Old October 30th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF truck crane

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

Old October 30th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I have this one and it has been great. I haven't tried it for a full
half ton yet, though. I cut a hole in the bed and welded angle iron to
a bracket on the frame for strength.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1647

If I had it todo over, I'd go with the 37555.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
Old October 30th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10340" wrote in message
Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

No, yes, and yes.

First of all, I have not used the crane. Yet, by optical examination, it
seems borderline.

I was Offshore Petroleum Institute certified rigger, and ran a 30 ton crane
on an offshore drilling platform for more than two years, so I have a LITTLE
bit of experience.

The weak points a

Steel: HF and the Chicoms are advancing in their metallurgy, and the
hardness of their steel is improving. Things that would wear out a few
years ago are lasting longer now. It all depends on the application. Hard
use will bring out the weak points FAST.

Examine the working loads. Just because the unit is rated at 1,000#, it
will last far longer if you only use it to lift 250 or 500, or even 750
occasionally than 1,000 24/7.

Watch the connections. The terminal sockets, the cable ends that have the
sockets either pressed on there, or (correctly) have them poured with molten
metal are subject to coming off. The sheaves (rollers) are subject to wear
and failure. Easily replaced, but catastrophic if not noticed in time
before failure mode. Replace roller pins with #8 grade bolts.

They're like come-a-longs. Good ones, you just go out and use. Cheap ones,
you have to watch and repair as you go along.

This unit may do well and serve you a long time. But keep an eye on it, and
service whenever and wherever you notice wear.

One last thing.

Lots of people over rate their pickups. The basal mounting and the mounting
to the side wall are critical. Leverage is everything, and even the
absolute spendiest best davit (which is what this is essentially , a davit,
not the best and spendiest) will pull out with the right leverage in a
millisecond while you are watching it do so. So, be aware of your loads,
your angles, and such. BTW, the way this is pictured with the base
attached, and not the mast to the sidewall of the truck is an accident
waiting to happen, and I don't think would lift my mother-in-law safely.
Some lateral bracing would be appropriate, inexpensive, and entirely
correct.

Again, I'm no expert. I've just seen a lot of stuff work and a lot of stuff
fail. These are the strong points I see and the weak ones, too. Mainly
realize that this is no stiff leg or A frame that will lift a lot of weight.
And even one of those has to be level or it gets hairy.

Steve

Old October 30th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, Larry Jaques [email protected] wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I have this one and it has been great. I haven't tried it for a full
half ton yet, though. I cut a hole in the bed and welded angle iron to
a bracket on the frame for strength.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1647

If I had it todo over, I'd go with the 37555.

Larry, thanks. Just curious how the bed would hold up to this crane.

Old October 30th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, Gary Owens wrote:
I've got one, and used it until I sold the pickup. It worked. but was a pain
in the butt to use. You must have a truck with suspension that can handle
it. you need to secure it to the frame, not the truck floor. Lifting a small
V8 into the back of a Ranger was an experience. I ended putting jack stands
under the rear of the truck. The unit performed as advertized, the truck
didn't.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup, so I think that it would hold up to 1,000 lbs.

However, I am not sure if the bed would.

Old October 30th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, SteveB wrote:

[...]

Yes, great points on safety and ratings. I was mostly going to use it
for 200-400 lbs stuff.

Old October 30th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, SteveB wrote:

[...]

For that weight range, I would use it myself, BUT, I would still put in the
lateral bracing, and when bolting it to the bed, realize that truck beds are
only slightly stonger than aluminum foil.

Any time you can brace or bracket it over to a frame member, the better. No
problem for a metal worker.

Steve

Old October 30th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've got one - you may have seen the grey Dodge with the Orange pole
in the back around. It is OK but:
1/ mounting it to the box bottom even with reinforcement doesn't cut
it. I have to re-do mine one of these days. The boom has been off
for months now since it broke the welds in the box.
2/ the winch is very poor quality - I stripped it - I can't think what
I was doing at the time - maybe trying to get the B&S surface grinder
off the pallet at about about 700lbs I think. (I didn't have an
engine hoist at the time.)

Other than that I think pretty good for the price.

Cheers,
rem

Old October 30th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I agree with pretty much everything SteveB says but don't attach it to
the side of a common pickup truck at the back - I know from experience
that a side force here will quickly impare the usefullness of the tail
gate. Been there done that - I didn't attach it but I did have it
lean over against it. It was a lot harder it seems to get the side
back to where the gate would latch than it seemed to be to push it
out.

It is cheap steel - the pins wear and the winch is made from butter
but for the price? There are a lot better ones out there I know. Be
careful of the winch - when they strip they can be interesting - mine
jammed fortunately but I was only at 1/2 load I think.

rem
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:24:17 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

m...

Old October 30th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10340 wrote in
:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I had one. The cable snapped (I can't estimate the load). Luckily, no one
was hurt.

Truck for sale... '99 Isuzu FTR - (It's Metal related because it's a MANLY TRUCK, and we're manly men here!!!!) RainLover Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 08:40 PM
hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane [email protected] UK diy 23 October 5th 05 11:56 PM
designs for a better shop crane? Grant Erwin Metalworking 15 May 3rd 05 09:21 AM
Old Crane Sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 05 03:53 PM
1957 Crane Sink David McCulloch Home Repair 16 January 31st 04 06:30 PM