Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Craigslist gyrations

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 08:35:54 -0700, the renowned "Steve B"
wrote:

I got the following response for some conduit I am selling on Craigslist.
It is fishy, but there is no mention of kickback or taking the goods before
check clears. I figure this is a scam, but am unsure of how it works.

Anyone?

I can guess. The check is phony (he hopes you don't call and verify
it) but done in a way that takes a week or two to come back, and
"accidentally" made out for more than the price. You're asked to wire
some money to him in East Africa or whatever and generously allowed to
"keep" some for your troubles.

Or he asks you to pay the shipping company, and includes a very, very
generous amount on the fake check for shipping, and again, as above.

Either way you end up out whatever is sent to him, maybe shipping and
maybe the goods.

From a car site:

Verify that a certified check is genuine
Before you deposit a certified check, verify authenticity with the
issuing bank-not just your bank. Make sure the account contains
sufficient funds and the issuing bank guarantees payment on the
check. It may take a week or more for the check to clear. It
hasn't cleared just because your bank has accepted it and credited
your account.

Beware of overpayment or other complicated payment schemes
Don't agree to any plan where the buyer asks to send a check for
more than the sale price and requests that the seller refund the
difference. And be suspicious of any buyer who proposes making
payment through a friend or agent of the buyer.

For laughs you could ask him to send the "certified check" and see
what happens. You can always change your mind and send it back if you
don't like the looks of it (and from this dude's approach and command
of English, I bet you won't). Of course he can then claim he didn't
receive it and you owe him the money etc. so maybe the laughs won't be
worth it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany