Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 10 cheapest BEST cities to live.... and to run a mfr'g bidniss??

Existential Angst wrote:

http://money.msn.com/saving-money/10...5877&GT1=33026

The first listing, Sandusky, Ohio, gives the articles sources.

Michigan, Ohio, Indiana seem to dominate -- haven't checked the geography,
but mebbe all close to mfr'g towns? Elkhart, Indiana f'sure.
But Cumberland, Md-W. Va (not dat far from me) was a bit of a surprise --
altho anything with W. Va. could explain "cheap".

Have you checked into Missouri? They are generally small-business
friendly, relatively low taxes, not a lot of excess regulation,
pretty cheap property values (really gotten very cheap lately, but it is not
likely to stay that way).

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:28:34 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:

http://money.msn.com/saving-money/10...5877&GT1=33026

The first listing, Sandusky, Ohio, gives the articles sources.

Michigan, Ohio, Indiana seem to dominate -- haven't checked the geography,
but mebbe all close to mfr'g towns? Elkhart, Indiana f'sure.
But Cumberland, Md-W. Va (not dat far from me) was a bit of a surprise --
altho anything with W. Va. could explain "cheap".

Have you checked into Missouri? They are generally small-business
friendly, relatively low taxes, not a lot of excess regulation,
pretty cheap property values (really gotten very cheap lately, but it is not
likely to stay that way).

Move to Misery? Mebbe not!
Missouriably hot in the summer.
Missouriably cold in the winter.
Missouriably humid alla time.
It's in Tornado Alley. http://goo.gl/Ifthi
Watch out for the lead. http://goo.gl/BpcYi
There are one or two rednecks there in them thar Ozarks.

I grew up downstairs, in Arkansas, as a kid. I have no use for the
South or the Midwest or whatever they want to call those states.
BTDT, got the sweat, said goodbye.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Move to Misery? Mebbe not!
Missouriably hot in the summer.
Missouriably cold in the winter.
Missouriably humid alla time.
It's in Tornado Alley. http://goo.gl/Ifthi
Watch out for the lead. http://goo.gl/BpcYi
There are one or two rednecks there in them thar Ozarks.

I grew up downstairs, in Arkansas, as a kid. I have no use for the
South or the Midwest or whatever they want to call those states.
BTDT, got the sweat, said goodbye.

I feel about the same. I grew up in far eastern KS and hated the
summer climate. And mud all winter.

Moved to MN for only one year. Then I met a lady, and I'm still here
35 years later. Neither of us like the long winter,so we are part of
the snowbird population (to the FL keys) . Now we got the best of
both.

It is good that everybody has a different favorite spot, Otherwise
we'd all go to one place and ruin it.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 07:35:34 -0500, Karl Townsend

Move to Misery? Mebbe not!
Missouriably hot in the summer.
Missouriably cold in the winter.
Missouriably humid alla time.
It's in Tornado Alley. http://goo.gl/Ifthi
Watch out for the lead. http://goo.gl/BpcYi
There are one or two rednecks there in them thar Ozarks.

I grew up downstairs, in Arkansas, as a kid. I have no use for the
South or the Midwest or whatever they want to call those states.
BTDT, got the sweat, said goodbye.

I feel about the same. I grew up in far eastern KS and hated the
summer climate. And mud all winter.

Moved to MN for only one year. Then I met a lady, and I'm still here
35 years later. Neither of us like the long winter,so we are part of
the snowbird population (to the FL keys) . Now we got the best of
both.

But how do you handle the heat and/or humidity of spring/summer/fall?

It is good that everybody has a different favorite spot, Otherwise
we'd all go to one place and ruin it.

Verily. That's what happened to my last state, CA.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2011 06:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Move to Misery? Mebbe not!
Missouriably hot in the summer.
Missouriably cold in the winter.
Missouriably humid alla time.
It's in Tornado Alley. http://goo.gl/Ifthi
Watch out for the lead. http://goo.gl/BpcYi

Well, tornadoes are really small phenomena, except maybe
for Xenia Ohio. We've had a few, they really didn't do
ALL that much damage, compared to a hurricane, for instance.

The only lead is in Herculaneum, where they either built the biggest
smelter in the US in the center of town, or the town grew up around
the smelter. That IS a messy situation, the whole town is covered
in lead dust. But, it is only that town that is affected.

Hot? Yeah, it does get warm here, but nothing like south Texas
in August, which I've been sent to a few times.

Cold? Not really, we barely even have snow here any more! 30 years
ago we used to have a fair bit of snow in the winter.

Humid? Well, yes it does get a bit humid, but I haven't really seen
it all that different across the middle of the US. Yes, it is drier
in Arizona, but the summers there are not so good.

So, it suits me pretty well here! And, I've been running a
manufacturing business in my house for over 25 years, at two
locations. My current location requires a business license, but it
only costs me $25 or $35 a year, depending on gross sales the previous
year. Oh yeah, I had to renew my fictitious name registration with the
state a few years ago, it is not the awesome amount of something like
$4 every decade!

