Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Craigslist gyrations

I got the following response for some conduit I am selling on Craigslist.
It is fishy, but there is no mention of kickback or taking the goods before
check clears. I figure this is a scam, but am unsure of how it works.

Anyone?

aroo james to me:

Hello,

I am very much satisfied with the condition and price of the above
item you posted on KSL and I would like to make an immediate purchase
of the item. So i will advice that you withdraw the ad from the web.

Pls, i will like to know how you intend to proceed on this, but i
would prefer that i issue out a certified check to your location and
upon the confirmation and clearance of payment, my shipper will come
for the pick-up at your location. I would really have loved to come
for the viewing of the item but since i am not chanced my movers will.
If you are okay with this, please do get back to me with the following
details so i can make out payment
IMMEDIATELY.

1: Your Full Name to be on the payment
2: Your Address and zip code (NOT P.O BOX)
3: Your mobile number or cell phone number

I would forward all your details to my secretary to make the payment
out to you fast...i am on a business trip right now, and would be busy
for sometime, i would be checking my email time to time to check your
message.

Have a nice day

ME TO AROO JAMES:

I proceed very simple. Bring US currency. Pick up merchandise.

AROO JAMES BACK TO ME.

Hello,
Thanks for your swift response.I would have preferred paying you by
cash,but i am presently on Business Trip,and due to the interest i
have with the item.I will instruct my secretary to go ahead and
prepared the Certified Check asap. Then when the check clears, my
shipping Agent will come for the pick up.
Get back to me your full name and address,so that I can go ahead and
issue out the payment.

MY LAST TO AROO JAMES:

You seem not to understand what I told you, so I will tell you once more.
When a living person pays me with American currency, I shall release the
goods. Is that clear enough?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

scam

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 08:35:54 -0700, the renowned "Steve B"
wrote:

I got the following response for some conduit I am selling on Craigslist.
It is fishy, but there is no mention of kickback or taking the goods before
check clears. I figure this is a scam, but am unsure of how it works.

Anyone?

I can guess. The check is phony (he hopes you don't call and verify
it) but done in a way that takes a week or two to come back, and
"accidentally" made out for more than the price. You're asked to wire
some money to him in East Africa or whatever and generously allowed to
"keep" some for your troubles.

Or he asks you to pay the shipping company, and includes a very, very
generous amount on the fake check for shipping, and again, as above.

Either way you end up out whatever is sent to him, maybe shipping and
maybe the goods.

From a car site:

Verify that a certified check is genuine
Before you deposit a certified check, verify authenticity with the
issuing bank-not just your bank. Make sure the account contains
sufficient funds and the issuing bank guarantees payment on the
check. It may take a week or more for the check to clear. It
hasn't cleared just because your bank has accepted it and credited
your account.

Beware of overpayment or other complicated payment schemes
Don't agree to any plan where the buyer asks to send a check for
more than the sale price and requests that the seller refund the
difference. And be suspicious of any buyer who proposes making
payment through a friend or agent of the buyer.

For laughs you could ask him to send the "certified check" and see
what happens. You can always change your mind and send it back if you
don't like the looks of it (and from this dude's approach and command
of English, I bet you won't). Of course he can then claim he didn't
receive it and you owe him the money etc. so maybe the laughs won't be
worth it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nigerian scammer from Lagos, no doubt whatsoever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't even reply and give him your email address.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:r5OdnYHXi7LaarfTnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Ignoramus29885" wrote in message
Nigerian scammer from Lagos, no doubt whatsoever.

Waste as much of his time as you can afford....maybe even sucker him into
actually sending you some real money.

It's not a good idea to try to outsmart them. They're used to it, and
they're very good.

I know this guy. He is brilliant. He thought he could beat them:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...cid=sitesearch

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:n92dnXZ6yN1kYrfTnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:r5OdnYHXi7LaarfTnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Ignoramus29885" wrote in message
Nigerian scammer from Lagos, no doubt whatsoever.

Waste as much of his time as you can afford....maybe even sucker him
into actually sending you some real money.

It's not a good idea to try to outsmart them. They're used to it, and
they're very good.

I know this guy. He is brilliant. He thought he could beat them:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...cid=sitesearch

What a marroon.

IQ through the roof. PhD. Princeton. Built the world's second ion
microscope. Holds patents in fiber optics, resource recovery, plant
medicine, etc. Nephew of a Nobel Prize winner.

Jackass, maybe, but not dumb.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-23, Ed Huntress wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:r5OdnYHXi7LaarfTnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Ignoramus29885" wrote in message
Nigerian scammer from Lagos, no doubt whatsoever.

Waste as much of his time as you can afford....maybe even sucker him into
actually sending you some real money.

It's not a good idea to try to outsmart them. They're used to it, and
they're very good.

I did it many times. I no longer do it because it is boring. I could
get them to become completely enraged. It was fun.

I know this guy. He is brilliant. He thought he could beat them:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...cid=sitesearch

Does not seem very brilliant to be. Seems like a tyipcal dumb ass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-23, Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

He may have used up all his brain cells on those ion microscopes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

A high IQ is no substitute for good old common sense.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:E6idnTzC3stcnrbTnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

[...]

I'm not sure what your point is, but if you decide to play games with these
guys and you wind up on the short end of the stick, don't say you weren't
warned.

They're professional crooks, and many of them are very, very good.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-23, Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Not likely. Thinking you can out-scam those guys, that someone else is
really dumb and you know how and why it couldn't happen to you, is exactly
the kind of hubris the Nigerian scammers rely on.

The more immune you think you are, the easier you are as a target.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
Not likely. Thinking you can out-scam those guys, that someone else is
really dumb and you know how and why it couldn't happen to you, is exactly
the kind of hubris the Nigerian scammers rely on.

The more immune you think you are, the easier you are as a target.

There's nothing in the linked article to indicate that he was trying to
outsmart them. Or that he even knew that it was a scam.

Oh, wait ... from
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/...d_currency.htm
quote
Secret Service agents discovered Elion after he deposited large sums of
cash into a Chicago bank account linked to the Nigerian criminals and in
December, 1997, warned him that he was a victim of a Nigerian
"advance-fee fraud" and urged him to stop sending money, but he ignored
the warning.
/quote

There's plenty in that link to indicate that he was an idiot and a
crook. Ph.D's CAN be idiots.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote

For laughs you could ask him to send the "certified check" and see
what happens. You can always change your mind and send it back if you
don't like the looks of it (and from this dude's approach and command
of English, I bet you won't). Of course he can then claim he didn't
receive it and you owe him the money etc. so maybe the laughs won't be
worth it.

We did that with one of our rent houses just for laughs. The check was a
pretty good copy of the real deal. The bank called us back in two days
saying it was no good, which we expected, and didn't touch the funds. The
guy called all indignant, and asking for his overage, and vehemently
assuring that the check was good. We said, "Well, then I'm sure you want it
back. Where do we mail it to?" ........... click........

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know this guy. He is brilliant. He thought he could beat them:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...cid=sitesearch

Does not seem very brilliant to be. Seems like a tyipcal dumb ass.

Agreed. A brilliant person would be much too busy being brilliant to take
the time required to play games with these morons, especially knowing from
the get go that they are fakes.

I just hadn't gotten to the part yet where I could see there was to be an
overage, or he would try to pick up the stuff while the check was still
kiting.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 08:35:54 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

The stilted Engrish is the sign of a scammer. Most of them come from
Nigeria, but others from asian countries.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-23, Steve B wrote:
I know this guy. He is brilliant. He thought he could beat them:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...cid=sitesearch

Does not seem very brilliant to be. Seems like a tyipcal dumb ass.

Agreed. A brilliant person would be much too busy being brilliant to take
the time required to play games with these morons, especially knowing from
the get go that they are fakes.

