Old May 18th 11, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

I have a GM 3/4 ton pickup.

I won, in an auction, a "Ramco RM5000" crane. This crane is similar to
the Harbor Freight truck crane, but is a lot beefier.

It is pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Ramco-RM5000-Truck-Crane.jpg

(not mine, but an identical model).

This is rated for 5k pounds, I am sure for the boom fully retracted.

It has a 8,000 lbs jack. I will put in a longer boom too, and a
winch. I am aware that extending the boom will decrease capacity
proportionally, so a boom that is 4 foot would decrease capacity of
the crane to, say, 1,500 lbs or whatever. I have to call the mfr to
find out. This is stillw ay better than my HF crane.

I have a very large 3/4 inch steel plate, I would say 3x4 feet, that
is rusting in my backyard.

What I thought of doing, is making a cutout on the plate to fit around
a wheel well, and mount it in the back of the truck's bed, and put the
crane on top of it. The Ramco crane would sit in the rear right corner
of the bed, just like this Harbor Freight crane does now:

http://goo.gl/KAN0Y

It has to be a large plate, to spread the weight of the crane and the
levering action that its base would apply to the bed. This particular
plate weighs around 300 lbs and is large enough.

My question is, what sort of constraints do I still have. I would hate
to overturn my truck, break suspension, etc. I would also think that
for heavy lifting, I would need to jack up the right rear wheel too.

Any practical opinions?

Old May 18th 11, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

A crane with that weight capacity really needs to be mounted to the
frame, not to pickup bed sheetmetal. I think typically it would be
mounted with a beefy bracket under the bed to the frame. A support leg
(trailer jack) for the corner of the truck with the crane is common for
the heavier cranes so you don't apply a concentrated load to the
suspension on one side of the truck and also to stabilize it so it stays
level during the lift instead of tilting to that side.

What I was going to do is put a steel plate, 3x4 feet or so, on the
bed and bolt it to the bed. Would that not be enough support for the
crane? I already have this plate and it is huge.

Old May 18th 11, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:17:13 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

I agree with Pete 100%

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Old May 18th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

So, what I think I will do is

1) Use that big 3x4 foot plate
2) For heavy lifts, I would jack the right rear side of the truck.

I will make sure to jack the plate area, to relieve the bed of too
much stress.

Make sense?

Old May 18th 11, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

I think you could bracket the crane to the frame along with providing
for a swing down trailer jack mounting in that bracket for less added
weight than the big plate and faster / easier jacking. It would of
course require some design time, cutting parts and welding to make the
bracket. A 5k rated trailer jack shouldn't be too expensive.

Old May 18th 11, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

Wow, that's a rarity

BTW, what are your thoughts on not too expensive optics to use on a
flat-top AR (Colt LE6920)?
Old May 18th 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

On 2011-05-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

The bed is probably not more than 18 gauge, right? Plus as soon as you put
that plate on top it will rust out fast. Pete is right, also don't weld the
bracket to your frame, bolt it.

Old May 18th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

The bed is probably 18 gauge, however, it is covered with bedliner.

I will not weld anything to the bed, for sure. Nor will I weld to the
frame. This is why I want to use this big steel plate.

Old May 18th 11, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

Bracketing the crane to the bed is a gargantuan task. I cannot weld to
the frame and the area is full of various things.

Old May 18th 11, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:
[...]

The rest of the truck is just sheet metal, Ig...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Stabilizing a HF Shop Crane GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 4 July 28th 09 05:10 AM
HF truck crane Ignoramus10340 Metalworking 31 November 3rd 07 03:23 PM
hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane [email protected] UK diy 23 October 5th 05 11:56 PM
Old Crane Sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 05 03:53 PM
1957 Crane Sink David McCulloch Home Repair 16 January 31st 04 06:30 PM