Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding helmets

I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. [I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 03:04:58 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. [I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

I know a marvelous head shrinker on Borneo...

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/26/2011 11:04 PM, David Lesher wrote:
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. [I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, tnik wrote:
On 4/26/2011 11:04 PM, David Lesher wrote:
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. [I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/

After throwing out my Harbor Fright automatic helmet, I got a Miller
one, and I am generally happy with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 12:44*pm, Ignoramus14859 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-04-27, tnik wrote:

On 4/26/2011 11:04 PM, David Lesher wrote:
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. *[I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/

After throwing out my Harbor Fright automatic helmet, I got a Miller
one, and I am generally happy with it.

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, tnik wrote:

On 4/26/2011 11:04 PM, David Lesher wrote:
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. ?[I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/

After throwing out my Harbor Fright automatic helmet, I got a Miller
one, and I am generally happy with it.

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Lesher" wrote in message
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. [I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

I have a NexGen in a Huntsman 951, and like it. It is best that you just
take the guy shopping, and let him find the one that fits his head the best.

I wear a 7 1/2 to 75/8 size hat. I have either a very large brain, or thick
skull, tests were inconclusive. The crown of my head is also high, and I
have to use the last hole in the over the top of the head adjuster. So,
everyone's head is different, and those holding mechanisms are different,
too, as is the functional part of the helmet. And don't forget that you can
buy headbands that fit in other helmets, so it is possible to mix them. You
gotta let the guy pick it out, as he's the one who's going to wear it a lot.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, tnik wrote:

On 4/26/2011 11:04 PM, David Lesher wrote:
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. ?[I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/

After throwing out my Harbor Fright automatic helmet, I got a Miller
one, and I am generally happy with it.

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

i-

But before it broke, you were happy with it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, tnik wrote:

On 4/26/2011 11:04 PM, David Lesher wrote:
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. ?[I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/

After throwing out my Harbor Fright automatic helmet, I got a Miller
one, and I am generally happy with it.

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

i-

But before it broke, you were happy with it?

I was happy with it before it broke, yes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, tnik wrote:

On 4/26/2011 11:04 PM, David Lesher wrote:
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. ?[I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/

After throwing out my Harbor Fright automatic helmet, I got a Miller
one, and I am generally happy with it.

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

i-

But before it broke, you were happy with it?

I've got two HF auto helmets. Their cheaper one, and their more expensive
one. I kinda like them both, but the more expensive one takes about 3/4-1
second to go clear when the arc shuts off. If I am stacking (overlapping)
tack welds doing thinner materials its kind of a pain having to wait after
each spot for my helmet to clear so I can see to position the gun again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

I bought one on eBay when I got my TIG. I am pretty sure it is similar
to the HF stuff. Has a darkness knob on the left outside. That is a
peeve, as that knob constantly gets bumped.

What I found is that you need to leave the unit where it can see light,
so I leave it pointed so it is looking straight at a light fixture.
This keeps the battery charged.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I'm also a fathead (7 3/4), and as a bonus, my forehead keeps getting
taller! When I need to tack or do simple fillet welds, they let me use
the company generic helmets; I think the best thing you could get someone
in that position is a cooling fan! :-)

Hey, maybe that's an idea for an invention - a welding hood with a built-in
cooling fan! I hate it when my forehead sweats under that leather headband,
and the hood slides all over.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

I bought one on eBay when I got my TIG. I am pretty sure it is similar
to the HF stuff. Has a darkness knob on the left outside. That is a
peeve, as that knob constantly gets bumped.

What I found is that you need to leave the unit where it can see light,
so I leave it pointed so it is looking straight at a light fixture.
This keeps the battery charged.

Jon

It was exposed to light all the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:15:26 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I've got two HF auto helmets. Their cheaper one, and their more expensive
one. I kinda like them both, but the more expensive one takes about 3/4-1
second to go clear when the arc shuts off. If I am stacking (overlapping)
tack welds doing thinner materials its kind of a pain having to wait after
each spot for my helmet to clear so I can see to position the gun again.

Set up a high-intensity light on the weld area. It will light up the
workpiece while keeping the lens dark. Win/win.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I send an email to
who will answer?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Lesher" wrote in message
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. [I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too
small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to
his
current one...?

--
A host is a host from coast to

& no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301)
56-LINUX
Unless the host (that isn't
close).........................pob 1433
is busy, hung or
dead....................................20915-1433

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:18:31 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
[...]

You mean you dont wear a welding cap or dew rag, when wearing a hood???

why the hell not??? You like setting your hair on fire??

http://www.google.com/search?q=weldi...ient=firefox-a

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got two HF auto helmets. Their cheaper one, and their more expensive
one. I kinda like them both, but the more expensive one takes about 3/4-1
second to go clear when the arc shuts off. If I am stacking (overlapping)
tack welds doing thinner materials its kind of a pain having to wait after
each spot for my helmet to clear so I can see to position the gun again.