Seems pretty business-friendly to me. (Maybe I should keep my mouth
shut about this , lest every home business type move in and wreck the
advantage.)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2011 07:35 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Moved to MN for only one year. Then I met a lady, and I'm still here
35 years later. Neither of us like the long winter,so we are part of
the snowbird population (to the FL keys) . Now we got the best of
both.

Well, with a big machine shop in the basement, the snowbird thing won't
work for me.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

On 10/14/2011 06:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

? Move to Misery? Mebbe not!
? Missouriably hot in the summer.
? Missouriably cold in the winter.
? Missouriably humid alla time.
? It's in Tornado Alley. http://goo.gl/Ifthi
? Watch out for the lead. http://goo.gl/BpcYi

Well, tornadoes are really small phenomena, except maybe
for Xenia Ohio.

Which Xenia tornado? I was stationed in Alaska when one hit in '73
or '74, and the news story stated that a Large steel making town in SW
Ohio was badly damaged. That would have been Middletown, where I had
relatives and phone service was out for almost a week before I could
contact them. They told me that a heat treating plant in Xenia was badly
damaged, not a steel mill. #@$%^&*()_ STUPID MSM!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?
? Moved to MN for only one year. Then I met a lady, and I'm still here
? 35 years later. Neither of us like the long winter,so we are part of
? the snowbird population (to the FL keys) . Now we got the best of
? both.
Well, with a big machine shop in the basement, the snowbird thing won't
work for me.

Think outside the box. You need a WINTER machine shop. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:26:40 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

On 10/14/2011 06:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Move to Misery? Mebbe not!
Missouriably hot in the summer.
Missouriably cold in the winter.
Missouriably humid alla time.
It's in Tornado Alley. http://goo.gl/Ifthi
Watch out for the lead. http://goo.gl/BpcYi

Well, tornadoes are really small phenomena, except maybe
for Xenia Ohio. We've had a few, they really didn't do
ALL that much damage, compared to a hurricane, for instance.

The only lead is in Herculaneum, where they either built the biggest
smelter in the US in the center of town, or the town grew up around
the smelter. That IS a messy situation, the whole town is covered
in lead dust. But, it is only that town that is affected.

But there were mines everywhere and tailings downstream of everywhere
those were. We have a few of those here, too. Copper, lead, gold.

Hot? Yeah, it does get warm here, but nothing like south Texas
in August, which I've been sent to a few times.

Yabbut, in that humidity...

Cold? Not really, we barely even have snow here any more! 30 years
ago we used to have a fair bit of snow in the winter.

Yabbut, in that humidity...

Humid? Well, yes it does get a bit humid, but I haven't really seen
it all that different across the middle of the US.

Being "as bad as somewhere else" doesn't make it good.

Yes, it is drier
in Arizona, but the summers there are not so good.

Yeah, it's a nice, dry heat in MiseryZona.

So, it suits me pretty well here! And, I've been running a
manufacturing business in my house for over 25 years, at two
locations. My current location requires a business license, but it
only costs me $25 or $35 a year, depending on gross sales the previous
year. Oh yeah, I had to renew my fictitious name registration with the
state a few years ago, it is not the awesome amount of something like
$4 every decade!

Now THAT sounds more like it.

Seems pretty business-friendly to me. (Maybe I should keep my mouth
shut about this , lest every home business type move in and wreck the
advantage.)

You're right! Look what happened to California.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

On 10/14/2011 07:35 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
?
? Moved to MN for only one year. Then I met a lady, and I'm still here
? 35 years later. Neither of us like the long winter,so we are part of
? the snowbird population (to the FL keys) . Now we got the best of
? both.
Well, with a big machine shop in the basement, the snowbird thing won't
work for me.

Think outside the box. You need a WINTER machine shop. ;-)

Uhhhhh..... Keeping what I have in good running condition is enough
of a job. DOUBLING the number of machines, and then leaving one
set idle for six months at a time is a recipe for DISASTER!

Also, I'd need two sets of every document, two sets of all parts,
etc. I shudder at the thought!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

On 10/14/2011 07:35 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
?
? Moved to MN for only one year. Then I met a lady, and I'm still here
? 35 years later. Neither of us like the long winter,so we are part of
? the snowbird population (to the FL keys) . Now we got the best of
? both.
Well, with a big machine shop in the basement, the snowbird thing won't
work for me.

Think outside the box. You need a WINTER machine shop. ;-)

Uhhhhh..... Keeping what I have in good running condition is enough
of a job. DOUBLING the number of machines, and then leaving one
set idle for six months at a time is a recipe for DISASTER!

Also, I'd need two sets of every document, two sets of all parts,
etc. I shudder at the thought!

Well, if you're not up to the task! ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, if you're not up to the task! ;-)

Nope, I guess I'll have to face the snows for a number more
years, I guess.....

But, business has been picking up the last couple months, which is very
nice!

Jon