Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need to buy a 3 jaw adjust true chuck

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:51:42 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Wes

Buck is the name brand. Bison has them too. I happen to know a cheap
skate that just made his own, Not that hard a job.

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

It will take a little digging but plenty of good suppressor plans out
there.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an
adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the
LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the
best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for
Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would
divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Wes

Buck is the name brand. Bison has them too. I happen to know a cheap
skate that just made his own, Not that hard a job.

Personally if I were to buy a new chuck I would just buy one that has
removable top jaws--be careful truing your backplate and it should run
within a thou or so which is fine for most work, that way if you have a need
to be dead nuts you can always put in a set of soft jaws and bore them.

Besides, adjust tru chucks take will vibrate quite a bit unless you have the
chuck body running close to centerline and they take just about as long to
dial in as a 4 jaw which negates much of their supposed advantage anyways.

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

They are legal here where I'm at but I fail to see any legimate purpose for
them especially considering that the attendant permitting fee is ~$300.00...

But since tax revenues on cigarettes is on the decline then might as well
take advantage of gun owners I suppose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-07, Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

I have a 6 inch plain back chuck for sale. Also a 10 inch plain back
chuck for sale.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-07, Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

What spindle mount?

If you are after *new*, look at Bison chucks. Nice quality for
reasonable prices.

If you already have a good 3-jaw chuck with a separate
backplate, it is possible to adapt it to make one with an adjust-tru
style feature.

1) In preparation -- turn a chuck of steel to the OD of the chuck
and backplate, and then bore it to leave perhaps a 1" thick
wall.

2) Remove the chuck from the backplate, and drill and counterbore
the ring from (1) above to accept screws into the back of the
chuck to mount the ring firmly to it. You may want to set up
dowel pins so the ring can't shift relative to the chuck body.

3) Drill and tap the ring to accept screws through the backplate
holes a bit oversized into the ring. If you use the dowel pins
mentioned in (2) above, probably you should drill and tap these
holes all the way through the ring so you can use longer screws
as jackscrews to separate the ring and chuck body in the future
at need.

4) Bore a pocket in the backplate perhaps 1" smaller in diameter
than the ID of the ring.

5) Turn a plug of steel to be a snug fit into the pocket and to
project perhaps 3/4" or so into the ring -- maybe a full 1" if
there is sufficient clearance in the back of the chuck body.
Drill and counterbore it, and drill and tap the backplate for
screws to secure the plug rigidly to the backplate.

6) Drill and tap four radial holes for heavy setscrews at 90
degree intervals around the ring.

7) Grind the ends of the setscrews flat.

8) Assemble the whole thing, with the setscrews loose, and the
screws attaching the backplate to the ring sort of tight, enough
to keep the chuck from slipping down to whatever side is down at
the moment.

9) Chuck up a piece of stock the diameter of what you are going to
work with at the moment.

10) Tap the chuck so it is moderately close, and then lightly adjust
the setscrews to touch the plug of steel.

11) Now, using the setscrews and with a runout indicator, adjust
for minimum runout as you would with a normal adjust-tru style
chuck.

12) Tighten the screws securing the backplate to the ring and
recheck the runout, as it may shift a bit with the tightening.

When you shift to a different diameter workpiece, slack the
backplate screws and go back to (9) above, skipping (10) except
for the first setup. (This is why the dividing line, to
separate the *making* from the *using* part. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-07, Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an
adjustable back
plate? ...

If you are after *new*, look at Bison chucks. Nice quality for
reasonable prices.

If you already have a good 3-jaw chuck with a separate
backplate, it is possible to adapt it to make one with an adjust-tru
style feature.
Good Luck,
DoN.

I'm trying to decide if I really need one of these:
http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=6jaw
to make these:
http://www.agelessengines.com/

Perhals you could modify it to adjust as Don wrote but still go on a
tight-fitting backplate for heavier cuts.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Wes

A couple things come to mind.

