Old May 18th 11, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5000 lbs crane on a 3/4 ton pickup

On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:37:15 -0500, Ignoramus31865

On 2011-05-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

I have a GM 3/4 ton pickup.

I won, in an auction, a "Ramco RM5000" crane. This crane is similar to
the Harbor Freight truck crane, but is a lot beefier.

It is pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Ramco-RM5000-Truck-Crane.jpg

(not mine, but an identical model).

This is rated for 5k pounds, I am sure for the boom fully retracted.

It has a 8,000 lbs jack. I will put in a longer boom too, and a
winch. I am aware that extending the boom will decrease capacity
proportionally, so a boom that is 4 foot would decrease capacity of
the crane to, say, 1,500 lbs or whatever. I have to call the mfr to
find out. This is stillw ay better than my HF crane.

I have a very large 3/4 inch steel plate, I would say 3x4 feet, that
is rusting in my backyard.

What I thought of doing, is making a cutout on the plate to fit around
a wheel well, and mount it in the back of the truck's bed, and put the
crane on top of it. The Ramco crane would sit in the rear right corner
of the bed, just like this Harbor Freight crane does now:

http://goo.gl/KAN0Y

It has to be a large plate, to spread the weight of the crane and the
levering action that its base would apply to the bed. This particular
plate weighs around 300 lbs and is large enough.

My question is, what sort of constraints do I still have. I would hate
to overturn my truck, break suspension, etc. I would also think that
for heavy lifting, I would need to jack up the right rear wheel too.

Any practical opinions?

A crane with that weight capacity really needs to be mounted to the
frame, not to pickup bed sheetmetal. I think typically it would be
mounted with a beefy bracket under the bed to the frame. A support leg
(trailer jack) for the corner of the truck with the crane is common for
the heavier cranes so you don't apply a concentrated load to the
suspension on one side of the truck and also to stabilize it so it stays
level during the lift instead of tilting to that side.

What I was going to do is put a steel plate, 3x4 feet or so, on the
bed and bolt it to the bed. Would that not be enough support for the
crane? I already have this plate and it is huge.

That plate HAS to be bolted to the frame. Period

No matter how thick it is.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is

Old May 18th 11, 10:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 21:10:53 -0500, Ignoramus31865

On 2011-05-18, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:17:13 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

I agree with Pete 100%

So, what I think I will do is

1) Use that big 3x4 foot plate
2) For heavy lifts, I would jack the right rear side of the truck.

I will make sure to jack the plate area, to relieve the bed of too
much stress.

Make sense?

Not if its not bolted to the frame.

All you are going to do is simply pull the screws/bolts out of the bed,
or bend the **** out of it.

Seriously.

Gunner

Old May 18th 11, 11:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

Wow, that's a rarity

BTW, what are your thoughts on not too expensive optics to use on a
flat-top AR (Colt LE6920)?

6x at most. Any more magnification will be a waste unless it will shoot
sub 1". Most are not capable of utilizing a high power scope and they
tend to get in the way optically. And often...physically.

For such weapons..if you are punching paper..optics..If you are using
it for combat...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=255653

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP7512-34.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...aspx?sku=39165

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=SCP-009

Even on 30 calibers..I dont go over 10x..except on 300 WIn Mag..and then
I have a couple with 12x..but seldom ever shoot em over 10x

Gunner

Old May 18th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 17, 8:37*pm, Ignoramus31865 [email protected]
31865.invalid wrote:
I have a GM 3/4 ton pickup.
What I thought of doing, is making a cutout on the plate to fit around
a wheel well, and mount it in the back of the truck's bed, and put the
crane on top of it. The Ramco crane would sit in the rear right corner
of the bed, just like this Harbor Freight crane does now:

* *http://goo.gl/KAN0Y

It has to be a large plate, to spread the weight of the crane and the
levering action that its base would apply to the bed. This particular
plate weighs around 300 lbs and is large enough.

My question is, what sort of constraints do I still have. I would hate
to overturn my truck, break suspension, etc. I would also think that
for heavy lifting, I would need to jack up the right rear wheel too.

Any practical opinions?

IIRC my Ranger is rated for half a ton in the bed, at which point the
rear springs clear the rubber stops by about the height of a clenched
fist (field-expedient measurement). 700 Lbs on the crane, boom
retracted and swung to the rear, deflects the spring on its side the
same amount due to the increased leverage. Once I had that oak log in
the bed the springs deflected a lot less.

I now consider 700 lbs the max to load with the bed-mounted crane. I
could position a heavier load close to the bumper but when the weight
pulls the bed down the mast tilts back and the boom wants -very- badly
to swing out, more than I want to get hurt trying to stop it. I've
broken and replaced those rubber stops after pushing the load capacity
a little, perhaps due to one-sided spring overcompression from large
rocks in the trail.

