Ronnie

Default Autodarken welding helmets

I'm in the market for a new lid, tired of the POS Miller and it's
marbeled shade (it's been replaced once under warranty and the new one
does it too.)

I'm looking at Speedglas and Jackson helmets (unsure if these are the
only two quality brand helmets...?), and I don't mind paying for
quality, IF that's what I'm getting. Thought I would draw on your vast
knowledge for guidance.

I want a user adjustable shade (9-13), a really light neutral shade
when the arc stops (3 or less), and a quality headband / helmet. Don't
need side windows as I work alone and don't have anything to walk into
but would like a large view window to weld through.

Any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

jw

The Speedglas 9002X fits all of the above specs. I have one, and
really like it.

Can't speak for the Jackson, but I believe it is fairly similar.

JW

SteveB

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for a new lid, tired of the POS Miller and it's
marbeled shade (it's been replaced once under warranty and the new one
does it too.)

I'm looking at Speedglas and Jackson helmets (unsure if these are the
only two quality brand helmets...?), and I don't mind paying for
quality, IF that's what I'm getting. Thought I would draw on your vast
knowledge for guidance.

I want a user adjustable shade (9-13), a really light neutral shade
when the arc stops (3 or less), and a quality headband / helmet. Don't
need side windows as I work alone and don't have anything to walk into
but would like a large view window to weld through.

Any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I have a NexGen EQC, and like it. It is my first and only, so I have no
comparisons. The Jackson hood won't hold up the weight of the EQC, so you
have to go to the Huntsman 951P. But the Huntsman spring doesn't hold in
the EQC very well, so you have to contact Huntsman and have them send you a
spring, part # 10207.

Steve

I really don't like auto-darken helmets.

If you are welding, stop to grind, etc,
and resume (oops, forgot to turn
the helmet back on), you weld for
a few minutes before you realize
that the arc is BRIGHT.

What I would like is a helmet that
would darken with a push-button ON/OFF.
That way I can make sure **I**
darken the lens before I start arcing.

Rich

athos76

I prefer a solar powered auto... they have some nice features for the
settings... response, shade and light time.. I have the Jackson
Hellraiser, and its a nice helmet.

Rich, now what if you forgot to push the button? My helmet won't
shut down for 15 minutes....and I've made it a habit to push the button
whenever I flip my helmet down.

I think its speedglas that has a chin activated shield...flex your jaw
and the face raises up...not sure

Nick Müller

oops, forgot to turn
the helmet back on), you weld for
a few minutes before you realize
that the arc is BRIGHT.

But that's why they are called "auto"darken. Flip it over your head and
weld. The very first flash darkens them. Stop welding, and one second
later they "open".
Mine has no switch at all. Just a solar pannel (and maybe a little
battery), and a know to adjust darkness.
It's a Merkle, but that's only a rebranding.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

DeepDiver

wrote in message
ups.com...
I really don't like auto-darken helmets.

If you are welding, stop to grind, etc,
and resume (oops, forgot to turn
the helmet back on), you weld for
a few minutes before you realize
that the arc is BRIGHT.

Any decent auto-dark helmet will protect your eyes from IR and UV damage in
the fully light state. In other words, your eyes will not be damaged if, for
some reason, the lens does not darken. The worst that will happen is that
you'll see bright "spots" for a few moments (like after a flash photograph)
and you'll have to wait for your eyes to readjust to the ambient light
level.

What I would like is a helmet that
would darken with a push-button ON/OFF.
That way I can make sure **I**
darken the lens before I start arcing.

The idea behind auto-dark lenses is that it allows you to see **and hold**
your set-up before starting (and after stopping) the arc without having to
move your head or your hands. Being forced to manually press a button to
darken the helmet would defeat the purpose.

- Michael

I can't put into words how highly I reccomend the Huntsman four sensor
unit, part number HUT1105VXL over at the AirGas site.
It's very expensive but I've never handled anything better. I've gone
through a number of auto-darkening setups and two things always
bothered me: The small window and the two sensors getting blocked. When
you do any out of position welding the two sensors get blocked all the
time which means you get blinded for a few seconds and lose your place.
This one has a very large window but more importantly four sensors, one
at each corner of the unit, which makes it almost impossible to block
all of them. Stick it in a nice light helmet and you're set.

Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
Welding helmets Mouse UK diy 12 November 24th 03 02:04 PM
Q: Welding Magnesium tony Metalworking 10 November 6th 03 10:31 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM