Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default I need to buy a 3 jaw adjust true chuck

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 04:38:57 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Just buy a four jaw independent chuck and learn to use it. I use a
ten thousandth dial gage for final adjustment. The last time I used a
three jaw chuck.other than a drill chuck on other than my Unimat 3
was55 years ago in High School shop class.

I'm doing most of my work with an 8" 4 jaw unless it fits my collets. The 4 jaw has
serations in the jaw that makes it hard to use for small things. I wish the jaws were
smooth.

Wes

Then you may want to compare the Buck and the Bison. There are more
and deeper serrations in my Bison 6" six-jaw than those in my Buck 6"
three-jaw. The Buck is an older forged steel chuck, and hopefully my
criticism of the economy Bucks doesn't apply to the current steel
chucks. And, as I mentioned, the price spread between Buck and Bison
isn't nearly what it used to be.

You might also want to keep an eye on this ebay seller's auctions:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/toolmexonlin....c0.m270.l1311
They show up occasionally in one of my saved searches and seem to have
good prices on Bison chucks that have been returned or were dinged in
shipping.

--
Ned Simmons