Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

On May 20, 8:15*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
... I drilled a hole in the top of the crane's vertical post, to store the
pump handle, which provides a guy line attachment for a cable to the
bed tie-downs or a nearby tree ...

Aha. So you made a gin pole out of it. Good idea.

This is what has been in my mind as I think about Iggy's application.

Ed Huntress

The extra support doesn't add much total lifting capacity as the stake
pockets are just sheet metal and would be difficult to hammer back to
shape if damaged. The one-sided load on the leaf spring doesn't
change. I made an extension post for tall bulky loads like appliances
which stress the crane base from longer leverage rather than weight,
and benefit from the guy lines.

jsw