Set up a high-intensity light on the weld area. It will light up the
workpiece while keeping the lens dark. Win/win.

A standard 200-500 watt quartz work lamp is the ticket. I keep them
mounted over my mig and tig tables. Helps light up the work, doesnt wash
out the weld and keeps the helmet charged between welds

These sorts of lights..mounted high on posts...one each works fine

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-he...and-47410.html

You know what lights Im talking about now. Everybody has a few of them
kicking around from busted assemblies..

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:18:31 -0700, Rich Grise

Hey, maybe that's an idea for an invention - a welding hood with a
built-in cooling fan! I hate it when my forehead sweats under that leather
headband, and the hood slides all over.

You mean you dont wear a welding cap or dew rag, when wearing a hood???

why the hell not??? You like setting your hair on fire??

This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing, although I have
worn a bandana to keep the sweat out of my eyes. It never occurred to me,
primarily because I'm no weldor - I'm just the detail draftsman who
occasionally gets an opportunity to melt some fluxcore.

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey, maybe that's an idea for an invention - a welding hood with a
built-in
cooling fan! I hate it when my forehead sweats under that leather
headband,
and the hood slides all over.

Try a welding cap.

Take a Comeaux cotton welding hat, and when the weather is hot, put ice
water on it, and put it back on. There's about half an hour of relief
there.

When I was working in the early 70's in the oilfield, a weldor brought hand
sewn caps that his wife and in-laws sewed. He sold all he brought every
time. I have written Comeaux about their history to see if it was that same
weldor. Will keep you posted.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:41:58 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Hey, maybe that's an idea for an invention - a welding hood with a
built-in
cooling fan! I hate it when my forehead sweats under that leather
headband,
and the hood slides all over.

Try a welding cap.

Take a Comeaux cotton welding hat, and when the weather is hot, put ice
water on it, and put it back on. There's about half an hour of relief
there.

When I was working in the early 70's in the oilfield, a weldor brought hand
sewn caps that his wife and in-laws sewed. He sold all he brought every
time. I have written Comeaux about their history to see if it was that same
weldor. Will keep you posted.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

And the "neck wraps" are life savers here in the high desert

I have several that are at least 10 yrs old that I use religiously

http://www.kerchiller.com/

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got two HF auto helmets. Their cheaper one, and their more expensive
one. I kinda like them both, but the more expensive one takes about 3/4-1
second to go clear when the arc shuts off. If I am stacking (overlapping)
tack welds doing thinner materials its kind of a pain having to wait after
each spot for my helmet to clear so I can see to position the gun again.

Set up a high-intensity light on the weld area. It will light up the
workpiece while keeping the lens dark. Win/win.

LOL. Ok... or set up high intensity lights and just use my old ordinary
dark welding helmet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

I bought one on eBay when I got my TIG. I am pretty sure it is similar
to the HF stuff. Has a darkness knob on the left outside. That is a
peeve, as that knob constantly gets bumped.

What I found is that you need to leave the unit where it can see light,
so I leave it pointed so it is looking straight at a light fixture.
This keeps the battery charged.

Jon

It was exposed to light all the time.

I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall there are
still batteries in it. On the cheaper one the batteries are not
replaceable. When they go bad you throw the helmet away. So far both of
mine still work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

I bought one on eBay when I got my TIG. I am pretty sure it is similar
to the HF stuff. Has a darkness knob on the left outside. That is a
peeve, as that knob constantly gets bumped.

What I found is that you need to leave the unit where it can see light,
so I leave it pointed so it is looking straight at a light fixture.
This keeps the battery charged.

Jon

It was exposed to light all the time.

I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall there are
still batteries in it. On the cheaper one the batteries are not
replaceable. When they go bad you throw the helmet away. So far both of
mine still work.

they were not replaceable on mine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

I bought one on eBay when I got my TIG. I am pretty sure it is similar
to the HF stuff. Has a darkness knob on the left outside. That is a
peeve, as that knob constantly gets bumped.

What I found is that you need to leave the unit where it can see light,
so I leave it pointed so it is looking straight at a light fixture.
This keeps the battery charged.

Jon

It was exposed to light all the time.

I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall there are
still batteries in it. On the cheaper one the batteries are not
replaceable. When they go bad you throw the helmet away. So far both of
mine still work.

they were not replaceable on mine.

You had the cheaper one then. Plane grey. The one that comes with the
fancy paint job has replaceable batteries. I actually like the
functionality of the cheaper one better as it goes clear much quicker
when the arc breaks. I would never have bought either one way back
when. A buddy of mine got me the cheap HF auto hood as a gift to say
thanks for a bunch of misc repairs I had done for him. Fixing his boat
trailer, welding up holes in his boat, repairing the hitch and jack on
his son's horse trailer. The kind of things you do to help out a buddy.
After I got the auto helmet I discovered my welding got better and
setup was a lot easier. I bought the fancier one myself when my son
exhibited an interest in welding and signed up for welding in high school.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
After I got the auto helmet I discovered my welding got
better and setup was a lot easier. I bought the fancier one myself when
my son
exhibited an interest in welding and signed up for welding in high
school.