The price of Bison chucks has gone way up over the last several years,
and aren't quite the bargain they used to be. I think I paid around
$375 for my 6" Bison 6-jaw; current Enco price is $884.

The lower priced Buck chucks (BVC, I think) are overpriced crap. I
bought one recently that a customer specified for a job and had to
disassemble and refit the jaws. My customer said they do that to most
that come in. Might as well buy a Chinese chuck at half the price. The
cheap Bucks probably *are* Chinese. I do own one small Chinese chuck
mounted on a 5C arbor that came in an auction lot. It's actually not
bad.

I have a couple adjust-true type chucks, but don't recall the last
time I tweaked one. I'll almost always use a 4-jaw instead.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Wes

Just buy a four jaw independent chuck and learn to use it. I use a
ten thousandth dial gage for final adjustment. The last time I used a
three jaw chuck.other than a drill chuck on other than my Unimat 3
was55 years ago in High School shop class.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Just buy a four jaw independent chuck and learn to use it. I use a
ten thousandth dial gage for final adjustment. The last time I used a
three jaw chuck.other than a drill chuck on other than my Unimat 3
was55 years ago in High School shop class.

I'm doing most of my work with an 8" 4 jaw unless it fits my collets. The 4 jaw has
serations in the jaw that makes it hard to use for small things. I wish the jaws were
smooth.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

What spindle mount?

If you are after *new*, look at Bison chucks. Nice quality for
reasonable prices.

L00

After the comments on Buck, I'll look at Bison.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

It will take a little digging but plenty of good suppressor plans out
there.

My gun budget reference was that I was going to *purchase* the suppressor and the tax
stamp. I'm not going to get near making one, I like my freedom way too much.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

They are legal here where I'm at but I fail to see any legimate purpose for
them especially considering that the attendant permitting fee is ~$300.00...

Well if you lived next door to me, the noise from my practice for an hour or more at a
time, would likely get to you eventually.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 04:43:48 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

It will take a little digging but plenty of good suppressor plans out
there.

My gun budget reference was that I was going to *purchase* the suppressor and the tax
stamp. I'm not going to get near making one, I like my freedom way too much.

Never underestimate the quiet power of an empty soda bottle.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 04:38:57 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Just buy a four jaw independent chuck and learn to use it. I use a
ten thousandth dial gage for final adjustment. The last time I used a
three jaw chuck.other than a drill chuck on other than my Unimat 3
was55 years ago in High School shop class.

I'm doing most of my work with an 8" 4 jaw unless it fits my collets. The 4 jaw has
serations in the jaw that makes it hard to use for small things. I wish the jaws were
smooth.

Wes

Greetings Wes,
I have been turning parts for about 35 years. On all sorts of
equipment. I use almost exclusively three jaw chucks that I have
modified to be adjustable. Using good chucks they repeat well and
adjust MUCH faster than a 4 jaw. I know, I know, folks say that when
you learn how to use a 4 jaw properly it's just as fast as an
adjustable chuck. Not for me or anyone I know. For work that has to be
adjusted less than .020" an adjustable chuck is the way to go. And I'd
spend the money getting a good plain back chuck and making it
adjustable rather than spending the exorbitant money they charge for
them. Jest my 2 cents.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/07/2011 05:51 PM, Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I believe Buck has gotten out of the chuck business, or at least the
Adjust-Tru product line.

I got a Phase-II knock-off and am very happy with it.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 04:41:38 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

What spindle mount?

If you are after *new*, look at Bison chucks. Nice quality for
reasonable prices.

L00

After the comments on Buck, I'll look at Bison.

Wes

Call these people and inquire about a good used bison or buck chuck.

http://www.greermachinery.com/

Call..dont email.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

They are legal here where I'm at but I fail to see any legimate purpose
for
them especially considering that the attendant permitting fee is
~$300.00...

Well if you lived next door to me, the noise from my practice for an hour
or more at a
time, would likely get to you eventually.