I just hadn't gotten to the part yet where I could see there was to be an
overage, or he would try to pick up the stuff while the check was still
kiting.

The scammer will send you a bad check ni the amount more than your
asking price, and will demand that you send the difference to a
"shipper" via Western Union. The "shipper" is the scammer himself. The
scammer could not care less about what you are actually selling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/23/2011 10:35 AM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

It's a scam, as others noted. No need to bother with responding any
further to him. Usually they tell you to pay the shipper, and they
"accidentally" write the check for too much, and ask you to send the
overpayment back to them. So the goal is they get free stuff + money too.

If you get the issue (of these sorts of scams) frequently, one thing you
can do is do a lookup of the email domain to see where its coming from.
Nobody is going to pay to ship a pile of ordinary hardware store ****
halfway around the world. If it's not in your geographical area, forget
them.

If all they can provide is a gmail, hotmail, yahoo or whatever web-based
account, forget them too.

First go here-
http://www.dnsstuff.com/

and then enter the domain name in the "whois" box and press the go
button. For an address like "http://www.google.com", you drop the
"http://www." part, and only enter "google.com"

Google is a webpage of course, but it works for mail servers too.

For an email address of ", you just enter
"google.com" and it will tell you were the domain is geographically
located.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

The articles don't tell the whole story, which I'm not about to get into.
They're mostly about what happened after he had lost his money. Suffice to
say that Glenn didn't think these guys could outsmart him. That's usually
the big mistake.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus29885" wrote

The scammer will send you a bad check ni the amount more than your
asking price, and will demand that you send the difference to a
"shipper" via Western Union. The "shipper" is the scammer himself. The
scammer could not care less about what you are actually selling.

I got as far as the third sentence when they tell you to pull the ad. No, I
pull the ad when I have the money in my pocket. And, I don't stop
advertising when people say they want it and they'll be right over or on
this Saturday or whatever. I've had flakes, well intentioned people, and
even friends who never showed up to pay for and/or pick up the stuff. Even
had one guy pay for it, and I never saw him again. Contacted his family,
and they said he "just took his stuff and left."

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

I call that condition a "dumbass".

Seriously speaking, he may have been smart at some point when he
invented (or stole inventions of) those ion powered gyrocopters, but
later he became stupid or outright crazy.

He was not convicted for sending money to Nigerians. He was convicted
for being a fraudster himself, which he was.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

That's exactly what I was talking about from the beginning. A dumbass is
someone who thinks he has so much good sense that he can't be scammed.

The opposite is someone who doesn't let his ego or hubris lure him into
trying to out-scam a career criminal. If he recognizes an attempt to scam
him, he stays away from it, rather than trying to show how clever he is.

Seriously speaking, he may have been smart at some point when he
invented (or stole inventions of) those ion powered gyrocopters, but
later he became stupid or outright crazy.

He did become a little crazy at the end. He was never stupid.

He was not convicted for sending money to Nigerians. He was convicted
for being a fraudster himself, which he was.

He became one out of desperation. Prior to that he was as upstanding and
responsible as anyone you'd want to meet.

It would be an interesting psychological study.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:24:12 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

[...]

A high IQ and a law degree is about the most dangerous combination on
earth
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely! Sig Material!!

Bravo!!!

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote

A high IQ and a law degree is about the most dangerous combination on
earth

A roustabout in my crew offshore, Enos Guillory was a very intelligent
person who wanted to go on to be a directional driller. His family was into
that and told him if he got a couple of years under his belt in the oilpatch
that they would take him on and train him. He was one fine hand. He
roustabouted for me for about six months, then went up on the drill floor as
a rough neck.

He called it "being educated beyond one's capacity."

Wherever you are, Enos, hope life has been good to you. You were a good
hand. Hope you realized your goal.

Steve, the crane operator

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Tell him to take his certified check to a bank, and trade it in for
currency, or possibly gold. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Maybe we can talk about it when I come out next month. The key here is
that trying to outsmart these characters is risky business. It can ruin
your life before you know it.

