Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've sometimes wished I had a second mounting location in the center
near the front so I could winch bulky rolling loads such as my tractor
or log splitter up ramps. My crane base doesn't allow that but yours
might.

My small crane can be locked in the cab to hinder theft when I'm
predictably occupied elsewhere, like at an auction.

I made a frame that uses a pair of J bolts to hold my 12V winch to
pull the riding mower into my truck. The 1997 Dakota has a pair of tie
downs under plastic plugs near the cab. The frame sits over them, and
is bolted in place, then I slide the winch on the mounting studs when I
need to use it. I can remove the frame in a couple minutes when i need
the full bed area.