Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding helmets

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:18:31 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message
I need to buy a present for a metalworker who has done us a
bunch of favors. [I'll get pictures up eventually.]

He does not like the HF autodark helmets as "They are too small
to use over my glasses" and this appears to mean the viewing
area.

Where can I find a automagic helmet with a window closer to his
current one...?

I have a NexGen in a Huntsman 951, and like it. It is best that you just
take the guy shopping, and let him find the one that fits his head the
best.

I wear a 7 1/2 to 75/8 size hat. I have either a very large brain, or
thick
skull, tests were inconclusive. The crown of my head is also high, and I
have to use the last hole in the over the top of the head adjuster. So,
everyone's head is different, and those holding mechanisms are different,
too, as is the functional part of the helmet. And don't forget that you
can
buy headbands that fit in other helmets, so it is possible to mix them.
You gotta let the guy pick it out, as he's the one who's going to wear it
a lot.

I'm also a fathead (7 3/4), and as a bonus, my forehead keeps getting
taller! When I need to tack or do simple fillet welds, they let me use
the company generic helmets; I think the best thing you could get someone
in that position is a cooling fan! :-)

Hey, maybe that's an idea for an invention - a welding hood with a built-in
cooling fan! I hate it when my forehead sweats under that leather headband,
and the hood slides all over.

Cheers!
Rich

You mean you dont wear a welding cap or dew rag, when wearing a hood???

why the hell not??? You like setting your hair on fire??

http://www.google.com/search?q=weldi...ient=firefox-a

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is