I made the crane base out of square tubing that bolts through to the
frame and then raised the bed level nearly flush with its top with
plywood. Unlike a Chevy the Ford's bed bolts down from above:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...s/HPIM0470.jpg
http://www.collectorcarsforsale.com/...0718522101.jpg

If you pull the bed off you may be able to install stronger crossbeams
under it or on the frame to support the crane, without cutting your
net load capacity down to my Ranger's by adding 1/4 ton of steel. I
peeked under my friends' Chevy and Dodge trucks and a crane mount
looked possible, though not as simple as mine. You could make wooden
mockups to get the fit right while the bed is still on and the truck
not disabled. I've removed the bed perhaps half a dozen times to fix
rust or the fuel pump + level sensor assembly.

jsw
Old May 18th 11, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

I think you could bracket the crane to the frame along with providing
for a swing down trailer jack mounting in that bracket for less added
weight than the big plate and faster / easier jacking. It would of
course require some design time, cutting parts and welding to make the
bracket. A 5k rated trailer jack shouldn't be too expensive.

Bracketing the crane to the bed is a gargantuan task. I cannot weld to
the frame and the area is full of various things.

It can't be that bad, I fabricated camper mounts for my truck in a
couple days that bolt to the frame using existing holes, fit around
obstacles and are pretty dang beefy. The main plates that attach to the
frame are 3/8" steel plate and the rest is 3/16" wall tube and angle.

I should note that with heavy loads, having things tilt out of level
during the lift means difficulty in controlling boom rotation,
potentially knocking someone over or pinning them against the truck.

Old May 18th 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 18, 9:09*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ignoramus31865 wrote:
Bracketing the crane to the bed is a gargantuan task. I cannot weld to
the frame and the area is full of various things.

It can't be that bad, I fabricated camper mounts for my truck in a
couple days that bolt to the frame using existing holes, fit around
obstacles and are pretty dang beefy. The main plates that attach to the
frame are 3/8" steel plate and the rest is 3/16" wall tube and angle.

Instead of dodging sheet metal obstacles perhaps you can replace them
with the crane support structure, and bolt it all down to clip nuts on
the frame from above like the Ford.

jsw
Old May 18th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 19:37:43 -0500, Ignoramus31865
wrote:

[...]

That would help you to pop wheelies, Ig.

My question is, what sort of constraints do I still have. I would hate
to overturn my truck, break suspension, etc. I would also think that

Just pay closer attention to the same things you already do: centers
of gravity, velocity, trajectory, and such. With a jack and heavy
object in the back of the bed, your rear axle becomes a pivot at the
right weight.

for heavy lifting, I would need to jack up the right rear wheel too.

No, maybe brace the frame (or underneath the 3/4" plate) instead?

Any practical opinions?

Wouldn't most heavy things be large and tend to be put onto the
trailer via a winch and ramp? What you really need is to sell that
crappy old mil trailer you have and get a dropbed dump trailer.

Or for the truck, an extendable bed-mounted ramp with winch at the cab
side. Why lift when you can slide?

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
Old May 18th 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 21:42:11 -0500, Ignoramus31865

On 2011-05-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31865 wrote:

[...]

The bed is probably not more than 18 gauge, right? Plus as soon as you put
that plate on top it will rust out fast. Pete is right, also don't weld the
bracket to your frame, bolt it.

The bed is probably 18 gauge, however, it is covered with bedliner.

I will not weld anything to the bed, for sure. Nor will I weld to the
frame. This is why I want to use this big steel plate.

Cut a foot wide strip of the plate and bolt it to the frame on both
ends. Weld or bolt the crane to it.

Old May 19th 11, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 17, 8:37*pm, Ignoramus31865
* *http://goo.gl/KAN0Y

Any practical opinions?

You could put the new crane on a trailer. The trailer could have out
rigger supports so the new crane could be used to lift very heavy
things with no problems with stability.

Dan

Old May 19th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guys... I am not talking to anyone specifically right now... I sense a
little bit of B/S on this topic.

Right now, I have a crane that lifts 500 lbs, mounted on a 1x1 foot
plate, with angle iron underneath the bed holding it in [place with
thru bolts. While it is slightly shaky, it works just fine.

With this Ramco crane, I am going to have a crane that would lift
about twice more weight -- 1k lbs -- supported by a 3x4 foot
plate. That is 12 times more area than the 1x1 foot plate! Even if it
is not evenly distributed across the plate, it is still a hell of a
lot more support and weight distribution than a 1x1 foot plate.

I think that I will be just fine with it without fabricating any funky
adapters and bolting them to the frame.

Stabilizing a HF Shop Crane GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 4 July 28th 09 05:10 AM
HF truck crane Ignoramus10340 Metalworking 31 November 3rd 07 03:23 PM
hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane [email protected] UK diy 23 October 5th 05 11:56 PM
Old Crane Sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 05 03:53 PM
1957 Crane Sink David McCulloch Home Repair 16 January 31st 04 06:30 PM