Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need to buy a 3 jaw adjust true chuck

On 09 Oct 2011 16:23:28 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Unless you spend a LOT of time on the lathe you prolly don't need
one. I do a LOT of lathe work so I've got a 4-jaw and I also have a 6-jaw
Buck Adjust-tru. Turns out I use the Buck most of the time. For irregular
shaped work I can leave a jaw out and sometimes it'll work. For square stuff
I use a split bushing to center it and the advantage of 6 jaws really
shines. Also the jaws on a 6-jaw chuck are much pointier so I can hold stock
as small as maybe 3/16" dia without resorting to collets.

Very well stated.

Gunner, with (2) 6 jaw Bucks on the HLV-H

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)