Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EPA nuttiness to insanity was Visit to a scrap yard

Ned Simmons on Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:37:07 -0500 typed
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:10:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:17:20 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Old industrial sites NEED to be remediated - and there are different
classes of remediation - and limits on what those brown-sites can be
used for

Okay, this I can understand. The need to clean up pollution. The
question I still have is - why would an industrial site in an
industrial zone, be required to be restored to being as pristine as a
day care playground?

As far as I can tell you introduced the "clean as a daycare
playground" cleanup standard. Did I miss something that supports that
as a real requirement? It's certainly not the case with cleanups in
this area that I'm familiar with.

I probably over spoke, but that does seem to be - if not a stated
goal, an unspoken one. (Yes, IOW: I have no cites for such a
position, other than Rhetorical) But, there does seem to be a enough
documented nuttiness by the EPA, that one could believe they do insist
on such a goal for industrial remediation.

I recall a case where the EPA was after the mining company for
their failure to file a remediation plan a for patch polluted by
spilled fuel on their property. The reason no plan had been filed was
that the fuel spill had been in the open pit mine, and the patch which
had been so polluted was now fifty feet in the air, the "soil" having
been dug up and run through the smelters.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the