Old October 2nd 05, 08:17 PM

Default hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Graham

Old October 2nd 05, 08:58 PM
Lurch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:17:13 GMT, scrawled:

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Doesn't look like the left hand stabiliser was out. Bet that'll go
down well when the insurance company get the report back.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old October 2nd 05, 10:05 PM
Lurch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:54:46 +0000, Andy Champ
scrawled:

Doesn't look like the left hand stabiliser was out. Bet that'll go
down well when the insurance company get the report back.

No-one would be daft enough to put out the non-working stabiliser, but
not the working one. I'd guess it went down a hole.

Looks like he was close to a wall, whether the crane toppled and broke
the stabiliser and pulled the wagon closer to the wall though?

Perhaps they should have left it empty?

Well, I'd imagine it'll be empty now.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old October 2nd 05, 10:40 PM
Dr Wu

To decide who carries the can for this one, the question is- Who was
responsible for the lifting plan?
The lifting plan outlines the the load to be carrried, the radius, the type
of crane required and in my experience the way the load from the outriggers
(stabilisers) is supported.The plan is an important document that must exist
in the eyes of the Health and Safety Executive before a lift is undertaken.
For some time now crane hire companies will only hire to a party that has a
qualified 'Appointed Person' capable of making out a lifting plan. If no AP
is available then the crane company will carry out a 'Contract Lift' (at a
higher price) and accept responsibility for ensuring the correct size crane
is used for the given load at whatever radius is required. This sounds quite
good for the hirer without an AP, but at the end of the day the hirer is
usually responsible for ensuring that the ground has been checked to ensure
it has the neccessary bearing capacity for the outrigger load.
Often, ground conditions are the reason why a crane tips over.

Old October 2nd 05, 11:28 PM
mrcheerful

wrote in message
hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Graham

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Looks to me like incompetent crane operator.

mrcheerful

Old October 2nd 05, 11:48 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:17:13 GMT, wrote:

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

And:

http://www.sunderland-echo.co.uk/Vie...onID=1107&Arti
cleID=1208650

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X154338EB

That says the stabilisers where out so unless the LH wasn't fully out
or has bent/broken it's a long way into the ground...

I suspect no or to small blocks/boards to spread the load over ground
softer than expected.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old October 3rd 05, 12:26 AM
Chip C

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:17:13 GMT, wrote:

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

And:

http://www.sunderland-echo.co.uk/Vie...onID=1107&Arti
cleID=1208650

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X154338EB

That says the stabilisers where out so unless the LH wasn't fully out
or has bent/broken it's a long way into the ground...

I suspect no or to small blocks/boards to spread the load over ground
softer than expected.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Well, the reports mention gas main damage, so I'd guess it was the
sunken stabiliser that did that. How deep are gas mains thereabouts?

Chip C

Old October 3rd 05, 12:45 AM
DJC

Andy Champ wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Doesn't look like the left hand stabiliser was out. Bet that'll go
down well when the insurance company get the report back.

No-one would be daft enough to put out the non-working stabiliser, but
not the working one. I'd guess it went down a hole.

A hole with a gas main in it?

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"