Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Visit to a scrap yard - Now Tin for lead casting

wrote:

In my area I could put BIG money on them not having any. And winning
every time.
Most of the electronic/cable/assembly outfits are gone around here. The
scrappers that I deal with
might get a bar from someone who did home casting or similar but that's
about it.

I cheated and picked up a couple cases of pure tin rods from a place
that was going out of business. They did in house
wire fabrication and made their own alloys of solder to fit the specs of
the customer. Some of those were WEIRD though. One outfit wanted cable
ends soldered with high tin content then wash plated with gold. Made the
connections pretty but the gold would just about wipe off !

Pretty much along the line of the coins from National Collectors Mint
"non monetary" commemorative coins with their forteen milligrams of
pure gold - my signature carries more weight!

I asked about it once and was told they were "Audiophile grade" cables.
My response was "Oh for the ones who actually believe that the gold will
make that 20 dollar needle sound like a live performance"
I guess they were sort of like the current outfits like Monster Cable
with the "oxygen free PURE copper wire"

--
Steve W.