Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to move?? Bidniss 101, Geography 101.....

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I've fallen in love with the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I might even
move there myself. My son is in Lexington, which is like a miniature
Princeton (7,000 population) circa 1955. However, it's an isolated spot in
that regard. I'd more likely go to the northern end of the valley for
proximity to DC.

I've seen New Jersey too many times. Virginia would be good for you. Texas, unless near
Austin, might be too much for you.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I've fallen in love with the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I might even
move there myself. My son is in Lexington, which is like a miniature
Princeton (7,000 population) circa 1955. However, it's an isolated spot in
that regard. I'd more likely go to the northern end of the valley for
proximity to DC.

I've seen New Jersey too many times. Virginia would be good for you.
Texas, unless near
Austin, might be too much for you.

Wes

Thanks, I've been to Texas (and I lived in Michigan for eight years). I know
what I don't like. g

My old college roommate, who grew up in Lansing, moved to Tyler, Texas. He
agrees. I don't like metalflake on my bass boat and I don't collect old
Cadillacs. It's not the place for me.

The hardest thing for me would be leaving the Jersey shore and the NYC
museums and other cultural things. But I'm sure I'd adjust. I did fine in
Michigan for those years.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I've fallen in love with the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I might even
move there myself. My son is in Lexington, which is like a miniature
Princeton (7,000 population) circa 1955. However, it's an isolated spot in
that regard. I'd more likely go to the northern end of the valley for
proximity to DC.

I've seen New Jersey too many times. Virginia would be good for you. Texas, unless near
Austin, might be too much for you.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Just don't complain about the heat, damit.

We don't even mention it until it's over 100 degrees for 30 days.
Then we can start braggin'!

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The hardest thing for me would be leaving the Jersey shore and the NYC
museums and other cultural things. But I'm sure I'd adjust. I did fine in
Michigan for those years.

Michigan is a wonderful state, at least up north, move to Virginia, close to DC, explore
the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian. A man could spend a lot of time there. I
sure enjoyed my one visit.

From the East end of Virginia to NYC is about the same distance I drive to the NAMES show.
You do have a frugal car don't you? I hear things like Amtrack even exist in that part of
the country.

A bit of time on the train, writing an article for publication, using wifi if amtrack has
it for research and you are set. Might pay for the trip.

I know, I live in Michigan, a failed state so I don't have a lot of credibilty, too much
family lives here so I'm stuck but if your family is less extended, Virginia might be a
great move for you.

It didn't take too many summers in NJ to tell me that that state was one to leave.

Best thoughts,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:46:33 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I've seen New Jersey too many times. Virginia would be good for you. Texas, unless near
Austin, might be too much for you.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Just don't complain about the heat, damit.

We don't even mention it until it's over 100 degrees for 30 days.
Then we can start braggin'!

I don't mind heat, long as it is a dry heat. It's that muggy damp
that killed me. "Its only 85 degrees. Humidity about 85% too." Kind
of weather to make you think it would be a good Idea to find a place
in the shade, and the breeze to set a spell. Say, till around sunset.

Richard

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Sorry! My previous should have been more detailed.

I meant 100 degrees - that's all day long - midnight to midnight.
It warms up better during the day, but if it drops to 2 digits, you have
to start all over again...

The sea breezes off the gulf can make it as far as San Antonio in the evenings.
That often runs the summer humidity up to unity.

I don't know what causes it to be so humid around Dallas.
Probably just yankee sweating?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The hardest thing for me would be leaving the Jersey shore and the NYC
museums and other cultural things. But I'm sure I'd adjust. I did fine in
Michigan for those years.

Michigan is a wonderful state, at least up north, move to Virginia, close
to DC, explore
the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian. A man could spend a lot of
time there. I
sure enjoyed my one visit.

From the East end of Virginia to NYC is about the same distance I drive to
the NAMES show.
You do have a frugal car don't you? I hear things like Amtrack even exist
in that part of
the country.

A bit of time on the train, writing an article for publication, using wifi
if amtrack has
it for research and you are set. Might pay for the trip.

I know, I live in Michigan, a failed state so I don't have a lot of
credibilty, too much
family lives here so I'm stuck but if your family is less extended,
Virginia might be a
great move for you.

It didn't take too many summers in NJ to tell me that that state was one
to leave.

Hey, we develop a special hassle-resistant coating after 30 years or so.
It's a nice place if you know where to go -- a lot like Michigan in that
regard. I spent a summer living in the UP, in the back of my old Bell Tel
truck, chasing trout. That's a nice place to be. However, civilization
looked good after I crossed the bridge and came home. g

The beaches and ocean here are our equivalent.

Best thoughts,

Wes

Thanks, Wes. I'm not moving in a hurry, but my reasons to stay here are
declining.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:34:13 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Just don't complain about the heat, damit.

We don't even mention it until it's over 100 degrees for 30 days.
Then we can start braggin'!

I don't mind heat, long as it is a dry heat. It's that muggy damp
that killed me. "Its only 85 degrees. Humidity about 85% too." Kind
of weather to make you think it would be a good Idea to find a place
in the shade, and the breeze to set a spell. Say, till around sunset.

Where I live, in the California desert, would be nice..except for the
****ing taxes thingy.

We have about 8 months of 110F at 20%

The rest of the time,..we have fog

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just don't complain about the heat, damit.

We don't even mention it until it's over 100 degrees for 30 days.
Then we can start braggin'!

I don't mind heat, long as it is a dry heat. It's that muggy damp
that killed me. "Its only 85 degrees. Humidity about 85% too." Kind
of weather to make you think it would be a good Idea to find a place
in the shade, and the breeze to set a spell. Say, till around sunset.

Where I live, in the California desert, would be nice..

Baloney. Your area has too few jobs, double the national unemployment
rate, and too many families like yours - a house full of adults who
don't want to work. That's the opposite of culture or nice.

except for the
****ing taxes thingy.

LOL Yes, property taxes in CA can be high. But that doesn't apply to
lousy neighborhoods like yours, where the taxes are a mere $400 a
year.
http://www.recorder.co.kern.ca.us/pr...type=atn&teno=
A clear reflection of the value of the property and the amenities.

We have about 8 months of 110F at 20%

You're so full of crap.
http://www.propertymaps.com/location...ommunity_demos
Average July high temp is 97.

The rest of the time,..we have fog

Annual rainfall 6", about half of what we get in my part of
"aridzona". Your town is a cheap place for deadbeats to live, and
fortunately for your family, California is pretty generous with the
social services. Which brings us to the primary reason that you'll
never move - because re-upping for bennies in some other state would
take away from your Usenet time.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Thu, 02 Apr 2009 22:03:10 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

I had the interesting experience of flying to East Texas in July,
into the middle of a heat wave (The Texans were saying "It's a bit on
the warm side, today.") - from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Now Buenos
Areas in July is not a bad place. Start of their winter, but not a
bad place, not cold like I was used to in Germany. (Ach! In zee Old
Country, ve had Vinter!!). But cold enough to make wool pants and
sweaters valuable. That was Hot. Hot and Muggy. Enervating.
Debilitating. Did I mention Hot?
From there we drove, in a fifteen year old Ford with only the WD50
air conditioning, to El Paso and on to Tucson. Nice drive.

The sea breezes off the gulf can make it as far as San Antonio in the evenings.
That often runs the summer humidity up to unity.

Gaaah.

I've friends here in Seattle who moved up from Beaumont, years
ago. They'd go back now and then to visit, usually during Christmas
time. She'd always ask her husband "Why don't we move back, it's not
so bad?" Then she took a road trip of her own one summer. Got back
to Beaumont for a month towards the end of July. Now she remembered
why they'd left, and why they really didn't want to go back.

I don't know what causes it to be so humid around Dallas.
Probably just yankee sweating?

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Hey, we develop a special hassle-resistant coating after 30 years or so.
It's a nice place if you know where to go -- a lot like Michigan in that
regard. I spent a summer living in the UP, in the back of my old Bell Tel
truck, chasing trout. That's a nice place to be. However, civilization
looked good after I crossed the bridge and came home. g

Those trout are still there but the state isn't one to move to unless you don't need to
work.

The beaches and ocean here are our equivalent.

The ocean was the best part of visiting NJ other than some obscure bakery that sold Kaiser
rolls. 6 grocery bags full of fresh out of the oven lovelies, some whipped sweet butter
and many miles to get home. There was more than one reason to leave NJ

Best thoughts,

Wes

Thanks, Wes. I'm not moving in a hurry, but my reasons to stay here are
declining.

It is hard to leave home. Even a hermit of sorts like me likes to stay in familiar
surroundings.

You have kid(s), if enough of them move to the same area, you might move. I have only
family, they are all here. Roots are deep, I doubt we will uproot.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 17:00:00 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[5 quoted lines suppressed]

Those trout are still there but the state isn't one to move to unless you don't need to
work.

Where in Upper Michigan do you live, Wes?