'll surely
break them by accident long before.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:34:41 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch
regular glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
Lead crystal should not be cleaned in a dishwasher as the corrosive effect
of dishwasher detergent is high on such types of glass-that is, it will
quickly go 'cloudy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher

Paul K. Dickman

I've seen KOH in boiling ethanol etch Pyrex cloudy in a few minutes.

That's pretty severe, but ordinary dishwashing isn't nearly that
extreme. We use the lead crystal wine glasses two or three times a week
so those glasses have been washed at least a hundred times over the last
year, for a few years, and they do not appear to be etched. I'm sure
they will eventually dull, but it won't be fast. And, I'll surely
break them by accident long before.

Joe Gwinn

One advantage of agin that I've noticed is that, as my eyes
deteriorate, the glasses coming out of the dishwasher look a lot
better than they used to. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

I still have access to linotype metal in ingots - I can ship 60 pounds
in a flat rate box - this seems to be a favored alloy. contact me via
the email on my web page (www.wbnoble.com) if you are interested

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

I still have access to linotype metal in ingots - I can ship 60 pounds
in a flat rate box - this seems to be a favored alloy. contact me via
the email on my web page (www.wbnoble.com) if you are interested

Do you still have access to the Linotype separator alloy? It's richer
in Tin.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

Gunner raises his hand

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
It is not breakage. The strongly alkaline automatic dishwashing detergent
will etch the surface and they will loose their shine. It will etch
regular glass to, just not as fast.

From wikipedia
Lead crystal should not be cleaned in a dishwasher as the corrosive effect
of dishwasher detergent is high on such types of glass-that is, it will
quickly go 'cloudy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher

Paul K. Dickman

I've seen KOH in boiling ethanol etch Pyrex cloudy in a few minutes.

That's pretty severe, but ordinary dishwashing isn't nearly that
extreme. We use the lead crystal wine glasses two or three times a week
so those glasses have been washed at least a hundred times over the last
year, for a few years, and they do not appear to be etched. I'm sure
they will eventually dull, but it won't be fast. And, I'll surely
break them by accident long before.

Joe Gwinn

How do you know they're lead crystal, any indication what brand are
they. A good indication of lead crystal is it appears grey when looking
through a thicker section in much the same way window/float glass
appears green. The stuff certainly isn't used much any more due to the
safety concerns and in art glass I've been told its use is non existent
in the US and in UK/Europe is becoming much less common. A couple of
blowers I know use it as they do a lot of restoration work and cold
workers prefer it as its much softer and easier to work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

Gunner raises his hand

Gunner Asch

What's a good source of scrap Tin? How do you dissolve it into Lead?

On 2012-01-13, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

Next time you are there ask if they have any Tin scrap for sale.

If you seriously want to buy several tons or hundreds of lbs of tin,
contact me. I know someone who scraps #1 tin ingots. I may work out a
deal or something and make a couple of bucks.

I just want enough to raise the percentage of Tin in my lead
wheel-weight alloy to make it flow better. My scrap guy doesn't ever
get Tin, it's hard to find around here. Need some wire brushes?

I could use some tin too, but not hundreds of pounds.
Iggy / Tom - put together a joint purchase?
How much do we have to buy to get the guy to sell?
Any other lead casters here?

RWL

Gunner raises his hand

Gunner Asch

What's a good source of scrap Tin? How do you dissolve it into Lead?

Thats a very very good question. Scrap Tin is harder than hell to find.
It does melt into lead at about 800F or there abouts. You have to heat
it hot, melt it in, then drop the temperature back before the antimony
burns out.

Gunner

Gunner Asch