Ed, all I was talking about is suckering "cab fare" to supposedly get to the
bank or some such.

$700k is an entirely different subject altogether.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus29885" wrote in message
snip----

The scammer will send you a bad check ni the amount more than your
asking price, and will demand that you send the difference to a
"shipper" via Western Union. The "shipper" is the scammer himself. The
scammer could not care less about what you are actually selling.

That's pretty obvious to me, considering there was never a mention of the
merchandise, which was spoken of in general terms. A *one size fits all*
scam letter.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:I4Kdnc7S5KyxOLbTnZ2dnUVZ_v2dnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Maybe we can talk about it when I come out next month. The key here is
that trying to outsmart these characters is risky business. It can ruin
your life before you know it.

Ed, all I was talking about is suckering "cab fare" to supposedly get to
the bank or some such.

$700k is an entirely different subject altogether.

I wasn't being very specific about individual posts. All I said originally
is that trying to outsmart those Nigerians is not smart. It doesn't get you
anything, and it can get one into some big trouble.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 06:39:02 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Ignoramus29885" wrote in message
snip----

The scammer will send you a bad check ni the amount more than your
asking price, and will demand that you send the difference to a
"shipper" via Western Union. The "shipper" is the scammer himself. The
scammer could not care less about what you are actually selling.

That's pretty obvious to me, considering there was never a mention of the
merchandise, which was spoken of in general terms. A *one size fits all*
scam letter.

Q: Where was the largest, most expensive church built?

A: Winners' Chapel "Canaanland" Otta, Nigeria http://goo.gl/91zZS

'nuff said?

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Because the Democrats wuv you and want you to be happy, the banks are
required to make funds available to you within three days of depositing a
check.

But if the check doesn't actually clear the other bank, they'll suck that
money right back out again.

So that 'certified check' (likely) has something wrong with it. And
while you might think it's 'cleared' the bank when the money shows up on
your account on-line, the truth is that you don't find out for much
longer.

If you really wanted to waste time playing with the guy's head, take the
check and when he calls say "oh, the bank has made the funds available to
me, but they tell me that it hasn't actually cleared yet -- I'm
waiting". But it'll just waste everyone's time, and his time is less
valuable than yours.

Or say "Sure. I won't be there, but my neighbor Bob from the Fraud
Investigation Unit said that he'd be happy to take the check and take a
picture of your shipping agent to boot".

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

I have not heard from the guy since the last contact, and if I had, I was
ready to filter him.

Problem gone.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-24, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus29885" wrote in message
snip----

The scammer will send you a bad check ni the amount more than your
asking price, and will demand that you send the difference to a
"shipper" via Western Union. The "shipper" is the scammer himself. The
scammer could not care less about what you are actually selling.

That's pretty obvious to me, considering there was never a mention of the
merchandise, which was spoken of in general terms. A *one size fits all*
scam letter.

Speaking of scams, I've recently gotten two attempts to get me
to share the costs of a gift to someone (who I don't know at all), with
the gift being an "electric cigarette" in both cases.

It is actually addressed specifically to me, and has my first
name in the Subject: line.

Obviously an example of what is called "spear phishing" ("spear"
because it is directed to an individual, with references which are
supposed to make it seem to be from someone who knows me, or who does
regular business with me, instead of having a large number of addresses
hidden behind a BCC (Blind Carbon Copy), and saying something like
"dearly beloved" or similar in the salutation, getting around needing to
use an individual's name there.

In this one, I am supposed to connect to a web site which is
selling the electric cigarette. I suspect that this tries to get my
credit card -- or tries to dig passwords and the like out of my
computer. (Not likely to work, since I don't use Windows anyway.) But
there is no way that I will actually connect to that URL anyway. I did
look up the most recent one, and it is located in Norway.

I guess that they are assuming that I am a businessman who is
likely to give frequent gifts to people I barely know to maintain
business connections.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564