Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Visit to a scrap yard

Ed Huntress on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:25:21
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:18:29 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ignoramus13479 on Fri, 13 Jan
2012 04:28:11 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

This is why real estate that used to be a scrapyard (and nearby sites)
can often be an environmental nightmare.. oil and other fluids
released get into the soil (and migrate by air or underground)-- and
it can cost millions of dollars to remediate.

http://www.metalbulletin.com/Article...cost-238M.html
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...nup-Settlement

Buying a former scrap yard or a scrapping operation (people who buy
stuff and scrap it) is definitely not on my priority list! Very scary stuff.

I have seen places where oil was puddling in giant, cavernous
buildings. They were muddy inside, but the liquid in mud was used oil,
not water.

What I want to know is: if I am buying a scrap yard or other
industrial site, with the intent of keeping it as an industrial, why
is it so necessary that I clean it up as if it would be used as the
playground of a daycare?

Because the country is full of sites that were once industrial, that
left polluted land and water behind them, where the industry is gone
and are now fit for nothing -- as well as spreading their pollution
through ground water and even the air.

And, those sites are all now being used as playgrounds for
daycares?????

I'm from NJ. Ask me for examples.

So the assumption is that this industrial park will become a
playground for a daycare, and before a new industry can start
operations, the area must be made safe for toddlers to crawl about on?

The EPA (State and fed) is run by people who have no idea of what
they are actually accomplishing.

And you comment about things of which you have no idea of what you're
talking about.

So maybe you can explain why an industrial site must be a pristine
as a daycare playground.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the