My wife gave me one from Northern Tool for Christmas . This is my first , so
I have no basis for comparing , but I love it . Like you , my welds got a
lot better when I started using it .
One thing I found out this week , they do NOT like getting wet . Wind blew
mine off the table in my carport in the storm earlier this week , it got
rained on . Of course it landed lens down , so the water pooled inside . Got
it dried out , and it still works ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

I bought one on eBay when I got my TIG. I am pretty sure it is similar
to the HF stuff. Has a darkness knob on the left outside. That is a
peeve, as that knob constantly gets bumped.

What I found is that you need to leave the unit where it can see light,
so I leave it pointed so it is looking straight at a light fixture.
This keeps the battery charged.

Jon

It was exposed to light all the time.

I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall there are
still batteries in it. On the cheaper one the batteries are not
replaceable. When they go bad you throw the helmet away. So far both of
mine still work.

they were not replaceable on mine.

Or you could simply take it back to HF and ask the manager to replace it
as being defective.

Wierder things than that have happened in HF.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

[...]

I could, but I did not want to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

[...]

Must be nice to be rich, eh?

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

$15 each? Man, you sure don't know how to shop.
I've never seen them for over $5
http://goo.gl/ajEs2 $3.99 here

I swear by 'em in the summer.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

[...]

Yep, hope and change seem to be working out OK. I am not really
"rich", but I can buy a miller helmet once, inctead of going through
HF helmets every 2 years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

[...]

Too bad its not working out for the 32% unemployed.

Well..they can hope for change..but they are still living in their cars.

Shrug

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:26:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've got two HF auto helmets. Their cheaper one, and their more expensive
one. I kinda like them both, but the more expensive one takes about 3/4-1
second to go clear when the arc shuts off. If I am stacking (overlapping)
tack welds doing thinner materials its kind of a pain having to wait after
each spot for my helmet to clear so I can see to position the gun again.

Set up a high-intensity light on the weld area. It will light up the
workpiece while keeping the lens dark. Win/win.

LOL. Ok... or set up high intensity lights and just use my old ordinary
dark welding helmet.

Nah. They're heavier, with smaller windows, etc.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

[...]

I was thinking about the house that I won on auction. Two people lived
there. Probably had a fine, modest life. Wife developed cancer, they
had no money for treatments, borrowed 240,000 USD from a bank, and
defaulted. Lost the house and everything. The bank also lost big time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:51:38 -0500, Ignoramus9529

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall
there are still batteries in it. On the cheaper one the batteries
are not replaceable. When they go bad you throw the helmet away. So
far both of mine still work.

There's a webpage somewhere with a fellow documenting his replacement of the
batteries in his helmet. Of course I can't find it at the moment....

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 11:56:05 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

How, for someone who knows how to weld, can
the batteries be 'not replaceable'?

Reminds me of the "Center for Natural Health"; I'm
just completely AMAZED that these folk have
been able to centralize 'natural health'.

In my case..Ive several filters that are about .250 thick..and the
batteries are sandwiched into the filter.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik writes:

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ion/head_face/

Thanks, but I confirmed that it's window size, not head size, that is the
issue.

And while the Miller window is larger than HF's; it's not that much so...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 29, 4:41*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
*I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall
there are still batteries in it. *On the cheaper one the batteries
are not replaceable. *When they go bad you throw the helmet away. *So
far both of mine still work.

There's a webpage somewhere with a fellow documenting his replacement of the
batteries in his helmet. *Of course I can't find it at the moment....

Jon

Yeah, "non-replaceable" to me just means a little more determination
is needed unless the works is potted in an epoxy block. Most
objectionable feature was the controls being inside, had to take the
thing off to change anything.

HF has several grades of helmets, usability rises with the price.
Last one I got ran around $40 with coupon and sale price, has a
replaceable battery and outside controls, window was at least twice
the size vertically of the cheapy. No doubt the pros will find
faults with it, but it works OK for the infrequent stick and TIG
sessions I use it for. HF had replacement cover glasses for it,
anyway. Bought several, haven't had to use one yet.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 29, 6:41*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
*I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall
there are still batteries in it. *On the cheaper one the batteries
are not replaceable. *When they go bad you throw the helmet away. *So
far both of mine still work.

There's a webpage somewhere with a fellow documenting his replacement of the
batteries in his helmet. *Of course I can't find it at the moment....

Jon

Might have been me.
https://groups.google.com/group/rec....8c?fwc=1&hl=en