Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need to buy a 3 jaw adjust true chuck

On Sep 10, 1:51*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

Don't mean to be a smart-ass, but could someone
tell me the advantage of a 3-jaw chuck that you
can dial in verses a 4-jaw independent chuck.

It seldom takes longer than 2-3 minutes for me
to dial in a 4-jaw chuck to .001". *I have a
dial indicator and base all set up and seldom
use a 3- jaw chuck any more. *Am I missing
something?

I do not have a 3 jaw chuck that is adjustable. But what I think is
the advantage is in production. You can adjust a three jaw once and
then machine a hundred parts without having to spend that 2-3 minutes
per part.

Dan