Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default I need to buy a 3 jaw adjust true chuck

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:51:42 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Anyone have good pointers to where I can get a 6" scroll chuck with an
adjustable back
plate? I know Buck makes one, I'm not sure what chuck we have on the
LeBlond at work but
it is sweet being able to dial in concentricity. I'm trying to find the
best deal on a
good chuck.

I need to get this accessory purchased soon. I just heard that the AG for
Michigan may be
lifting the disability to own suppressors in my state soon which would
divert my metal
working budget to my gun budget.

Wes

Buck is the name brand. Bison has them too. I happen to know a cheap
skate that just made his own, Not that hard a job.

Personally if I were to buy a new chuck I would just buy one that has
removable top jaws--be careful truing your backplate and it should run
within a thou or so which is fine for most work, that way if you have a need
to be dead nuts you can always put in a set of soft jaws and bore them.

Besides, adjust tru chucks take will vibrate quite a bit unless you have the
chuck body running close to centerline and they take just about as long to
dial in as a 4 jaw which negates much of their supposed advantage anyways.

I'm GWE on you getting ability to own a suppressor. Done deal from
what I've read. We're still just like the People's Republic of
Kalifornia in regard to suppressors here in MN.

They are legal here where I'm at but I fail to see any legimate purpose for
them especially considering that the attendant permitting fee is ~$300.00...

But since tax revenues on cigarettes is on the decline then might as well
take advantage of gun owners I suppose.