Aww okay I see now that you meant for noise suppression, not flash...I
haven't seriously looked into the law here yet as it was my son that told me
about their recently legalizing suppressors and so it may be that the design
still must allow muzzle flash to remain visible at night....Or perhaps
not...let's have a look...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...11/1016.SL.pdf

Appears as long as it's within Federal compliance then all is good...

--sadly, I don't have time look into at what what the Fed has to say.

I probably would hardly notice even if you were firing a 50 browning next
door but unless you really had a really good layout on your property you
would likely just do like several other locals and come over here to shoot
instead.

We use disposable earplugs or the Smith & Wesson blue earmuffs which I'm
pretty sure came from either MSC or McMaster of which there are several
pairs in the shop.

One neighbor did complain about noise a few years back though--the Sheriff
stopped by and let me know that he basically told her if she is truly upset
by the sound of gun fire then she should probably move back to the city.....

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
On 09/07/2011 05:51 PM, Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an
adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the
LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the
best deal on a
good chuck.

I believe Buck has gotten out of the chuck business, or at least the
Adjust-Tru product line.

Buck was assimilated by forkardt quite some time ago...

http://www.forkardt.com/products/index.html

I got a Phase-II knock-off and am very happy with it.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Just buy a four jaw independent chuck and learn to use it. I use a
ten thousandth dial gage for final adjustment. The last time I used a
three jaw chuck.other than a drill chuck on other than my Unimat 3
was55 years ago in High School shop class.

I'm doing most of my work with an 8" 4 jaw unless it fits my collets. The 4 jaw has
serations in the jaw that makes it hard to use for small things. I wish the jaws were
smooth.

Wes

Then you may want to compare the Buck and the Bison. There are more
and deeper serrations in my Bison 6" six-jaw than those in my Buck 6"
three-jaw. The Buck is an older forged steel chuck, and hopefully my
criticism of the economy Bucks doesn't apply to the current steel
chucks. And, as I mentioned, the price spread between Buck and Bison
isn't nearly what it used to be.

You might also want to keep an eye on this ebay seller's auctions:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/toolmexonlin....c0.m270.l1311
They show up occasionally in one of my saved searches and seem to have
good prices on Bison chucks that have been returned or were dinged in
shipping.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an
adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the
LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the
best deal on a
good chuck.

[ ... ]

Buck is the name brand. Bison has them too. I happen to know a cheap
skate that just made his own, Not that hard a job.

Personally if I were to buy a new chuck I would just buy one that has
removable top jaws--be careful truing your backplate and it should run
within a thou or so which is fine for most work, that way if you have a need
to be dead nuts you can always put in a set of soft jaws and bore them.

Yes, you can.

Besides, adjust tru chucks take will vibrate quite a bit unless you have the
chuck body running close to centerline and they take just about as long to
dial in as a 4 jaw which negates much of their supposed advantage anyways.

Except for repeated workpieces of the same diameter. Tune it
once, and you are fine through a number of workpieces.

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

They are legal here where I'm at but I fail to see any legimate purpose for
them especially considering that the attendant permitting fee is ~$300.00...

I also fail to see a need for them here. I'm not even sure
whether Virginia allows them or not, and I have no motivation to check.

If they were not so expensive to legally own, I might be
interested in making one or two to see how they work -- and how well
they might be made to work -- but after that I would not see any reason
to keep them once the experiment was done.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate?

[ ... ]

A couple things come to mind.

The price of Bison chucks has gone way up over the last several years,
and aren't quite the bargain they used to be. I think I paid around
$375 for my 6" Bison 6-jaw; current Enco price is $884.

Hmm .... maybe it is Enco. Let's see. New England Brass and
Tool has a new line called "Fuerda" (sounds Spanish) in which they offer
the 6" 6-jaw for $450.00 in semi-steel, and 6-1/4" for $700.00 in Forged
Steel. Both have two-piece jaws.

The same people have the Bison full *Set-Tru* in 6-jaw Forged
Steel and two-piece jaws for $950.00 in 6-1/4". (Was your price for
Set-Tru or normal fixed mounting?

http://www.brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html

The lower priced Buck chucks (BVC, I think) are overpriced crap. I
bought one recently that a customer specified for a job and had to
disassemble and refit the jaws. My customer said they do that to most
that come in. Might as well buy a Chinese chuck at half the price.

Agreed!

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:43:22 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

[...]

Don't forget to make a donation to your sheriff's re-election campaign
and mention you appreciated this. This little offer may probably buy
another favor down the road. The sheriff is a good person to be
friends with.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate?

[ ... ]

A couple things come to mind.

The price of Bison chucks has gone way up over the last several years,
and aren't quite the bargain they used to be. I think I paid around
$375 for my 6" Bison 6-jaw; current Enco price is $884.

Hmm .... maybe it is Enco. Let's see. New England Brass and
Tool has a new line called "Fuerda" (sounds Spanish) in which they offer
the 6" 6-jaw for $450.00 in semi-steel, and 6-1/4" for $700.00 in Forged
Steel. Both have two-piece jaws.

The same people have the Bison full *Set-Tru* in 6-jaw Forged
Steel and two-piece jaws for $950.00 in 6-1/4". (Was your price for
Set-Tru or normal fixed mounting?

http://www.brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html

It's a forged set-tru, p/n 7-868-0600 on that page. You got me second
guessing my memory so I looked up the price. It was $368.95 in 2003;
no back plate. It came from Enco, no doubt from a sale flyer, but
that's still a big increase in 8 years.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

What spindle mount?

If you are after *new*, look at Bison chucks. Nice quality for
reasonable prices.

L00

After the comments on Buck, I'll look at Bison.

Wes

Call these people and inquire about a good used bison or buck chuck.

http://www.greermachinery.com/

Call..dont email.

Or email me

I could maybe use a 3 jaw with a hardinge-pin-lock if the price was right...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

What spindle mount?

If you are after *new*, look at Bison chucks. Nice quality for
reasonable prices.

L00

After the comments on Buck, I'll look at Bison.

Wes

Call these people and inquire about a good used bison or buck chuck.

http://www.greermachinery.com/

Call..dont email.

Or email me

There is Iggy too!

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 10:51:36 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Don't mean to be a smart-ass, but could someone
tell me the advantage of a 3-jaw chuck that you
can dial in verses a 4-jaw independent chuck.

It seldom takes longer than 2-3 minutes for me
to dial in a 4-jaw chuck to .001". I have a
dial indicator and base all set up and seldom
use a 3- jaw chuck any more. Am I missing
something?

Greetings Jim,
I do a lot of work that has to run true better than .0005". When I
dial in a part in the 3 jaw adjustables it repeats better than .0005"
at that diameter and chucking pressure. When I change diameters and
need to re-adjust the chuck it almost never takes me more than 2
minutes. HOWEVER, if I had only one chuck it would be a 4 jaw. Lots of
the time I bore jaws, and three jaw chucks with top jaws make that
real easy. None of my 4 jaw chucks have top jaws, but I'm sure they
can be had. BTW, I bought several years ago a 4 inch chuck on a 5C
arbor. It is Chinese made. I was unable to find one that wasn't. I
took it apart and made it adjustable. The jaws were all in the same
plane and perpendicular to that plane but the back face of the chuck
was not perpendicular to the jaws. I tightened the jaws onto a just
turned spud and machined the back of the chuck true. Then I modified
the chuck to be adjustable, with only 3 equally spaced screws instead
of 4. It repeats better than .0008". And adjusts fast, but not as fast
as 4 screws.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 10, 1:51*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

Don't mean to be a smart-ass, but could someone
tell me the advantage of a 3-jaw chuck that you
can dial in verses a 4-jaw independent chuck.

