Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 10 cheapest BEST cities to live.... and to run a mfr'g bidniss??

On 10/14/2011 06:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Move to Misery? Mebbe not!
Missouriably hot in the summer.
Missouriably cold in the winter.
Missouriably humid alla time.
It's in Tornado Alley. http://goo.gl/Ifthi
Watch out for the lead. http://goo.gl/BpcYi

Well, tornadoes are really small phenomena, except maybe
for Xenia Ohio. We've had a few, they really didn't do
ALL that much damage, compared to a hurricane, for instance.

The only lead is in Herculaneum, where they either built the biggest
smelter in the US in the center of town, or the town grew up around
the smelter. That IS a messy situation, the whole town is covered
in lead dust. But, it is only that town that is affected.

Hot? Yeah, it does get warm here, but nothing like south Texas
in August, which I've been sent to a few times.

Cold? Not really, we barely even have snow here any more! 30 years
ago we used to have a fair bit of snow in the winter.

Humid? Well, yes it does get a bit humid, but I haven't really seen
it all that different across the middle of the US. Yes, it is drier
in Arizona, but the summers there are not so good.

So, it suits me pretty well here! And, I've been running a
manufacturing business in my house for over 25 years, at two
locations. My current location requires a business license, but it
only costs me $25 or $35 a year, depending on gross sales the previous
year. Oh yeah, I had to renew my fictitious name registration with the
state a few years ago, it is not the awesome amount of something like
$4 every decade!

Seems pretty business-friendly to me. (Maybe I should keep my mouth
shut about this , lest every home business type move in and wreck the
advantage.)

Jon