It seldom takes longer than 2-3 minutes for me
to dial in a 4-jaw chuck to .001". *I have a
dial indicator and base all set up and seldom
use a 3- jaw chuck any more. *Am I missing
something?

I do not have a 3 jaw chuck that is adjustable. But what I think is
the advantage is in production. You can adjust a three jaw once and
then machine a hundred parts without having to spend that 2-3 minutes
per part.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Jim Stewart wrote:
Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Don't mean to be a smart-ass, but could someone
tell me the advantage of a 3-jaw chuck that you
can dial in verses a 4-jaw independent chuck.

For a single workpiece -- none.

For multiple workpieces of the same diameter (e.g. production),
it repeats quite well (though not for workpieces of differing
diameters, where it is at the mercy of wear on the scroll and the
"interrupted threads" of the jaws.)

It seldom takes longer than 2-3 minutes for me
to dial in a 4-jaw chuck to .001".

And is about the same dialing in an Adjust-Tru style of chuck.
But you only have to do it once for a run of however many parts you want
to make in one setup.

I have a
dial indicator and base all set up and seldom
use a 3- jaw chuck any more. Am I missing
something?

Production work -- where time per part is more important than
set-up time.

Of course -- for enough parts, soft jaws bored to size can be
even better -- especially if you need a step against which to set the
part for depth control as well.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:
Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Don't mean to be a smart-ass, but could someone
tell me the advantage of a 3-jaw chuck that you
can dial in verses a 4-jaw independent chuck.

It seldom takes longer than 2-3 minutes for me
to dial in a 4-jaw chuck to .001". I have a
dial indicator and base all set up and seldom
use a 3- jaw chuck any more. Am I missing
something?

The big advantage of a 3 jaw that you can do adjustments on..is when you
do repeat parts. If you are only doing (1) part..a 4 jaw works just
fine..if you are set up and practiced at doing the setup.

Gunner, who has a big choices of 3/4/6 jaw chucks..and some are Adjust
trues.

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:10:03 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

" fired this volley in news:65cf7d1e-
:

You can adjust a three jaw once and
then machine a hundred parts without having to spend that 2-3 minutes
per part.

You can do that with a 4-jaw, too. If you torque all 4 jaws to the same
torque, only loosen two jaws, are using the same o.d. workpiece each
time, and re-tighten those two jaws to the same torque as before, it's
every bit as true as a scroll chuck would be.

It's in the maneuver, not the hardware.

Besides, only collets are accurate on every chuck-up.

LLoyd

Greetings LLoyd,
With a 4 jaw you at least need to tighten two jaws. With a three jaw
only 1. And accurate 3 jaw chucks will repeat better than .0005". If
it was true that the time difference was practically nil then
everybody would use 4 jaws almost as much as 3 jaws. But for even a
few parts a good 3 jaw is significantly faster than a good 4 jaw.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Unless you spend a LOT of time on the lathe you prolly don't need
one. I do a LOT of lathe work so I've got a 4-jaw and I also have a 6-jaw
Buck Adjust-tru. Turns out I use the Buck most of the time. For irregular
shaped work I can leave a jaw out and sometimes it'll work. For square stuff
I use a split bushing to center it and the advantage of 6 jaws really
shines. Also the jaws on a 6-jaw chuck are much pointier so I can hold stock
as small as maybe 3/16" dia without resorting to collets.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09 Oct 2011 16:23:28 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Unless you spend a LOT of time on the lathe you prolly don't need
one. I do a LOT of lathe work so I've got a 4-jaw and I also have a 6-jaw
Buck Adjust-tru. Turns out I use the Buck most of the time. For irregular
shaped work I can leave a jaw out and sometimes it'll work. For square stuff
I use a split bushing to center it and the advantage of 6 jaws really
shines. Also the jaws on a 6-jaw chuck are much pointier so I can hold stock
as small as maybe 3/16" dia without resorting to collets.

Very well stated.

Gunner, with (2) 6 jaw Bucks on the HLV-H

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)